HF Habs: Rookie tournament 2019 (9-5 to 9-10)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why are you acting like all Fonstad did was put up good numbers? He legitimately looked good, especially in the 2018 POs.

Also acting like Fonstad didnt progress is dishonest. First, he already had high numbers, two he put up a similar PPG and more goals with a limited role.

Im pretty sure at the end of the day, both Hillis and Fonstad are signed.

How in the world can people say that he looked great in the 2018 PO when he actually played 7 games. So he looked good those 7 games because he scored 4 goals. Awesome. Really? Then, you wonder if his stats are so indicative to what kind of player he can be, why in the world would a PPG guy in his draft year ends up being a 5th rounder?

Then, yeah, everything can happen. Who also put some interesting numbers and was eventually let go. Fonstad is weak physically. In the end, aside from his skating, nothing else his high-end to say the least. He's weak physically. And often lost defensively. Tell me what kind of role a player with that kind of pedigree would give to a NHL team?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How in the world can people say that he looked great in the 2018 PO when he actually played 7 games. So he looked good those 7 games because he scored 4 goals. Awesome. Really? Then, you wonder if his stats are so indicative to what kind of player he can be, why in the world would a PPG guy in his draft year ends up being a 5th rounder?

Then, yeah, everything can happen. Who also put some interesting numbers and was eventually let go. Fonstad is weak physically. In the end, aside from his skating, nothing else his high-end to say the least. He's weak physically. And often lost defensively. Tell me what kind of role a player with that kind of pedigree would give to a NHL team?

he was easily one of their best players, MJ was one of the best teams in the CHL and Fonstad stood out as he was tied for the team lead in goals and they almost took that series as MJ had shaky goaltending. I watched every game and thought Fonstad was noticeable since I had never seen him before but he played well. I wasn't too impressed when I saw him this past season but he's had injuries and was moved around the lineup.

He is weak physically, very weak, I like his offensive skills though, good playmaker, decent shot. At this point I think he will top out as a solid AHLer but he's 19 so there's the chance that if he gets stronger, is willing to get his nose dirty perhaps he will turn into something more. For a 5th round pick the odds are so stacked against him to begin with. If they walk away from him then so be it but we'll see how his season goes.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
he was easily one of their best players, MJ was one of the best teams in the CHL and Fonstad stood out as he was tied for the team lead in goals and they almost took that series as MJ had shaky goaltending. I watched every game and thought Fonstad was noticeable since I had never seen him before but he played well. I wasn't too impressed when I saw him this past season but he's had injuries and was moved around the lineup.

He is weak physically, very weak, I like his offensive skills though, good playmaker, decent shot. At this point I think he will top out as a solid AHLer but he's 19 so there's the chance that if he gets stronger, is willing to get his nose dirty perhaps he will turn into something more. For a 5th round pick the odds are so stacked against him to begin with. If they walk away from him then so be it but we'll see how his season goes.

At this stage, tons of players have injuries. Not sure why Fonstad's ones are more out there than any others. We have no idea of the extent of it and how he was able or unable to play with them. ONe thing is sure, he didn't miss too many games in the playoffs. Pretty sure we can't compare his injury to Hillis who actually had to sit most of the season.

And so far this summer from the dev camp to the prospect camp, we've seen Hillis. We didn't see Fonstad at all. And if he doesn't have his chance on a top line, that's probably because he either doesn't deserve it or is just simply not good enough. So of course, they will wait and see how his season evolves. Yet, somebody needs to tell me how impressive PPG stats for 20 year old in juniors.....We've seen career ECHL'ers have PPG as 20 year old. So his game will not only have to be about how many points he put up....but how he plays the game. And the kid from the draft he was drafted to now, doesn't seem to have changed his game one bit.

Just saying....I see the same pattern in Fonstad that I saw in Bradley. Bradley too was invisible at every camp I saw. I said it at the time.....but was told the same thing I'M told now for Fonstad, it's just summer camps, it's not important. Then, Bradley goes in his junior team and elevate his offensive game and goes PPG. What transpired from not signing him, was that his offensive numbers was inflated becauses he played in a great team. Somehow for Fonstad, he's the victim of playing for a great team? Seems to me that he was playing with Noah Gregor a whole lot. Anyway, we will see. This year, PA is nothing like it was last year. So he will have to be the catalyst force of his team.

Again though, he could add 10-20 points in his 4th season as juniors, will that convince us to sign him? Or will he dramatically have to change the way he plays the game? Just that right now, I don't see giving him a contract at all. May he changed my mind over this upcoming year. McShane and Houde too would have to elevate their game big time.

Yeah and Christer Rockstrom incredible find will stay hidden.....not sure what they even saw in Henriksson....

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So does this Liam Hawel kid earn himself a contract? And if so, i'm going to assume it's going to be an AHL deal with the Rocket?

I didn't get to watch a lot of the rookie tournament or his game in Guelph last year, anyone more familiar with this player?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So does this Liam Hawel kid earn himself a contract? And if so, i'm going to assume it's going to be an AHL deal with the Rocket?

I didn't get to watch a lot of the rookie tournament or his game in Guelph last year, anyone more familiar with this player?
Big guy with skill who skates pretty well. Decent shot and vision. No real holes to his game as he's above average at everything. He's lanky though so he'll need to gain some muscle

Reactions: Foltronic

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
At this stage, tons of players have injuries. Not sure why Fonstad's ones are more out there than any others. We have no idea of the extent of it and how he was able or unable to play with them. ONe thing is sure, he didn't miss too many games in the playoffs. Pretty sure we can't compare his injury to Hillis who actually had to sit most of the season.

And so far this summer from the dev camp to the prospect camp, we've seen Hillis. We didn't see Fonstad at all. And if he doesn't have his chance on a top line, that's probably because he either doesn't deserve it or is just simply not good enough. So of course, they will wait and see how his season evolves. Yet, somebody needs to tell me how impressive PPG stats for 20 year old in juniors.....We've seen career ECHL'ers have PPG as 20 year old. So his game will not only have to be about how many points he put up....but how he plays the game. And the kid from the draft he was drafted to now, doesn't seem to have changed his game one bit.

Just saying....I see the same pattern in Fonstad that I saw in Bradley. Bradley too was invisible at every camp I saw. I said it at the time.....but was told the same thing I'M told now for Fonstad, it's just summer camps, it's not important. Then, Bradley goes in his junior team and elevate his offensive game and goes PPG. What transpired from not signing him, was that his offensive numbers was inflated becauses he played in a great team. Somehow for Fonstad, he's the victim of playing for a great team? Seems to me that he was playing with Noah Gregor a whole lot. Anyway, we will see. This year, PA is nothing like it was last year. So he will have to be the catalyst force of his team.

Again though, he could add 10-20 points in his 4th season as juniors, will that convince us to sign him? Or will he dramatically have to change the way he plays the game? Just that right now, I don't see giving him a contract at all. May he changed my mind over this upcoming year. McShane and Houde too would have to elevate their game big time.

That's the point, we don't know how his injuries impacted him, you talked about him in the playoffs and I pointed out that in the previous year he looked impressive and this year he was injured so that may explain why he didn't look good in the playoffs as when he came back he seemed to spend more time on the 4th line since they didn't really need him. But it's not like he wasn't a good player for them, since we are talking about someone that was 4th on the team in goals, 3rd in assists and points. Clearly a solid season. The problem is after a huge increase from his rookie year to his draft year, he put up the same points in 5 less games. Like McShane the goal scoring was up which is good to see but you would want to see more improvement over last year and that's troubling for both imo.

This is his age 19 season, not 20, if he goes back to the dub next year that would be his age 20 season. He's very much in the same ball park as Bradley but so is McShane, Houde and Hillis. I would hate to see them walk away from 4 picks plus Henriksson, they have never not signed 5 prospects in one year or even 4 if they sign Hillis who I like the best of the group that needs to be signed.

Last year at this time I didn't think Walford would be signed but as the season went on and he started scoring goals and putting up some points, I thought they would sign him. I was wrong. If Fonstad was the lone guy we had to sign then I would look at it differently but for me as of today I'd easily sign him over Houde while McShane would be a tougher call as I like his offensive game as well but he also has a number of holes in his game that are concerning.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Yeah and Christer Rockstrom incredible find will stay hidden.....not sure what they even saw in Henriksson....

Why do you feel the need to lie? Its his age 19 season, and he was PPG in his age 18 season too.

Also whats the difference between a player being at 75% and a player not playing at all? Both players dont show their true values.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
That's the point, we don't know how his injuries impacted him, you talked about him in the playoffs and I pointed out that in the previous year he looked impressive and this year he was injured so that may explain why he didn't look good in the playoffs as when he came back he seemed to spend more time on the 4th line since they didn't really need him. But it's not like he wasn't a good player for them, since we are talking about someone that was 4th on the team in goals, 3rd in assists and points. Clearly a solid season. The problem is after a huge increase from his rookie year to his draft year, he put up the same points in 5 less games. Like McShane the goal scoring was up which is good to see but you would want to see more improvement over last year and that's troubling for both imo.

This is his age 19 season, not 20, if he goes back to the dub next year that would be his age 20 season. He's very much in the same ball park as Bradley but so is McShane, Houde and Hillis. I would hate to see them walk away from 4 picks plus Henriksson, they have never not signed 5 prospects in one year or even 4 if they sign Hillis who I like the best of the group that needs to be signed.

Last year at this time I didn't think Walford would be signed but as the season went on and he started scoring goals and putting up some points, I thought they would sign him. I was wrong. If Fonstad was the lone guy we had to sign then I would look at it differently but for me as of today I'd easily sign him over Houde while McShane would be a tougher call as I like his offensive game as well but he also has a number of holes in his game that are concerning.

In the end, that's why people who keep praising the NUMBER of picks should just stop. It means nothing. Yeah, it would be tough to see them all go, and it would transform 2018 draft into something else yet.....still a possiblity to get out of that draft with Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson and Harris. And if that happens, we would have to say that it finally a fine draft. Not the best, but a fine one. But again, 11 or 12 picks don't matter.

Yeah, you are right, his 19 season since he turn out to be 20 in April only. Great. Doesn't change the fact that I didn't see much improvement over the regular season. And I saw nothiong at the dev. camp. And at the rookie camp. Only 1 year to go before making a decision. All great to say to me that it's way too early to pencil him as a guy not to be signed, but I'm going with my analysis as a player MIXED with what happened in the past not only here but elsewhere too. We needed d-men, we still let Tyskza and Walford go. We needed C's, we let Bradley go. But we signed a less productive Addison at the time 'cause we prefered the style of player he was playing. I would bet you what you want that Fonstad, right now, is nowhere close to the style of player the management want. And that he was chosen where he was chosen because of the points he had. And frankly, that's fine. I'm not disputing AT ALL the pick when it was made. I agreed. Just saying right now....he needs to do so much more than just be PPG.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Why do you feel the need to lie? Its his age 19 season, and he was PPG in his age 18 season too.

Also whats the difference between a player being at 75% and a player not playing at all? Both players dont show their true values.

Lie? How about making a mistake? Does that happen to you? I guess not. Why do you think I'd lie over something that's easy to check? lol

What's the difference between 75% and nothing at all? First, great that you know the percentage of which he was injured....why do you feel the need to lie? lol

Then, the difference is that in juniors, when you are so much better than everybody else, you can get your part of points even if you are injured. Contrary to guys who aren't there who can't have the points 'cause...they aren't there.

What's happening man? Are you related to him? Are you him? If so, hey sorry man, didn't want to offend you. Just saying I wouldn't give you or your cousin a contract. That's all.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Lie? How about making a mistake? Does that happen to you? I guess not. Why do you think I'd like over something that's easy to check? lol

What's the difference between 75% and nothing at all? First, great that you know the percentage of which he was injured....why do you feel the need to lie? lol

Then, the difference is that in juniors, when you are so much better than everybody else, you can get your part of points even if you are injured. Contrary to guys who aren't there who can't have the points 'cause...they aren't there.
So, aside from that, what does that mean? You give less value to a guy that matched his output from his draft year, an output that beats anything the injured player has done. If Hillis wasnt injured and did put up PPG, like Fonstad, wed all be ecstatic and if Fonstad was injured and did similar to Hillis, what would the opinion be? Its kinda ridiculous to me. Theres no consistency. You made up your mind about a player, which is inherently fine, its your opinion, but the way it was done isnt rational.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So, aside from that, what does that mean? You give less value to a guy that matched his output from his draft year, an output that beats anything the injured player has done. If Hillis wasnt injured and did put up PPG, like Fonstad, wed all be ecstatic and if Fonstad was injured and did similar to Hillis, what would the opinion be? Its kinda ridiculous to me. Theres no consistency. You made up your mind about a player, which is inherently fine, its your opinion, but the way it was done isnt rational.

You are solely looking at points. I'm looking at points AND style of play.

• There is no way that a guy like Fonstad who didn't seem to take 1 single pound of strength is a managment favorite. He's 164 lbs. Last time we had a guy that frail was Mark McMillan. Pretty sure he wasn't signed either. He's not strong at all both upper and lower body.
  • He's a medicore defensive player.
  • And he's awfully a peripheral player.
  • On top of that, not that big of an improvement in the regular season. A really bad postseason. And invisible during the development camp AND the rookie camp.
  • Then, consider the fact about our contract limit and every other kid that will need a contract next year if we sign Romanov, Caufield, Ylonen, Ikonen and maybe Hillis and Olofsson.

So all this is not rational? Really? What's more rational is that he was probably injured and he racks a lot of points????

If it takes you more? Fine. It doesn't for me. BUT....I also mentioned in my analysis AS OF TODAY, which means that if he changes the way he plays, commits himself to becoming stronger, take this PA team on his shoulders and make it better than it really is with the loss of many vets, I will OBVIOUSLY revise my position.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You are solely looking at points. I'm looking at points AND style of play. There is no way that a guy like Fonstad who didn't seem to take 1 single pound of strength. He's 164 lbs. Last time we had a guy that frail was Mark McMillan. Pretty sure he wasn't signed either. He's not strong at all both upper and lower body. He's a mess defensively. And he's awfully a peripheral player. On top of that, not that big of an improvement in the regular season. A really bad postseason. And invisible during the development camp AND the rookie camp. If it takes you more? Fine. It doesn't for me. BUT....I also mentioned in my analysis AS OF TODAY, which means that if he changes the way he plays, commits himself to becoming stronger, take this PA team on his shoulders and make it better than it really is with the loss of many vets, I will OBVIOUSLY revise my position.

To this day, I don't see how this will happen. ESPECIALLY when you consider the fact about our contract limit and every other kid that will need a contract next year if we sign Romanov, Caufield, Ylonen, Ikonen and maybe Hillis and Olofsson?

So all this is not rational? Really? What's more rational is that he was probably injured and he racks a lot of points????

What is there more to talk about than points when you talk about an offensive player? He produced, thats a positive. I have not claimed once that he did great this year, I claim your comparison is ridiculous. Youd also rather sign a player that didnt score a goal since being drafted over Fonstad?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What is there more to talk about than points when you talk about an offensive player? He produced, thats a positive. I have not claimed once that he did great this year, I claim your comparison is ridiculous. Youd also rather sign a player that didnt score a goal since being drafted over Fonstad?

What comparison? And which player didn't score a goal that I want to sign? And yes, when it's time to project players in the NHL, there are more things than points...if not...every PPG player in juniors would be NHL'ers....

Everytime a scout picks a player he talks about projection. And how it will translate in the pros. If it would be that easy than to solely looking at points, why didn't Kaliev not be a top 5 pick? And why in the world did Fonstad fell to the 5th round?

Yes he produced. That's a positive. Not producing would be catastrophic. You expect your players to improve. Not sure where I said that him producing in the regular season was negative.....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In the end, that's why people who keep praising the NUMBER of picks should just stop. It means nothing. Yeah, it would be tough to see them all go, and it would transform 2018 draft into something else yet.....still a possiblity to get out of that draft with Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Romanov, Olofsson and Harris. And if that happens, we would have to say that it finally a fine draft. Not the best, but a fine one. But again, 11 or 12 picks don't matter.

Yeah, you are right, his 19 season since he turn out to be 20 in April only. Great. Doesn't change the fact that I didn't see much improvement over the regular season. And I saw nothiong at the dev. camp. And at the rookie camp. Only 1 year to go before making a decision. All great to say to me that it's way too early to pencil him as a guy not to be signed, but I'm going with my analysis as a player MIXED with what happened in the past not only here but elsewhere too. We needed d-men, we still let Tyskza and Walford go. We needed C's, we let Bradley go. But we signed a less productive Addison at the time 'cause we prefered the style of player he was playing. I would bet you what you want that Fonstad, right now, is nowhere close to the style of player the management want. And that he was chosen where he was chosen because of the points he had. And frankly, that's fine. I'm not disputing AT ALL the pick when it was made. I agreed. Just saying right now....he needs to do so much more than just be PPG.

it's the number of top picks that you want to see, not like in the '08 to '15 drafts where 6 of the 8 drafts had 5 top 50 picks which is just brutal.

As for the '18 draft, if Kotka, Romanov and Harris all hit and are anywhere near their ceiling then that draft is going to be a huge win for Timmins for sure. Adding Ylonen or Hillis or Olofsson would just be icing on the cake. It's not like there was a lot of hope for the McShane, Fonstad, Houde, Gorniak, Stapley picks, as you just don't expect those mid to late round picks to do much. It's great when they do of course but since most draft picks are going to fail once you get outside that top 10-15-30-50, the odds are just so badly stacked against them based off the % of players that eek our a career that were drafted at those levels vs how many get draft each year.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they don't sign Fonstad, as he didn't progress last year as I said and that is troubling but I'm also looking at is as I don't see them walking away from 5 draft picks next summer since we should easily have the room with all the players that I assume won't be back so out of those 5 I could see 2 getting signed even if they aren't progressing as hoped.

But as I said I changed my tune on Walford since we badly needed LD's I thought he would get signed and Tyszka I felt it had more to do with something they didn't like mainly concussion or the fact that he was fighting in his first game back after being out for months with that concussion which clearly wasn't a very smart thing to do.

I said this last year but I remember Lapionte talking about Bitten and saying they talked to him about needing to stop trying to hit guys into the stands and try to just separate the puck from the player. Then I watched his final year of junior and thought he didn't seem to get the message. Now they ended up signing him but traded him before he even played a game so clearly they weren't too high on him and it made me wonder if it had something to do with them telling him to work on something and him at least seeming to not listen.

Who's to say what management even considers in order to sign these kids. Is Fonstad putting up over 220 points in his final 3 seasons, is that what would get him signed or would they look at him and think he's not worth it since he is too soft and weak physically. Do they take into consideration how some players can help our AHL team or is just based on NHL upside?

We'll see what happens this year, either he progresses and gets signed or doesn't progress and then maybe he doesn't get signed. I could see it if say Hillis gets signed and McShane improves enough and Fonstad stays the same then maybe they go with McShane and walk from Fonstad or if Fonstad has a big year and McShane or Houde don't improve much then perhaps they go with just Fonstad.

I just think easily not all 5 will get signed and we should be talking 4 guys since Henriksson shouldn't even be in the discussion to be signed since the guy got sent down from the USHL after turning 21. So out of the 4, I don't see them walking away from all 4 is my point, but I don't see them signing all 4 either. That's why for me I will wait and see how each does and go from there. I'm not expecting a whole lot to change for any of them outside of maybe Hillis as he plays a different game then the others that's more suited to the NHL imo.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
it's the number of top picks that you want to see, not like in the '08 to '15 drafts where 6 of the 8 drafts had 5 top 50 picks which is just brutal.

As for the '18 draft, if Kotka, Romanov and Harris all hit and are anywhere near their ceiling then that draft is going to be a huge win for Timmins for sure. Adding Ylonen or Hillis or Olofsson would just be icing on the cake. It's not like there was a lot of hope for the McShane, Fonstad, Houde, Gorniak, Stapley picks, as you just don't expect those mid to late round picks to do much. It's great when they do of course but since most draft picks are going to fail once you get outside that top 10-15-30-50, the odds are just so badly stacked against them based off the % of players that eek our a career that were drafted at those levels vs how many get draft each year.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if they don't sign Fonstad, as he didn't progress last year as I said and that is troubling but I'm also looking at is as I don't see them walking away from 5 draft picks next summer since we should easily have the room with all the players that I assume won't be back so out of those 5 I could see 2 getting signed even if they aren't progressing as hoped.

But as I said I changed my tune on Walford since we badly needed LD's I thought he would get signed and Tyszka I felt it had more to do with something they didn't like mainly concussion or the fact that he was fighting in his first game back after being out for months with that concussion which clearly wasn't a very smart thing to do.

I said this last year but I remember Lapionte talking about Bitten and saying they talked to him about needing to stop trying to hit guys into the stands and try to just separate the puck from the player. Then I watched his final year of junior and thought he didn't seem to get the message. Now they ended up signing him but traded him before he even played a game so clearly they weren't too high on him and it made me wonder if it had something to do with them telling him to work on something and him at least seeming to not listen.

Who's to say what management even considers in order to sign these kids. Is Fonstad putting up over 220 points in his final 3 seasons, is that what would get him signed or would they look at him and think he's not worth it since he is too soft and weak physically. Do they take into consideration how some players can help our AHL team or is just based on NHL upside?

We'll see what happens this year, either he progresses and gets signed or doesn't progress and then maybe he doesn't get signed. I could see it if say Hillis gets signed and McShane improves enough and Fonstad stays the same then maybe they go with McShane and walk from Fonstad or if Fonstad has a big year and McShane or Houde don't improve much then perhaps they go with just Fonstad.

I just think easily not all 5 will get signed and we should be talking 4 guys since Henriksson shouldn't even be in the discussion to be signed since the guy got sent down from the USHL after turning 21. So out of the 4, I don't see them walking away from all 4 is my point, but I don't see them signing all 4 either. That's why for me I will wait and see how each does and go from there. I'm not expecting a whole lot to change for any of them outside of maybe Hillis as he plays a different game then the others that's more suited to the NHL imo.

Just that at one point....numbers won't work. For next year, I know, way too soon, but just for fun...we are at 27 contracts. Obvious contracts to be resigned are Domi, Juulsen, Mete. That's 30. We all know that you need 2 way guys for the AHL team. And we don't know for sure, but you have to think that guys ike Caufield, Harvey-Pinard, Ikonen, Olofsson, Romanov and Ylonen will be signed. That's 36. Geez, if Khisamutdinov does great this year....he won't be signed next summer? Anyway, let's say he isn't signed. That's still 14 left. And even if you say that Weise won't be back, and you could easily forget about Peca, Hudon, Ouellet, Waked and all those AHL'ers....the names aren't important, it's spots that you have to fill. Of course, some vet spots will be taken by the kids I mentioned. But it will be damn close again for 50 next year too. And it won't improve with the ones we just drafted this summer...and the other 12 we are about to draft next summer.....

Reason why you need to be picky with your picks when it's time to sign them. But Bergevin and Co should try to to start packaging lower picks to get better picks. Transform your 12 into 7. And have those 7 in the top 125 instead of 12 in the entire draft....In 2018, that's what we did. We actually had 8 in the top 123.

'Cause it's not true that we are going to make the CHL kids spend all 4 or 5 years in the CHL 'cause of the contract limit...you don't f*** up a kid's development because of a numbers game. So time to discard a few picks. Time to package later picks. We are at quality pick now not quantity pick.

But somehow if the team is afraid of that numbers pick, I suggest you don't spend too much time scouting the CHL....it will be US and Europe a whole lot next year. With a few Q.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just that at one point....numbers won't work. For next year, I know, way too soon, but just for fun...we are at 27 contracts. Obvious contracts to be resigned are Domi, Juulsen, Mete. That's 30. We all know that you need 2 way guys for the AHL team. And we don't know for sure, but you have to think that guys ike Caufield, Harvey-Pinard, Ikonen, Olofsson, Romanov and Ylonen will be signed. That's 36. Geez, if Khisamutdinov does great this year....he won't be signed next summer? Anyway, let's say he isn't signed. That's still 14 left. And even if you say that Weise won't be back, and you could easily forget about Peca, Hudon, Ouellet, Waked and all those AHL'ers....the names aren't important, it's spots that you have to fill. Of course, some vet spots will be taken by the kids I mentioned. But it will be damn close again for 50 next year too. And it won't improve with the ones we just drafted this summer...and the other 12 we are about to draft next summer.....

Reason why you need to be picky with your picks when it's time to sign them. But Bergevin and Co should try to to start packaging lower picks to get better picks. Transform your 12 into 7. And have those 7 in the top 125 instead of 12 in the entire draft....In 2018, that's what we did. We actually had 8 in the top 123.

'Cause it's not true that we are going to make the CHL kids spend all 4 or 5 years in the CHL 'cause of the contract limit...you don't **** up a kid's development because of a numbers game. So time to discard a few picks. Time to package later picks. We are at quality pick now not quantity pick.

But somehow if the team is afraid of that numbers pick, I suggest you don't spend too much time scouting the CHL....it will be US and Europe a whole lot next year. With a few Q.

Yea they have a lot of decisions to make as there are a number of players that shouldn't be back unless they do really well.

UFA's - Weise, Kinkaid, Peca, Thompson, Folin, Belzile, Varone, Olofsson, Barber, McCarron.

RFA's - Domi, Mete, Juulsen, Evans, Cousins, Hudon, Vejdemo, McNiven, Sklenicka, Ouellet, Waked

Incoming say Caufield, Romanov, Hillis, Ylonen, Fairbrother, RHP and say 1 or 2 more prospects out of McShane, Fonstad, Khisamutdinov, Ikonen, Harris, LeGurrier

So that would put us at say around 42 contracts if most UFA's are gone and say 6 current RFA's are back.

Now they will need some AHL vets unless they keep a few of the current guys. But then there's also trades, who's to say if we don't sell if we miss the playoffs again.

So we should be up against the 50 for sure, 48 or 49 I would think. So yes they will need to be very careful about who they sign although I could see a few players traded imo starting at goalie as we currently have too many and then on defense between Reilly, Alzner, Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson, as that's a problem assuming we carry 7 D in the NHL then you have too many LD's in Laval while Brook and Fleury are at RD unless Juulsen gets sent down and one of the LD's would then stick with the Habs.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And if Hillis can't stay healthy, you have to think that if letting Tyszka go was a health issue....maybe we'll see the same thing with Hillis. Kid had his share of injuries already.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
every teams got a guy like fonstad, he's a nothing prospect.

As of today, that's what I think too. But Mrb1p takes it personal 'cause he loved the kid at draft day and thought he should have been chosen much earlier. Not sure why he does that, I mean, it's okay to possibly be wrong. Geez, I said at the time that Romanov was a dumb pick....and that both Fonstad AND McShane were great value picks...lol But at one point, you can and have the right to change your opinion based on different factors. As of today, that's all I'm doing. I will still think that Fonstad was awesome value at that rank. I have no choice saying that. I'M a big advocate of BPA. Clearly, Fonstad at that rank, was BPA.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
As of today, that's what I think too. But Mrb1p takes it personal 'cause he loved the kid at draft day and thought he should have been chosen much earlier. Not sure why he does that, I mean, it's okay to possibly be wrong. Geez, I said at the time that Romanov was a dumb pick....and that both Fonstad AND McShane were great value picks...lol But at one point, you can and have the right to change your opinion based on different factors. As of today, that's all I'm doing. I will still think that Fonstad was awesome value at that rank. I have no choice saying that. I'M a big advocate of BPA. Clearly, Fonstad at that rank, was BPA.

I said the same thing about Romanov. I dont care about being wrong. What I care is that people jump the gun, and this was the whole conversation, but Im sure you missed it.

Obviously every team has at least one prospect like Fonstad, heck, most team have a prospect like Caufield and he may be our best prospect.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I said the same thing about Romanov. I dont care about being wrong. What I care is that people jump the gun, and this was the whole conversation, but Im sure you missed it.

Obviously every team has at least one prospect like Fonstad, heck, most team have a prospect like Caufield and he may be our best prospect.

Jump the gun....so what you are telling me is that you will easily go from he's a prospect that should be signed....to he's not worth it in 9 months? 'Cause you know that this is the decision the Habs will have to take right? You know that I'm not saying to let a guy in his draft + 1 while we have 4 more years as if he's a NCAA prospect? They will haveh to make a decision on him after this season.

You don't think that the management already have an opinion on the subject and that they easily could have in mind....kid is not doing enough and he better step it up if he wants a chance to be signed? Me already going with I wouldn't sign him based on every single point I made in a previous post makes it irrelevant EVEN if I said as a premise BASED ON TODAY? But I'm sure you missed it.....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jump the gun....so what you are telling me is that you will easily go from he's a prospect that should be signed....to he's not worth it in 9 months? 'Cause you know that this is the decision the Habs will have to take right? You know that I'm not saying to let a guy in his draft + 1 while we have 4 more years as if he's a NCAA prospect? They will haveh to make a decision on him after this season.

You don't think that the management already have an opinion on the subject and that they easily could have in mind....kid is not doing enough and he better step it up if he wants a chance to be signed? Me already going with I wouldn't sign him based on every single point I made in a previous post makes it irrelevant EVEN if I said as a premise BASED ON TODAY? But I'm sure you missed it.....
You still miss the point.

You said youd sign Olofsson, Houde, hillis, and a few others but not Fonstad.

None of these guys have proven anything more than Fonstad and all there is here is that youve seen Fonstad suck in like five games.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
You still miss the point.

You said youd sign Olofsson, Houde, hillis, and a few others but not Fonstad.

None of these guys have proven anything more than Fonstad and all there is here is that youve seen Fonstad suck in like five games.

Not sure who misses the point. I didn't say I'd sign Olofsson. I said that at one point when it's time to know who you will sign, you need to think about what is signed and what's going to be signed. But I didn't say I'd sign him for sure? Where do you read this? Can't believe that you are talking about me missing the point when my original post has Houde and McShane in the I need more time but they have to impress me a lot to NOT want them gone? How the heck am I signing Houde? Hillis? Yep. Because of almost the entire season he missed last year. This year will be the year he missed last year. Seems to me that you might have no choice to sign him because of that missed season, even if in the end it means, after his ELC contract, to let him go. The only guy in the original post I said to be signed is him. Then, yes, in recent post, I said that you have to take into account future guys to be signed 'cause an ELC is 3 years. IN the contract that will most likely be signed, tell me that you prefer Fonstad better than Caulfield, Romanov, Ylonen and Ikonen...and then I mentioned MAYBE Hillis and Olofsson....

And I'm the one who constantly missing the point?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Loved Hawel during dev. camp. Was more quiet during rookie camp. Got an invite because of his combination of size and speed. And that's all fine with me. Never thought this kid deserved to be picked...but an inviation? Why not.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Loved Hawel during dev. camp. Was more quiet during rookie camp. Got an invite because of his combination of size and speed. And that's all fine with me. Never thought this kid deserved to be picked...but an inviation? Why not.

With the Habs sitting at 48 contracts, unless they ship some contracts out and not take any in return, I think that if Hawel is indeed signed, it would be an AHL deal. I'd be surprised if he comes out of this on an ELC.

Unfortunately Struthers was injured and missed the rookie camp, but I feel the same way about him. He wasn't cut yesterday when they sent most of the invites back to their Junior teams. But he's also not listed on the Habs main camp roster. So my guess is he will take part in Laval's camp later this month if he's healthy. And he, too, I believe if he ends up signed, it would be an AHL deal.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind that one bit. I like both Hawel and Struthers. Would be happy to see them in Laval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad