HF Habs: Rookie tournament 2019 (9-5 to 9-10)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
RHP deserves to go at the main camp even if he doesn't play one single game. Just be around the pros would be great for him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Alain is amongst the best players out there. But Alain is by no means a top prospect.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah we saw how he outplayed everybody in tihe playoffs and during the Mem Cup. And clearly what count the most when it's time to sign a player it's not where he is going, but where he has been. Makes perfect sense. 'Cause clearly my opinion is solely due to those 2 games..lol

By the way, Matt Bradley too put points in the board and wasn't signed.

How do you analyse the fact that Fonstad outplayed Hillis? And McShane? How do you not understand that with the quantity of prospects coming and having to be signed, we will have to make choices?
Fonstad outplayed them all in 2018 POs
In 2018 and 2019 regular season.

Youre essentialy using two preseason rookie tournament games and playoffs where he was buried on a third line and playing injured to tell us he sucks.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
My mistake. I thought Alain was 86, Cox is 86. And he's clearly amongst the best out there.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Fonstad outplayed them all in 2018 POs
In 2018 and 2019 regular season.

Youre essentialy using two preseason rookie tournament games and playoffs where he was buried on a third line and playing injured to tell us he sucks.

I'M actually not only using those 2 games. I thought by the time you are here, and with the time I'm here, you'd know by now that I never use only 2 games to determine who I like or not, but I guess I'M expecting too much of some people.

And you are using stats watching in the regular season to tell us how much he outplayed a Hillis who was injured most of the time. And what they did in 2018 is so irrelevant when it's time to analyse somebody's progression. If you like or only do stats watching, you'd notice that progression is important in stats and he showed nothing there in 2019. Awesome how you use Fonstad injuries to explain a poor postseason yet still continue mentioning how he outplayed Hillis while Hills wasn't there at all.....But I guess we will see are we who is going to be signed or not? Stay tuned.

By the way, Matt Bradley outproduced Jeremiah Addison. Guess who the Habs signed when it was time to do so?

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I'M actually not only using those 2 games. I thought by the time you are here, and with the time I'm here, you'd know by now that I never use only 2 games to determine who I like or not, but I guess I'M expecting too much of some people.

And you are using stats watching in the regular season to tell us how much he outplayed a Hillis who was injured most of the time. And what they did in 2018 is so irrelevant when it's time to analyse somebody's progression. If you like or only do stats watching, you'd notice that progression is important in stats and he showed nothing there in 2019.

Awesome how you use Fonstad injuries to explain a poor postseason yet still continue mentioning how he outplayed Hillis while Hills wasn't there at all.....

But I guess we will see are we who is going to be signed or not? Stay tuned.

Haven't been a fan of Fonstad since his U18. I thought he looked lazy and not willing to batlle for pucks and I've seen the same during playoffs and at the memorial cup. Been way more impressed by McShane, not even close. Sure Fonstad put up points but his overall play is highly quistionable for me. At this time, I wouldn't waste a contract on him. Player his size needs to be combative (Gallagher) or have elite skills (Marchessault). Never know though, there's still time for him to fix these issues.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Haven't been a fan of Fonstad since his U18. I thought he looked lazy and not willing to batlle for pucks and I've seen the same during playoffs and at the memorial cup. Been way more impressed by McShane, not even close. Sure Fonstad put up points but his overall play is highly quistionable for me. At this time, I wouldn't waste a contract on him. Player his size needs to be combative (Gallagher) or have elite skills (Marchessault). Never know though, there's still time for him to fix these issues.

That's what I think too. It's not solely a question of stats. It's a question of how it translates. Yes, it's better and like real important to draft players that have stats. The worst of NHl grinders once had a whole lot of stats to show for in juniors. But you can't only look at guys putting stats in juniors and tell us that they are automatically a better prospect. Makes no sense. He'll have to crush this year if he ever wants a shot at signing. But I just don't see it. Didn't seem to me as a guy who got bigger over the summer too.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

And you are using stats watching in the regular season to tell us how much he outplayed a Hillis who was injured most of the time. And what they did in 2018 is so irrelevant when it's time to analyse somebody's progression. If you like or only do stats watching, you'd notice that progression is important in stats and he showed nothing there in 2019. Awesome how you use Fonstad injuries to explain a poor postseason yet still continue mentioning how he outplayed Hillis while Hills wasn't there at all.....But I guess we will see are we who is going to be signed or not? Stay tuned.

By the way, Matt Bradley outproduced Jeremiah Addison. Guess who the Habs signed when it was time to do so?
Jeeze, are we still talking about Fonstad. He's a poor man's Aaron Palushaj.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Jeeze, are we still talking about Fonstad. He's a poor man's Aaron Palushaj.

Well I just said that I wouldn't give him a contract next summer and it seems that I shouldn't have said that....lol

But he's still Habs property so we can talk about him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Happy for Plouffe. Kid looked awesome today. Always thought he deserved a late draft pick. Not sure where it goes for him from now on. Same with Hawel.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Well I just said that I wouldn't give him a contract next summer and it seems that I shouldn't have said that....lol

But he's still Habs property so we can talk about him.
I agree with you. Except for his speed, today I don't see anything that would make me sign him.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I agree with you. Except for his speed, today I don't see anything that would make me sign him.

Mind you, I was fine with the pick. Made sense. But as the year progressed, he's just dimes a dozen. Still remains to be seen if he's even AHL material. Just that with our contract limit, he is surely with Henriksson, the first that it's easy to go. Probably Houde will join them easily too. Never liked Houde. Geez, I think I liked Fonstad more than I ever liked Houde so.....McShane....it's a different story. But he'll have to do so much more I believe.

Hillis for me is protected 'cause of the missed year last year...and what seemed to be the Timmins love about him....But the contract limit might play a role for them all.

And if it does, people will have to revisit their ''it's incredible we have 12-players to draft.....'' If you need to release easily half....not sure how great it is. Maybe, we will have to draft more Americans and Euros...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Why are you acting like all Fonstad did was put up good numbers? He legitimately looked good, especially in the 2018 POs.

Also acting like Fonstad didnt progress is dishonest. First, he already had high numbers, two he put up a similar PPG and more goals with a limited role.

Im pretty sure at the end of the day, both Hillis and Fonstad are signed.

This is true to an extent, but funny enough, when Ive been impressed by Fonzie, he was a complete buzzsaw. Hes really inconsistent, thats for sure.

When you compare both McShane and Fonstad, the thing is, Allan may have a bit better of a shot, but aside from that, his physical packagr sucks. Hes such a bad skater and he doesnt move his feet, so its almost impossible he ever makes it. Fonstad has done those things, but he was mostly unimpressive this year, because of circumstances he couldnt control and because he just flat out didnt work hard enough.

Its kinda sad that people would write off Fonstad off a bad year but give the benefit of the doubt to Hillis because he was injured. I liked Hillis a lot in his draft year, but he hasnt stepped up either.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Can Hawel be signed to a one-year AHL contract? Or does he have to be signed to an ELC with the Habs counting towards the 50 contracts limit? I ask since he's in a different situation than a guy like Harvey-Pinard with not having been drafted by the Habs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even with his struggles last year I would be really surprised if we don't end up signing Hillis. Timmins was extremely high on him at the draft so he's probably got some leash and with his injuries last year it makes even more sense to be patient with him. The rest I can see going unsigned if they don't pick it up this year.

I would think Hillis gets signed easily unless he struggles this season.

Here's how I see it today for the upcoming summer:

I want him signed: Hillis. Expecting a great year out of him.
I want them gone: Fondstad and Henriksson
I need more time...but they need to impress me a lot to NOT want them gone: Houde and McShane

Henriksson is much worse then Koberstein so no way is he getting signed.

I would have Fonstad and McShane in the need to see more, Houde I just don't see them signing unless he has a breakout year.

I understand and could deal with that too. Thing is, the day they decided not to sign Matt Bradley, and clearly they weren't wrong, I fail to see what Fonstad will be able to do more than Bradley to be signed.

To me right now, and I might be wrong, I think we saw the best of Fonstad. Type of player that probably already touched the ceiling. His playoffs and Mem Cup performance was abysmal. And as much as those 2 games didn't mean a lot....you still didn't see anything from the guy at all.

Fonstad was injured in the playoffs so we don't know how much that impacted him when he returned. He was easily one of their best players in the playoffs the previous season vs Brook's team.

That said there are some serious holes in his game, he's weak physically, needs to get his nose dirty more, not be so easy to push off the puck. I do think he will be a good AHLer and wouldn't be surprised to see him signed but we also have to see how the roster unfolds by summer as we could have a very large incoming class depending on what they do with Caufield, Romanov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Harris, Khisamutdinov (his contract is up).

We should be looking at a large amount of players leaving either trades or won't be re-signed depending of course on how the season goes. Weise, Peca, Varone, Hudon, Folin, Alzner, Ouellet, Barber, Belzile, Olofsson, Waked, Lindgren or Kinkaid, Thompson, Cousins, Sklenicka. All but Hudon, Ouellet, Sklenicka, Waked and Cousins are UFA's and they know they need to make room if there's a large incoming class.

So for anyone watching, who is looking good today?

I only saw a little of the end, Hillis scored a nice goal from in close and Cox as well.

Can Hawel be signed to a one-year AHL contract? Or does he have to be signed to an ELC with the Habs counting towards the 50 contracts limit? I ask since he's in a different situation than a guy like Harvey-Pinard with not having been drafted by the Habs.

yes they can sign him to a one year AHL contract. If the Habs like him enough they would sign him to an ECL so they keep him for sure as an AHL contract means another NHL team could sign him. But I would think he would be looking at an AHL contract since we are at 48 contracts now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->