Pre-Game Talk: Rookie camp discussion

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You can be bad at running an NHL PP and be a good AHL coach. One doesn't preclude the other.

It became obvious after the assistant coaching changes that McLellan was micromanaging the PP deployment. Woodcroft definitely took undeserved heat for what was happening when he was answering to McLellan. I was of course a constant Steelcroft basher :)

Reactions: MC2D and Aerchon

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It became obvious after the assistant coaching changes that McLellan was micromanaging the PP deployment. Woodcroft definitely took undeserved heat for what was happening when he was answering to McLellan.

I said at the time, the head coach always has influence on the PP but got yelled down on this board for even suggesting it. Still, just because you can coach in the AHL doesn't really mean that much. Todd McLellan would be a stellar AHL coach most likely too, you look at the Oilers pre-season record the last two years and they look great against half AHL/half NHL rosters.

Not so easy when you have to play full NHL rosters in game's that count for 2 points.

Reactions: Beerfish

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I said at the time, the head coach always has influence on the PP but got yelled down on this board for even suggesting it. Still, just because you can coach in the AHL doesn't really mean that much. Todd McLellan would be a stellar AHL coach most likely too, you look at the Oilers pre-season record the last two years and they look great against half AHL/half NHL rosters.

Not so easy when you have to play full NHL rosters in game's that count for 2 points.
Dallas Eakins is a very good AHL coach too.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

For sure, I wouldn't predict right now that Woodcroft is ready to jump into prime time. But when he was with the Oilers I thought he was a stubborn guy insisting on constantly jamming square pegs in round holes and sticking with things that aren't working as they fail for months. I don't think we see that in his personality now that he is running his own ship.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Man, I'm so pumped for this game. Gonna be great to see Bouchard, Maksimov, Lavoie, Samorukov, Benson, Marody, McLeod, Stafin.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Could someone who knows how make a GDT? Or will this thread suffice?

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Yes because we thought he was why our PP sucked. Turned out he has much less control than we were led to believe.

He has been given control of Bakersfield and the results speak for themselves. Also he has actually been interviewed now by the media and you can see how hockey knowledge and why the players seem to love him.
You might seem him replace Tippett in the future.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You might seem him replace Tippett in the future.

Tippet signed relatively cheap and short.

If he has success obviously he stocks his term. But let's be honest, he is not a great coach and it's not a great team I will be surprised if he lasts 2 years. Then finally maybe the Oilers bring in a young coach like Woodcroft to hopefully shake things up and get the Oilers playing the way they need to win in the "newer faster " nhl.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Happy to see Bouchard’s first step improve and watch his dynamic puck moving ability.

He’s a one man breakout.

I’d like him to spend a year on the top pairing working in the AHL with Manson and Woodcroft. We’ve got a good system there right now.

Benson was pretty good last night as well.

Reactions: ujju2

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Tippet signed relatively cheap and short.

If he has success obviously he stocks his term. But let's be honest, he is not a great coach and it's not a great team I will be surprised if he lasts 2 years. Then finally maybe the Oilers bring in a young coach like Woodcroft to hopefully shake things up and get the Oilers playing the way they need to win in the "newer faster " nhl.
He was considering an advisor role with Seattle so maybe he moves into that.

That's your opinion on his coaching ability. I'm happy with the hire and I think Holland has improved the team enough to make the playoffs if they can stay healthy.

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Happy to see Bouchard’s first step improve and watch his dynamic puck moving ability.

He’s a one man breakout.

I’d like him to spend a year on the top pairing working in the AHL with Manson and Woodcroft. We’ve got a good system there right now.

Benson was pretty good last night as well.

We could REALLY use Bouchard's talents but I agree that it's in his best interest to go to the AHL for some time and work really hard on his defensive reads, positioning, etc. As an added bonus we can see what we have in guys like Bear and Persson on the big club.

Reactions: snipes and ujju2

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
We could REALLY use Bouchard's talents but I agree that it's in his best interest to go to the AHL for some time and work really hard on his defensive reads, positioning, etc. As an added bonus we can see what we have in guys like Bear and Persson on the big club.

This, we aren’t doing much damage this year, Jones, Bear,Lagesson are closer to waiver eligibility, sort out who in that group is legit and let Bouchard develop further. Holland has said in one of his press conferences that Bouchard will have to steal someone’s job to make it so let’s hope that management holds true to that

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Even with the possibility of Bouchard being in the AHL all year, do you think he'll be up for another 9 games as a test drive?

I actually think he gets a shorter leash. Unless he rips it up I think he only gets 4 or 5.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Even with the possibility of Bouchard being in the AHL all year, do you think he'll be up for another 9 games as a test drive?

I was going to say he will definitely then recalled we have Holland here. Holland will be keeping Bouchard in the A as long as he can, we have other depth in Bakersfield to call up before him. Holland knows hockey.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I was going to say he will definitely then recalled we have Holland here. Holland will be keeping Bouchard in the A as long as he can, we have other depth in Bakersfield to call up before him. Holland knows hockey.

All I hope is, he better not pull a Brendan Smith (drafted in 2007 and didn't get a full season look until 2013-14).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad