Pre-Game Talk: Rookie camp discussion

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I get the whole development thing, but Bouchard looked good in the NHL last year.

Trade a d or 2 after a few games. Let's get a good young winger !

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm probably the biggest backer of Bouchard here (he's at the same level (notch above) that guy that Buffalo mistakenly picked ahead at #1)... and I agree... he wasn't that great in his short stint on the big club.. but that was a tiny sample as well just to give him a taste and something to let him know what it was like at the NHL level and what he needed to work and improve on.

I'd be surprised if he makes the team out of camp... as the team stands right now... I think they'll want 2 of Jones/Bear/Persson/Lagesson on the roster when the season begins and they'll want Bouchard getting big minutes in Bakersfield... and likely bring up Bouchard later in the year when/if injuries hit the big club and after Bouchard gets a solid stretch of pro hockey under his belt at the AHL level.

There's no reason to rush him when the team has several other options to look at on the team in the 1st half of the season... they absolutely need to make some choices on Jones/Bear/Persson/Lagesson to see what they can do at the NHL level before waivers become a factor next year as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can be bad at running an NHL PP and be a good AHL coach. One doesn't preclude the other.

Doesn't even need to be so specifically stated.

More clearly you can be a good AHL coach, and a bad NHL coach, period. One does not preclude the other.

Because they are very different motivational things.

In AHL the coach has the benefit of having players in subordinate position that are dependent on the AHL coach (in most orgs) to develop, and get to their goal of playing with the NHL club. In that way the AHL coach has so much more authority over their select group of players that an NHL coach has.

In the NHL coaches (most) are in a subordinate position to players and certainly rookie coaches are. This is a completely different dynamic. As Eakins perfectly demonstrated the same controlling bootcamp rhetoric that worked for him in the AHL didn't work here at least partly because he didn't realize (how couldn't he) that he was going to be subordinate to the players, here, at this level.

For a guy that claims he was always "up in the stands paying attention" Eakins is pretty dumb. The first thing I stated was his gongshow bootcamp approach (along with coach Ference being sidekick) was going to fail miserably and the players would consider it a joke.

You can't be a kick ass NHL coach with zero earned NHL cred and without the kind of backup that would see you through any misfires.

Keenan did it but he was a lot more astute than Eakins and had the full faith of the Flyers org and the players. He was a match for those teams.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I get the whole development thing, but Bouchard looked good in the NHL last year.

Trade a d or 2 after a few games. Let's get a good young winger !

Trade a D or two from one of the worst d-corps in the league?

That will go over well.

Reactions: snipes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bouchard last year, relatively speaking, looked good to me in the nhl.

As good as Jones, who many seem strangley high on.

Reminded me a bit of Schultz. Which obviously isn't great but for his first few nhl games I don't think that's a terrible thing.

I would think a Schultz level player would almost be Bouchard's floor.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Joel Persson is such a damn wildcard. Can't wait to watch him play.

Could be anywhere from 2nd pair NHL to 3rd pair AHL. I honestly have no idea.

That to me is the biggest wildcard of training camp. This guy put up great numbers in Sweden. Hopefully it translates here in Edmonton

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Canucks fan dropping by.. was just curious to see how ur younger goalies are doing? We are in a similar spot trying to develop a future number 1.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Canucks fan dropping by.. was just curious to see how ur younger goalies are doing? We are in a similar spot trying to develop a future number 1.

Little early to say.

They haven't played this season yet, and most of the prospect goalies the Oilers have are either going into their first or second pro season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad