Pre-Game Talk: Rookie camp discussion

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Almost every fan on HF oil hated Woodcroft before last season.
Yes because we thought he was why our PP sucked. Turned out he has much less control than we were led to believe.

He has been given control of Bakersfield and the results speak for themselves. Also he has actually been interviewed now by the media and you can see how hockey knowledge and why the players seem to love him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting. I like the pairings of Benson-Marody and McLeod-Maksimov. I'd have liked to see Lavoie a bit higher, but he and Safin should dominate with their size.

And obviously the Samorukov-Bouchard pairing will be a treat.
The Samorukov - Bouchard pairing will imo be the most dominate pairing in the AHL this year

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Loving all these interviews. Particularly noted Woodcroft's emphasis on letting players play their own games within the team structure. That's definitely helping the guys in Bakersfield in their development.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Loving all these interviews. Particularly noted Woodcroft's emphasis on letting players play their own games within the team structure. That's definitely helping the guys in Bakersfield in their development.
Not just that, working with a player and taking their input into account. I think he said something like "the players opinion matters because ultimately it is them playing on the ice"

Reactions: ujju2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes because we thought he was why our PP sucked. Turned out he has much less control than we were led to believe.

He has been given control of Bakersfield and the results speak for themselves. Also he has actually been interviewed now by the media and you can see how hockey knowledge and why the players seem to love him.

You can be bad at running an NHL PP and be a good AHL coach. One doesn't preclude the other.

Reactions: dustrock

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Two first year players in the AHL?

I highly doubt they will be the best pairing in the AHL, the AHL isn't an easy league to play in.
They playing apart were the 2 best defenders in the OHL.

Bouchard, offensively dominated the AHL playoffs in the games he played (going a PPG).

They, most likely will be playing together with their games complimenting eachother. They may not be the best 2 defenders in the league but I don't think any team will have 2 guys like that together.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I highly doubt they will be the best pairing in the AHL, the AHL isn't an easy league to play in.

Bouchard is a dominant offensive player at the AHL level already and Samorukov has the tools to be a dominant defensive player who can chip in offense as well. Without going through the list of what every team has on D in the AHL I think that these 2 could be an absolute force at the AHL level.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They playing apart were the 2 best defenders in the OHL.

Bouchard, offensively dominated the AHL playoffs in the games he played (going a PPG).

They, most likely will be playing together with their games complimenting eachother. They may not be the best 2 defenders in the league but I don't think any team will have 2 guys like that together.
There is still a gap between OHL and AHL play.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Bouchard is a dominant offensive player at the AHL level already and Samorukov has the tools to be a dominant defensive player who can chip in offense as well. Without going through the list of what every team has on D in the AHL I think that these 2 could be an absolute force at the AHL level.
It was a 7 game sample size in extremely sheltered minutes.

I'm not saying they wont be good, but to be the best pairing in the AHL in their first year? Unlikely.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It was a 7 game sample size in extremely sheltered minutes.

I'm not saying they wont be good, but to be the best pairing in the AHL in their first year? Unlikely.

Defensively I would agree, all around though? I think they have a shot.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

This is mildly concerning....

That’s the spot Puljujarvi should have been getting set up on the PP

Bouchard has 8 points in 8 games last year during the playoffs. They were also the two best dmen in the OHL last year. I could see it. A lot of OHL people like Samorukov more then Bouchard.

Reactions: Homesick

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

That’s if they even get sent down. I’m tempted to go to the game tonight just to see those two.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Defensively I would agree, all around though? I think they have a shot.
Fair enough, I think they complement each other near perfectly. And I wouldn’t be surprised if by the end of the year they’re the top 2 D on the condors.

Pretty excited to see them this year, plan on getting the package to watch condors games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad