Pre-Game Talk: Rookie camp discussion

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers rookies play the Flames rookies on Sept 7th (in Red Deer) and 10th (in Calgary, no home dates), who are you most excited to watch? Personally I’m really curious to observe Ryan McLeod, Tyler Benson, and Cooper Marody. There are roster spots up front up for grabs and I think those three have decent shots at taking them - McLeod less so, but he was a very late cut last year.

Both games are 7PM starts, watchable on EdmontonOilers.com and (I assume) the YouTube feeds. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Goalies:

Stuart Skinner
Dylan Wells
Olivier Rodrigue

Defence:

Jaxon Bellamy
Evan Bouchard
Ethan Cap
Logan Day
Brendan De Jong
Vincent Desharnais
Dmitri Samorukov

Forwards

Tyler Benson
Cameron Hebig
Steven Iacobellis
Liam Keeler
Raphael Lavoie
Kirill Maksimov
Cooper Marody
Ryan McLeod
Ostap Safin
Beau Starrett
Jakub Stukel
Nolan Vesey
Kailer Yamamoto

If I had to hazard a guess at lines:

Benson-Marody-Lavoie
Maksimov-McLeod-Yamamoto
Keeler-Iacobellis-Hebig
Stukel-Starrett-Safin
Vesey

Samorukov-Bouchard
Cap-Day
De Jong - Desharnais
Bellamy

Calgary invited half of the unsigned players this side of Sweden (39 attendees) so I'm not even going to guess as to who might be playing.

Worth keeping an eye on a couple of their invitees: Montana Onyebuchi racked up some decent PIM's and James Malm, while tiny, is very talented. They'll also have Glenn Gawdin and Matthew Phillips - both of whom had good rookie AHL seasons, recent first rounder Jakob Pelletier, and goaltender Tyler Parsons who put on a show last year.

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Oilers rookies play the Flames rookies on Sept 7th and 10th, who are you most excited to watch? Personally I’m really curious to observe Ryan McLeod, Tyler Benson, and Cooper Marody. There are roster spots up front up for grabs and I think those three have decent shots at taking them - McLeod less so, but he was a very late cut last year.

I’ll post the rosters in a bit here.
Add Yamamoto to that list as well.

I know that some people have written him off already for some weird reason, but I'm expecting him to make a big impression at rookie camp and main camp.

Reactions: KYams17

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I know that some people have written him off already for some weird reason, but I'm expecting him to make a big impression at rookie camp and main camp.

I’m far from writing him off but I would think he’d be pegged to start in the AHL after missing 3 months with injury last year

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I would say you won't find another instance in which it probably doesn't matter what he does in rookie and main camp. The only that matters relative to that player is whether he can ever do it in actual regular season games.

I don't necessarily write the kid off. I dismiss his size and relative compete level and comfort playing in traffic. Until I see improvement occur against meaningful opposition I'm unhopeful.

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I would say you won't find another instance in which it probably doesn't matter what he does in rookie and main camp. The only that matters relative to that player is whether he can ever do it in actual regular season games.

I don't necessarily write the kid off. I dismiss his size and relative compete level and comfort playing in traffic. Until I see that occur against meaningful opposition I'm unhopeful.
OK. Fair enough.

I just think it's funny that a lot of people are calling him a bust after his first pro season, most of which he played with a significant wrist injury.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I have high hopes for Maks as well, but I think his 200 foot game needs some work still and he'll have to get the dumb penalties out of his game (while keeping his edge)

I want him to he an asshole on the ice.
If he can improve his two way game, score 20 a year and piss the other team off; that's all we need.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
More important for the Oilers to have a "home" rookie tilt in Red Deer than one at home where fans can even go to watch.

jebus throw us a crumb. Too much to expect?

This is another time the rookie team isn't off starting in Okanagan or some such place and they still refuse to play a game at home.

Wouldn't you want to give these kids a big league taste of Rogers Place?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not that I have high hopes for him or anything, but I'm interested to see what Safin has to offer.

The raw individual talent's always been there, but he had what can only be described as a disastrously bad 18/19 season. Can he bounce back from it?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
More important for the Oilers to have a "home" rookie tilt in Red Deer than one at home where fans can even go to watch.

jebus throw us a crumb. Too much to expect?

This is another time the rookie team isn't off starting in Okanagan or some such place and they still refuse to play a game at home.

Wouldn't you want to give these kids a big league taste of Rogers Place?

My guess is Rogers Place costs a lot to open up.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I’ll be at the Oilers prospects game when they come to Calgary on the 10th (tickets are remarkably only $5, they were the same last year as well). Fantastic deal for some good hockey, even if I’ll be attending with buddies who are Flames and Leafs fans I’ll still be chirping and obnoxious towards them.

Hockey is back boys I’m excited for another year with you guys, hopefully the Oilers give us some better on ice product.

I have faith that Tippett and Holland will get this ship going in the right direction.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’ll be at the Oilers prospects game when they come to Calgary on the 10th (tickets are remarkably only $5, they were the same last year as well). Fantastic deal for some good hockey, even if I’ll be attending with buddies who are Flames and Leafs fans I’ll still be chirping and obnoxious towards them.

Hockey is back boys I’m excited for another year with you guys, hopefully the Oilers give us some better on ice product.

I have faith that Tippett and Holland will get this ship going in the right direction.

Yeah, that $5 ticket wouldn't convince old Daryl to open up the building. That's a money loser and not catering to Tier 1 fans.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, that $5 ticket wouldn't convince old Daryl to open up the building. That's a money loser and not catering to Tier 1 fans.

That’s one thing I do give the Flames credit for, tickets and food/drink at the Saddledome are very reasonable. $5 prospects games are just awesome.

The Saddledome is a ****ty arena relatively speaking and hopefully their new arena is still affordable. I can easily afford an increase in price that’s not the issue but not all of my friends are fellow lawyers or white collar workers.

My brethren in Edmonton are getting hosed by Katz because they know how passionate Oiler fans are and how much we’ll always love our team.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yep. But as public service to Edmontonians, that helped fund the arena, one would expect to see these types of crumbs here, and never does. This same game would cost more here. Even out of town watch parties cost that much here..

This could be a chance for families with limited funds to be able to watch one event other than the skills contest and occasional practice. As public service the Oilers should be throwing that crumb here, not elsewhere.

For some reason a kid in Red Deer, Kelowna, Penticton, Jasper etc has more chance of ever seeing Oilers prospects play a game than kids in Edmonton. That isn't right.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yep. But as public service to Edmontonians, that helped fund the arena, one would expect to see these types of crumbs here, and never does. This same game would cost more here. Even out of town watch parties cost that much here..

This could be a chance for families with limited funds to be able to watch one event other than the skills contest and occasional practice. As public service the Oilers should be throwing that crumb here, not elsewhere.

For some reason a kid in Red Deer, Kelowna, Penticton, Jasper etc has more chance of ever seeing Oilers prospects play a game than kids in Edmonton. That isn't right.

Exactly, in my practice I come across a lot of blue collar guys with families who love hockey and can barely afford tickets plus food/drink for their families to go. It’s even crazier in Edmonton for prices.

I just bought a whole bunch of tickets for this prospects game to give to families that cannot afford regular season games.

$5 for lower bowl tickets to see our youngsters play and see the excitement of parents and children who otherwise would be unable to attend a game in an NHL arena? Sign me up all day.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

maybe they didn't want to interfere with the Labour day rematch happening at the same time

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How about samourukov and maximov.

I think Samorukov is going to finally start getting the respect he deserves around here during this rookie tournament. If he builds off last year the skies the limit with this kid. I wouldn’t even group him with Maximov as I believe he’s right there with Bouchard and Broberg for our best defensive prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad