Prospect Info: Rookie Camp 2019

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

VanderVelde looked a lot better than Vorobyev.
For one thing, he was a plus PK guy.
for another, he never posted a 34.72 xGF% like Vorobyev did last year.

Nor has Vorobyev torched the AHL.
Even strength scoring:
2018-19: 42g 3-14 17
2017-18: 58g 8-14 22; PO: 9g 1-1 2
Compare to:
2016-17 Laughton 60g 17-16 33
2015-16 Cousins 38g 10-25 25
2014-15 Cousins 60g 13-24 37

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They should have brought almost entirely college kids that looked like NHL prospects.

Yeah I just don’t know what the availability exactly was like though. Like Makar reportedly turned down an offer from Team Canada as he didn’t feel it was fair to UMass as he was already missing time for the WJC’s that year for example.

So I don’t think an entire roster would have been possible but I’d have to imagine they could have brought more than the three they did in Donato, Terry, & Greenway.

Russia was very likely winning gold no matter what but perhaps they would have had a better shot at medaling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The CHL eligibility rules have created a "one and out" dynamic for US kids who go USHL and college to keep open the option of going pro at 19 instead of being stuck in junior hockey.

Not sure if this is good for college hockey, notice Minnesota-Duluth shies away from "stars" for that reason, preferring players who'll stick around for 3-4 years.

But this creates another dynamic, why draft guys who'll stay in college until their senior year, which means you might lose them and at best get them to the NHL at age 23-24 (for one thing, college players don't play and practice as much as a player who goes CHL/USHL then AHL, so the college player is a year or two behind his peers when he graduates).

Reactions: FlyguyOX

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The CHL eligibility rules have created a "one and out" dynamic for US kids who go USHL and college to keep open the option of going pro at 19 instead of being stuck in junior hockey.

Not sure if this is good for college hockey, notice Minnesota-Duluth shies away from "stars" for that reason, preferring players who'll stick around for 3-4 years.

But this creates another dynamic, why draft guys who'll stay in college until their senior year, which means you might lose them and at best get them to the NHL at age 23-24 (for one thing, college players don't play and practice as much as a player who goes CHL/USHL then AHL, so the college player is a year or two behind his peers when he graduates).
Dead , there is so much wrong about these statements i don't even know where to start . yikes

Reactions: Curufinwe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah I just don’t know what the availability exactly was like though. Like Makar reportedly turned an offer from Team Canada as he didn’t feel it was fair to UMass as he was already missing time for the WJC’s that year for example.

So I don’t think an entire roster would have been possible but I’d have to imagine they could have brought more than the three they did in Donato, Terry, & Greenway.

Russia was very likely winning gold no matter what but perhaps they would have had a better shot at medaling.

Yeah I doubt they could have filled out an entire lineup, but they could have made it a more even split i'm sure.

I really hope the NHL goes to the next Olympics.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dead , there is so much wrong about these statements i don't even know where to start . yikes

You don't think kids like Laczynski and Kalynuk wouldn't progress faster playing 70 AHL games (plus playoffs) and practicing 3 times a week than 35 college games and limited practice so they can pretend to go to class?

You don't think Farabee chose the USHL/college route so he could maintain the option of going pro at 19?

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
VandeVelde wasn’t even a year removed from the NHL & Team USA said no for the Olympics on what ended up being a mediocre team. :laugh:
There was a lot on VandeVelde, which i agree, he was useless. But i really like Bellemare. I would take him as our 4th line C any day.

dag54

Aug 3, 2005
Why is Morin not at the rookie camp?

Is not a question that needs to be asked. He's 24 and has been to five of them already, and couldn't go last year because he was injured.

Because he's no longer on an entry level contract according to Bill Meltzer's blog over at hockey buzz.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Quick Hits: Goalie Rotation, O'Brien, Sports Book Lounges, Jack Cassidy

Samuel Morin: Morin is still classified as an NHL rookie but is no longer an entry-level contract player. Thus, he is no longer part of Rookie Camp.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You don't think kids like Laczynski and Kalynuk wouldn't progress faster playing 70 AHL games (plus playoffs) and practicing 3 times a week than 35 college games and limited practice so they can pretend to go to class?

You don't think Farabee chose the USHL/college route so he could maintain the option of going pro at 19?
College and USHL and NAHL which are the USA's development league model are based around practice practice practice and not as many games . USHL playoffs are best of 5 and they are three rounds and college playoffs are 1 loss and done . CHL is based around playing games and i know in the Brandon wheat kings case there is actually not a pile of practice time . i could go on but i'm actually busy this morning , fri$%#& en work .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
USHL is the best development league for that reason, but college has limited practice time due to NCAA rules (they are supposed to be students).
And the top USHL prospects groomed for the WJC play a lot of games, as many as 80-90 a year.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
USHL is the best development league for that reason, but college has limited practice time due to NCAA rules (they are supposed to be students).
And the top USHL prospects groomed for the WJC play a lot of games, as many as 80-90 a year.
Limited practice is a myth . Kids report at 7-8 in morning and don't have classes till afternoon . Coaches are not allowed on the ice to run practices till certain times of the year which seems odd but they just meet with their Captain and assistant's and they run the practices while coaches sit in stands . Most practices are 1.5 hours broken up into 2 sessions and they also dryland train 3-4 times per week .

Also kids do not take full course loads but stay at campus in spring and summer to take courses and train on and off ice .

As far as Kalynuk and Laczynski i do think they should be in the AHL , strickly cause of the different style of play in the AHL vs college and also playing against stronger competition .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Tanner is no better than Vesey, trade him for a 3rd rd pick and move on.
Vesey wouldn't finish this season on the 3rd line once a few kids came up.

2016-17: -4.1 EV GAR, -2.2 Total GAR
2017-18: -2.2 EV GAR, -1.4 Total GAR
2018-19: -3.4 EV GAR, -1.4 Total GAR

To put his suckitude in perspective, Vandervelde:
2014-15: 0.8 EV GAR, +1.8 Total GAR
2015-16: -4.5 EV GAR, -4.2 Total GAR
2016-17: -1.2 EV GAR, +1.7 Total GAR

3 year totals
Vesey -9.7 EV GAR, -5.0 Total GAR
VdV -4.9 EV GAR, -0.7 Total GAR

I'd point out that those Rangers teams were at least as talented as those Flyer teams.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Charlie thinks the rookie game matters for whether Frost makes the Flyers. What a weirdo. :rolleyes:

Flyers rookie camp primer: Storylines and what to watch for...

Expect Frost to again stand out in Voorhees during practices, but it will be his work Wednesday in the rookie game that will be most telling. It should offer a strong hint of whether September will end with Frost achieving his ultimate goal of making the Flyers or beginning his professional career in the AHL with the Phantoms.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I can't keep straight whether it's practices that are the most important. Or games. Or neither.

Frost and Farabee should both look good against peers. I doubt that's the obstacle they need to overcome.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I can't keep straight whether it's practices that are the most important. Or games. Or neither.

Frost and Farabee should both look good against peers. I doubt that's the obstacle they need to overcome.
The starting point is where the GM and coaching staff think they are and how they fit in today. I think the most telling will be what center they put Farabee with and what position Frost plays in actual preseason games. Then let's see how they look and what changes they make as a result.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I know a few local guys that have played mens league where I play that made that USA team (Gunderson and O'Neill). That's how shallow the depth was lol.

Hey, Gunderson is how I claim that I was an Olympic caliber hockey player. I stopped one of his shots in a game 16 years ago (holy...), so via the transitive property of hockey, I too could have been on Team USA.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

A lot goes into the decisions, but JVR , for example, was so dominant in his rookie game it set the tone for camp. He looked ready. F&F can only help their cause by dominating the rookie game and carrying that confidence into camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad