Ronnie's Roulette - Year two TDL Edition

What should Francis and the Kraken do at the TDL?

• Go big and swing for the fences

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Something small to improve roster depth

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Be creative and sell for the right return

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • nah, nothing we're good

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
No arguing trade value but is he really that much of an upgrade on Fluery?

I think it's for depth and the fact that Schultz is still out.

Yeah. I made a post on the other thread about this. I think this trade has good value for us but now and the long term. But I think it also makes Soucy expendable now OR if we look for a top-4 D upgrade at the TDL.

I don't know for sure but this screams more than a depth signing to me. I am thinking this hints at a potential Soucy trade. Megna played with Karlsson for part of this season, and that may explain it, but his numbers actually look better than Soucy's.

Could also be something Francis could get creative with now given Megna's contract for this and next year.

Anyways, I like the pick up and hope he can give us solid minutes.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Well, I'm actually happy we didn't spend a first and a fourth on him....
Yeah. He has not been great this year. I would only want to rent a player for 1st round pick(s) if he was atleast signed with us through the next season.

I think Horvat and Meier are the best 2 TDL forwards. Tarasenko has not been that good. Kane has been good but is returning from injury.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah. He has not been great this year. I would only want to rent a player for 1st round pick(s) if he was atleast signed with us through the next season.

I think Horvat and Meier are the best 2 TDL forwards. Tarasenko has not been that good. Kane has been good but is returning from injury.

Kane seems to have a bad hip that probably needs injury.
Even the players during the All-Star game gave him a nod for playing through the stuff.

His metrics are also awful and that's not just because he plays on a bad team.

BTW: Pretty solid article by Sound of Hockey.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Does it seem like the market is somewhat flooded with available players this season. Good amount of teams are tanking for Bedard and some are just in rebuild mode.

Have a feeling that this may end up being a buyers market. Though what do I know?

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Does it seem like the market is somewhat flooded with available players this season. Good amount of teams are tanking for Bedard and some are just in rebuild mode.

Have a feeling that this may end up being a buyers market. Though what do I know?

Wasn't it supposed to be that last year as well?

I think, as usual, there's a lot of talk and there'll be quite a few things(for non upcoming UFA's) that won't happen and will need to be resolved during the draft/offseason.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Saw an article linking Jonathan Toews to here as we like his face off % and a possible mentor to Beniers. Still not sure we'd grab another center.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Saw an article linking Jonathan Toews to here as we like his face off % and a possible mentor to Beniers. Still not sure we'd grab another center.

Coming from Pagnotta whos not really actuate at reporting stuff. i'll hard pass it. 10.5m meaning chicago would have to eat half of it + then what we would have to give up to get him. Also Toews has a NMC.

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Frank Seravalli's Trade Targets.

8. Carson Soucy 🆕
Left Defense, Seattle Kraken
Stats: 54 GP, 2 G, 7 A, 9 Pts
Contract: Pending UFA, $2.75 million AAV
Scoop: Teams have inquired about Soucy and the Kraken haven’t slammed the phone down. The truth is, Seattle has racked up enough points that their playoff position is strong. It isn’t likely to be significantly impacted by plucking off a defenseman who has alternated between second and third-pair minutes. Teams drool over Soucy’s 6-foot-5 frame – and if the Kraken can pry loose a first-round pick in what Draft experts believe is a historically strong crop? Well, they might just have to part ways with the Viking, Alberta native who is set to become a free agent this summer. Clearly, they’re also fine keeping Soucy for the stretch run, too. It’s a no-lose proposition for Seattle.

So we supposedly have received calls and haven't "slammed the phone down".
Makes sense, cause no intelligent GM should ever do that with an UFA that most likely won't re-sign.

If anyone really gives us a first for Soucy(even if we have to send a 3rd or maybe 2nd back), I'd be absolutely open to it.
We've brought in Megna and could use our extra picks in order to aquire another defenseman.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If anyone really gives us a first for Soucy(even if we have to send a 3rd or maybe 2nd back), I'd be absolutely open to it.
We've brought in Megna and could use our extra picks in order to aquire another defenseman.

While I would ultimately like to see Soucy re-signed (I think anyone the kraken can afford will be a legitimate downgrade), I do like your idea here.

High end talent is still the biggest need in the Seattle system. If they could upgrade a second to a first for a player they aren't going to re-sign, that could be a big long-term win.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

I suggested exactly this earlier this thread or parallel thread. Trade Soucy for a 1st or 2nd and bring in a replacement(s) for a 3rrd/4th. Agree now that this is in the works as we've brought in Megna and should still hunt for another depth defensemen. Not sure we need much else aside from elite talent which should be out of our price range

Last edited:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
2 weeks to go. I am really interested to see how Francis approaches things. I doubt we go "big" because Francis generally does not prefer moving his 1st round pick(s). I think we end up being both sellers and buyers.

I think ideally Francis has an open mind and doesn't mind selling something if there's an offer.

Like I've said, if Seravalli's report has some legs to it and we could get a first for Soucy(while probably adding a 2nd or 3rd as well) you've got to look at that.
We still have extra picks and could bring in another depth guy after that, while Megna's already on the team.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Is there any chance Driedger plays in the next 2 weeks? Now that Gru seems to finally showing some decent form could you roll the dice and trade Jones and get something for him which he is still under contract (assuming Dreidger was the backup and the assumption that neither Dreidger nor Gru are tradeable)? Or is that way too risky and dumb.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Is there any chance Driedger plays in the next 2 weeks? Now that Gru seems to finally showing some decent form could you roll the dice and trade Jones and get something for him which he is still under contract (assuming Dreidger was the backup and the assumption that neither Dreidger nor Gru are tradeable)? Or is that way too risky and dumb.

Driedger's coming back from ACL/MCL surugery and hasn't played hockey in over six months.
If we were in the same position as last season sure, but I doubt we'll be giving up Jones(and rely on Grubauer/Driedger) while fighting for a playoff spot.

BTW: Driedger has been on the ice participating in most(if not all) the goalie drills.
He could play before the TDL but I'm not sure the team wants to bring him back before the TDL thanks to roster size.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
I think ideally Francis has an open mind and doesn't mind selling something if there's an offer.

Like I've said, if Seravalli's report has some legs to it and we could get a first for Soucy(while probably adding a 2nd or 3rd as well) you've got to look at that.
We still have extra picks and could bring in another depth guy after that, while Megna's already on the team.
Think they could parlay trading soucy and then turn to using the resources they get back to trade for something they want/ need more.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seems like the Canadian experts had a group huddle and are all in on the same stuff.

Friedman on 32 Thoughts.
2. Gavrikov doesn’t fit the Kings, unless he agrees to an extension. But he’s gotten interest from Boston, Edmonton and Toronto to some degree. (Always assume there are others I don’t think of, or uncover.) The other rental lefty I wonder about for this group is Seattle’s Carson Soucy. The Kraken aren’t Krazy about simply letting him walk.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Anyone who thought Ryan O'Reilly might have been a guy to bring in can stop that now.

Pretty big trade by the Leafs for O'Reilly and it also shows you that those "experts" don't know that much given that they always reported that Dubas would not trade a first round pick for a rental.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Anyone who thought Ryan O'Reilly might have been a guy to bring in can stop that now.

Pretty big trade by the Leafs for O'Reilly and it also shows you that those "experts" don't know that much given that they always reported that Dubas would not trade a first round pick for a rental.
The going prices on this year's rentals so far have been kinda insane.

Makes me think Francis should get any notion of being a buyer this year out of his head.

On the other hand, selling anyone not in the long term plans may not be the worst idea.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I like Sprong one of my favorite Kraken but he's expendable now that Goalvanen continues to hit "paydirt"! Is Hayden and Lind better than Sprong of course not! He'll fetch something decent from a play-off team looking to add a scorer and a coming RFA contract! As for Soucy not sure what's going on there. Does he sign if not he walks? If I'm GMFrancis I'm earmarking a pretty good raise for Dunn leaving...not much left unless a few other things happen one of which is that Donskoi's contract falls off. Driedger and his 3.5 M "stipend"? Can he be traded? I think there will be suitors! Interesting times as the chase for the play-offs continues with 27 games left in the Regular season and 13 days until the TDL! Keep your "shirt" on it could get interesting

Reactions: The Marquis

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The going prices on this year's rentals so far have been kinda insane.

Makes me think Francis should get any notion of being a buyer this year out of his head.

On the other hand, selling anyone not in the long term plans may not be the worst idea.

Yeah, the prices are nuts(as most times at the TDL) and therefore the best thing Francs can do is to be open for everything and not go crazy on buying.

I doubt the latter actually happens and he's shown to be cautious with a move like the Megna one that's a mid round pick for a depth guy while letting the current roster having a shot at making the playoffs and showing them he's willing to give them (some)help.

I'm also curious what he does with Soucy and at those prices we might actually be able to get a first round pick for him.
Even if we have to send a pick(2nd - 4th rounder) the other way as well.

I like Sprong one of my favorite Kraken but he's expendable now that Goalvanen continues to hit "paydirt"! Is Hayden and Lind better than Sprong of course not! He'll fetch something decent from a play-off team looking to add a scorer and a coming RFA contract! As for Soucy not sure what's going on there. Does he sign if not he walks? If I'm GMFrancis I'm earmarking a pretty good raise for Dunn leaving...not much left unless a few other things happen one of which is that Donskoi's contract falls off. Driedger and his 3.5 M "stipend"? Can he be traded? I think there will be suitors! Interesting times as the chase for the play-offs continues with 27 games left in the Regular season and 13 days until the TDL! Keep your "shirt" on it could get interesting

1) I don't think Sprong would fetch much and I think he'll still be helpfull for us.

2) Soucy is an interesting one and we'll know for sure early on. Unless he signs within the next week or so he'll be gone and given the fact that we need to re-sign someone like Dunn(who'll get quite the bump in salary) I have a hard time believing we'll bring him back.

The key for Francis would be to act fast or at least faster as he did last year with Giordano.
The higher prices tend to be paid before the TDL(Chariot, Lindholm) and if you wait till the TDL most teams willing to give up a high pick have already done so.

Also, I think trading for Megna might be a clear sign that Soucy's gone given that he's under contract for one more year and can easily be the 6th defenseman(giving us cap flexibility to re-sign a Dunn), unless Evans is ready to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad