Ronnie's Roulette - Year two TDL Edition

What should Francis and the Kraken do at the TDL?

• Go big and swing for the fences

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Something small to improve roster depth

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Be creative and sell for the right return

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • nah, nothing we're good

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think the current squad is the one that got us to this point and I think they deserve to try and make it to the postseason and experience that.

I agree but if the GM feels that there are players that can improve our chances substantially, they are likely to make the move. To not look would be a failure on the GM's part.
Though, John Forslund seems to think that if they'll do something it's going to be more of a substantial move.
I disagree and hope that's just the announcer speaking, not knowing too much of what might happen.
Though, if they really do I hope it's more of a Chychrun type of guy instead of a Horvath, given the age and contract difference(Chychrun has two more years at aroun $4.5M) between the both of them.

I kind of agree with Forslund. Not in saying that we should make a move but if we do so, it is likely to be an improvement both for now and long term. This is the reason I have bought Chychrun up previously. He fits on this team both now and in the future. That being said, the price is likely to be prohibitive so I would rather not get involved and just see how Evans does next season and Nelson most likely the following season.

Reactions: majormajor

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Apart from the price, the issue with Chychrun is does he ever stay healthy. Contract, age and position of greater need all are in his favor over Horvat.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
if we can move soucy and get acquire a D thats similar to him thats cheaper that won't take penalities i would make that move.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
if we can move soucy and get acquire a D thats similar to him thats cheaper that won't take penalities i would make that move.

The narrative that Soucy is a penalty machine is just dumb, and you keep reiterating it.

Guy has a stretch of games with a few bad penalties and you get it stuck in your brain that all he does is take bad penalties.

He was fine in that category all last season, and he has been fine for half of this season so far. (9 penalties in his last 30 games, and only 2 in his last 12 games (2023)).

There were really just a few games in a row where he had a couple of really dumb penalties, and a few unfortunate tripping calls, but other than that, he's been exactly what I think one would expect from a large physical defenseman playing tough D.

Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Just a thought having read the trade board and Wild fans talking about Jordan Greenway maybe being available.

I think he would actually fit a need for the Kraken cause he would bring some size(6'6) and physicality while still being solid enough of a skater to keep up with the guys and fitting age wise at 25.

He's currently making $3M until 2025.

I know mostly we're being thrown into the mix for Horvat but I just don't like that fit given his age, contract demands(probably 8x8) and position(same as Beniers and Wright) and would rather look at something like this.

The Wild are also in cap troubles and might be willing to trade a guy like that for a solid deal that could help us.

So maybe Ron could do something at the TDL along the lines of Greenway for Donskoi and a 3rd or maybe 2nd?

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just a thought having read the trade board and Wild fans talking about Jordan Greenway maybe being available.

I think he would actually fit a need for the Kraken cause he would bring some size(6'6) and physicality while still being solid enough of a skater to keep up with the guys and fitting age wise at 25.

He's currently making $3M until 2025.

I know mostly we're being thrown into the mix for Horvat but I just don't like that fit given his age, contract demands(probably 8x8) and position(same as Beniers and Wright) and would rather look at something like this.

The Wild are also in cap troubles and might be willing to trade a guy like that for a solid deal that could help us.

So maybe Ron could do something at the TDL along the lines of Greenway for Donskoi and a 3rd or maybe 2nd?

What do you guys think?
I like Greenway. I'm all for making something work for him, of course with limits. I'm sure @Sad People will want to chime in on that one.
I like Greenway but I am not sure if he PK's and can help our unit. He would be a good addition to our bottom-6 but I am not sure exactly who he would replace next season, on a healthy roster. So trying to figure it out here:

- McCann, Beniers, Eberle, Schwartz, Burakovsky and Wennberg are likely our top-6.

- Bjorkstrand, Gourde are likely to be our 3rd line. Lets throw Tolvanen there since he is already signed through next season.

- Tanev on the 4th with either prospects or re-signings of our current UFA and RFA's. Sprong, Donato, Geekie are all suitable candidates there to be re-signed. Basically Greenway would take away one of their spots.

In a way this makes sense because I figure that Sprong, Donato and Geekie all get decent raises and we are unlikely to get back all 3 of them. Greenway is not having a great season so far but I think on our team he could do better in a bottom-6 role just like Tolvanen and Sprong have done thanks to our depth.

The cost is what it really comes down to. @RainyCityHockey what type of return are the Wild fans expecting?

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
He doesnt offer much of anything offensively. A pretty poor skater, i always see him falling over. Ive heard he can be "lazy" at times and is often injured. He would bring something physically, as previously stated. He would be great on a puck possession forechecking line and is also great along the boards. I really dont know where he could slot in on our squad? He isnt a top 6 player.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
@Fistfullofbeer
Don't really know what the ask would be.
But probably not too much.

@Sad People
Thanks on the report.
I just think we'll need some more physicality/size up front and someone who could actually do something net front etc.

If it's not him then so be it, but I don't think we have too much of a chance in a playoff matchup with just the small/fast guys we have at forward.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Greenway has the strength to be a beast but not really the temperament. Kind of the opposite of Gourde, come to think of it.

The forwards have been so good this year I have difficulty imagining any acquisition like this as an upgrade. Greenway might actually slow them down.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

That would be stupid. Hopefully just nonsense

RIght. There is a difference between bold and stupid. You are right, that trading Wright would be borderline stupid to do. We are not an "all-in" team like the Knights. We have prospects that have legitimate chances at top-6 F or top-4 D.

Even a big move from our team ain't touching Wright. I still think we are going to be dark horses in the Chychrun race, but I don't expect we give up the likes of Wright or Firkus. I would not be surprised if Goyette, Nyman, Melenson, Evans or Nelson are on the table though. I would prefer to not give up Evans or Nelson, but if the return is a top-2 forward like Chychrun, Francis may be willing to give up one of them.

I think this gets us close:

1st 2023 + Evans/Nelson + 5th rd 2023/24
1st 2023 + Nyman/Goyette/Melenson + 2nd/3rd rd 2023/24

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
RIght. There is a difference between bold and stupid. You are right, that trading Wright would be borderline stupid to do. We are not an "all-in" team like the Knights. We have prospects that have legitimate chances at top-6 F or top-4 D.

Even a big move from our team ain't touching Wright. I still think we are going to be dark horses in the Chychrun race, but I don't expect we give up the likes of Wright or Firkus. I would not be surprised if Goyette, Nyman, Melenson, Evans or Nelson are on the table though. I would prefer to not give up Evans or Nelson, but if the return is a top-2 forward like Chychrun, Francis may be willing to give up one of them.

Well, Chychrun is a defenseman though. hahaha.

In all seriousness though, I still don't like giving up a 1st for him, unless it's a sign and trade deal and his deal is team favorable. Honestly, the second one isn't a bad trade for Seattle. 3 guys who have a high ceiling, but have fairly low floors. Remove one of them and make it and 2nd and a 4th and I'd talk, maybe. Who do you keep in that scenario? I don't like the first one because of the lack of organizational depth at D.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

The guy asked by that Seattle media outlet was the guy who made up the rumor of the Kraken giving up Wright for Horvat.
So of course he's going to make up s.h.i.t. in order to justify his useless take.

It's also hilarious of that dud talking about the Kraken "being built to win now" even though we're just about six months removed from drafting in the top five because we sucked.
And quite a few of those guys are still on the team.

Trading for Horvat makes no sense.

Chychrun would make more sense but I think that asking price is just too much for us given the limited pieces(picks and prospects) we still have, IMO.

I change my mind. Dude is WAY too injury prone. F him. You GET NOTHING ARIZONA! NOTHING.

The guy that got hurt is Ghostisbehere and not Chychrun.
Or do you mean over the whole career?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The guy asked by that Seattle media outlet was the guy who made up the rumor of the Kraken giving up Wright for Horvat.
So of course he's going to make up s.h.i.t. in order to justify his useless take.

It's also hilarious of that dud talking about the Kraken "being built to win now" even though we're just about six months removed from drafting in the top five because we sucked.

Trading for Horvat makes no sense.

Chychrun would make more sense but I think that asking price is just too much for us given the limited pieces(picks and prospects) we still have, IMO.

The guy that got hurt is Ghostisbehere and not Chychrun.
Or do you mean over the whole career?
Whole career. Chychrun really misses a lot of games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think that's irrelevant. You can have a team that is ready to win even if they weren't ready a year ago. A lot can change. Who cares if those guys are still on the team? Most great players are on bad teams at some point.

What Bucci said: "The Kraken are built to win now. This is not a plucky, young expansion team. Look at the age of their players. They're ready to go."

That's 100% accurate. Where Bucci is out to lunch is thinking that Wright has equivalent value to Horvat. We can do better than that. Really we don't need to trade Wright at all - I would use other 1sts to get Chychrun. But if hypothetically you could get Elias Pettersson long term in exchange for Shane Wright, that's a big win. In reality I think there is an excellent path where Wright and the D prospects are kept but the Kraken make other big moves to make themselves into a contender.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I could see this as a moment to make a big long term upgrade, that will elevate the team for this playoff run and beyond. That's what I'd be trying to do, anyways.

But most likely I see Ronny trading like a 4th round pick for an upgrade at #7D. That's probably it.

There won't be any selling.
Why C Fleury seems to be playing fine

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
No complaints about the goaltending this year, but if the Kraken lose Jones to free agency and can cap dump Grubauer somewhere a guy I’d hope Francis would look at trading for is Filip Gustavsson of the Wild. Solid numbers, on an expiring ELC, and with Jesper Wallstedt on his way, perhaps available if MAF plays another year.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
No complaints about the goaltending this year, but if the Kraken lose Jones to free agency and can cap dump Grubauer somewhere a guy I’d hope Francis would look at trading for is Filip Gustavsson of the Wild. Solid numbers, on an expiring ELC, and with Jesper Wallstedt on his way, perhaps available if MAF plays another year.

There's no chance we can cap dump Grubauer anywhere without giving up something we can't effort to lose.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Joonas Korpisalo has been much better than any Kraken goalie and should be available for like a third rounder. He looks like a different goalie since getting hip surgery.

There's no chance we can cap dump Grubauer anywhere without giving up something we can't effort to lose.

There is another way. Bad goalie swap. Look for someone you think can bounce back in Seattle. The Kings waived Cal Peterson, he's got three years left after this one. And then Elvis Merzlikins, who like Gruby has four years left after this one. Elvis has been worse than Gruby this year but he's a good bit younger and might just need a change of scenery after the Kivlenieks tragedy.

The crazy thing though - I was checking capfriendly and they even gave Gruby a no trade clause. He might need an AHL bus trip to persuade him to accept a trade.

Reactions: Kevinsane

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

You do realize we would be giving up assets just to move gru's contract. Its not worth throwing away assets to move a goalie contract to give up even more assets to acquire a goalie.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
There is another way. Bad goalie swap. Look for someone you think can bounce back in Seattle. The Kings waived Cal Peterson, he's got three years left after this one. And then Elvis Merzlikins, who like Gruby has four years left after this one. Elvis has been worse than Gruby this year but he's a good bit younger and might just need a change of scenery after the Kivlenieks tragedy.

The crazy thing though - I was checking capfriendly and they even gave Gruby a no trade clause. He might need an AHL bus trip to persuade him to accept a trade.

1) Grubauer's been better as of late, so I'd wait until at least the summer.

2) We still have Driedger as well and need prbably will have to make a decision there as well.

3) You've got to take a closer look at the contracts.
After the season it looks like this for goalies that might have their teams looking at something like this.

Grubauer --> 4 x $5.9M

Merzlikins --> 4 x $5.4M
Petersen --> 2 x $3.875M
Campbell --> 4 x $5.0M
Gibson --> 4 x $6.4M
Markström --> 3 x $6M
Bobrovsky --> 3 x $10M

So you see the Pacific Division totally sucks goaltending wise and even then it's tough.
The only one you could get close to just a "hockey trade" would be Merzlikins but the Jackets are around the cap and needed to give away Bjorkstrand last summer to make things work.
I doubt they'd have interest adding another $0.5M on a goalie with subpar numbers.

Campbell has the same years left, but makes $0.9M less and that would mean you'd have to give away something or take on another(not so good) contract from Edmonton.

Markstrom makes more but has one year less on his contract.
Bobrovsky as well, but you just can't add $4.1M extra to the current team for that time.

Gibson would be interesting but I doubt the Ducks care about paying $0.5M extra for their guy and he's got an NMC and has stated that he wants to stay.

Petersen won't happen at all given that he's only got two years left at about 65% of Grubauer's contract.
The Kings will also have Quick off their books or re-sign him on the cheap and will be looking for other options(maybe even Driedger) and not a guy like Grubauer.

Unless you're willing to part with a first to send him to Arizona(actually an underated goalie factory of the NHL) I don't think you'll see a trade of his.
So we better hope he plays more like the last games and at least gives you a chance cause I don't see a trade happening and buying him out won't be an option for the next three years either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad