Ronnie's Roulette - Year two TDL Edition

What should Francis and the Kraken do at the TDL?

• Go big and swing for the fences

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Something small to improve roster depth

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Be creative and sell for the right return

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • nah, nothing we're good

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wraparound

May 17, 2014
I've read we're now also interested in Barbashev from the Blues.

He's a guy that plays a more physical style and could go some net front, something we're completely missing.

Though, the asking price that were mentioned are just nuts and nothing I'd do if I was Francis.
if you’re referring to the TFP trade bait article, then you saw Seattle listed as a potential suitor for Adam Henrique. Seattle would need to move out some salary to make it happen but if something around Soucy (with an extension in place) and a 2nd/3rd for Rico retained at 50% could get it done, would that work?

logic: Ducks’ LHD depth is wide open after Fowler. they have some good prospects at that position that could make the jump soon, but an extended Soucy gives them some proven veteran stability to lean on & Henrique brings scoring, face-off acumen (>50% this season and last) & mentorship for Beniers for the rest of this season + next.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
You got to give to get. Also there is a difference between asking price and actual cost.

If arizona is willing to take less then why hasn't he not been traded yet? Hes been on the trade block for 2 years and still hasn't been traded.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If arizona is willing to take less then why hasn't he not been traded yet? Hes been on the trade block for 2 years and still hasn't been traded.
So if Arizona does not get what they are asking for, do you think they will continue holding on to Chychrun for another 2 seasons?

I don't know what Chychrun is traded for but a GM targetting him just balks because of the rumored ask or current ask, is not doing his job.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
if you’re referring to the TFP trade bait article, then you saw Seattle listed as a potential suitor for Adam Henrique. Seattle would need to move out some salary to make it happen but if something around Soucy (with an extension in place) and a 2nd/3rd for Rico retained at 50% could get it done, would that work?

logic: Ducks’ LHD depth is wide open after Fowler. they have some good prospects at that position that could make the jump soon, but an extended Soucy gives them some proven veteran stability to lean on & Henrique brings scoring, face-off acumen (>50% this season and last) & mentorship for Beniers for the rest of this season + next.

I think it's getting quite cringy with how everyone tries to write some kind of a center to Seattle.

Henrique's a good player but the position makes no sense and we certainly don't need a "mentor" for Beniers with two time Stanley Cup Champion Yanni Gourde already on the team.

It would also take away a spot for Wright, who should be with the team next season.

On top of that it also makes no sense at all to trade a defenseman for a forward given that we've got depth at forward and not sooo much at defense, even with Megna on the team.

If we trade Soucy it's for someone younger with term/control or to try and get the best pick possible, IMO.

no way seattle should ever go near Chychrun unless you are fine having at least two less prospects and a first.

Arizona has a very very extreme high ask price for him.

I think it's funny how that narrative is always being thrown around with Chychrun.
They're supposedly asking, at this point, for two 1st round picks/or 1st round level prospects and another 2nd, or so.

That's at a point in time where an injury riddled and barely back on the ic O'reilly( costs you a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and prospects.

Where a 2nd line center like Horvat costs you a 1st rounder and a prospect.

And where Columbus is supposedly asking for a 1st rounder, 3rd rounder and 4th rounder for a rental like Gavrikov, who might be a top four guy.

Chychrun, while injury prone, is not even 25 years old and has two more years at $4.6M left while being an elite offensive defenseman in this league.

I think you can ask for that and see if someone bites, given the prices at this time of the year.
Worst case no one bites and you get back at it during the draft.

If they can't trade him at the TDL they'll try to do so at the draft and at that point you only get two playoff runs, at his current cap hit, which lowers the price.

Reactions: majormajor

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This TDL seems different in the sense that I hear a lot more names being available but not really close to the amount of action happening.

Wait, I think that's every TDL and I am just bored out of my mind ..

Seriously though. I will say this though, looks like the Leafs very well may have made the splash of the deadline already.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So if Arizona does not get what they are asking for, do you think they will continue holding on to Chychrun for another 2 seasons?

I don't know what Chychrun is traded for but a GM targetting him just balks because of the rumored ask or current ask, is not doing his job.

And what spare prospects do we have to give up. keyword spares.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seriously though. I will say this though, looks like the Leafs very well may have made the splash of the deadline already.
Tarasenko and Horvat trades were kind of splashes too. But generally, anything Leafs becomes a bigger splash anyway. Karlsson, Meier and Chychrun are big names that could be moved but of those 3 I am not certain if anyone but Meier gets moved. Karlsson has a massive contract, and Chychrun has been on the block so long that he could star on Trading Spaces. The interesting thing is that there are quite a few decent names:

Karlsson
Meier
Chychrun
Gavrikov
Barbashev
Nyquist
Parayko
Greenway

Probably a few more but I am expecting people are eying the big names and may not start making moves unless they are out of the bidding and/or those pieces are moved before they look elsewhere.
And what spare prospects do we have to give up. keyword spares.

Almost everyone on this team is a spare other than Wright, Evans and maybe Firkus. We have some high-end prospects that are doing well in juniors or AHL but they are far from being guarantees at the NHL level. I am not suggesting we sell the farm for Chychrun, Meier, etc. but we have enough of a prospect pool that we can consider moving one of them.

Winterton
Goyette
Robertson
Jackson
Melanson
Nyman

These picks are all looking really good right now and are leading their teams in some or multiple categories. Nyman is an exception but producing 0.5 PPG in the Liiga at 18 is no joke either.

Again, not advocating we should move these for bottom-6 F or bottom-pairing D but for the likes of Chychrun, Meier, etc. we definitely need to take a deep hard look. Younger, elite players at the NHL level are nothing to take for granted.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Emily Kaplan on ESPN.

Any surprise teams ahead of the deadline?​

I asked an assistant general manager to tell me the surprise team that could be the main character of trade deadline day. "The Seattle Kraken," the assistant GM told me. "I think they've been sniffing around on a lot of possibilities to add to their roster. They still have the big picture in mind to build the right way, but I think they see an opportunity this year and may go for it."

There have been some rumors that Carson Soucy could be available. He was scratched Monday against the Sharks after taking a puck to the foot. Soucy, 28, is an unrestricted free agent this summer, and there have been no extension talks yet. But it would be a big surprise if Soucy got moved; taking a veteran defenseman off a playoff-bound team is bold.

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Given how up and down we have been off late I guess Francis is not too active. The one thing I am looking at is if Donskoi gets moved to LTIR, because that may signal a potential trade and/or us just taking on some salary in a side deal for late picks.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
reminder we still need to have cap space left over to pay benier's performance bonus' or that gets shoved onto next years cap hit.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It seems like teams aren't waiting around this year and are trying to get stuff done early.

Barbashev went to Vegas for a prospect.
And Meier will most likely go to either New Jersey or Vegas(again).

Also, Carolina's supposedly looking for an LHD, but I doubt it's Soucy cause Francis probably doesn't talk(quite a few GM's don't actually talk to each other, according to Allan Walsh) to their GM.

Should be fun watching those eight hour long trade deadline shows on canadian tv on Friday. :laugh:

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Gavrikov's still available for Carolina since Sweeney/Boston said nah thanks. Edmonton is always needing dmen but that's in division so I don't see it happening. Nashville is selling now, wonder if they have any more Tolvanens?

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Gavrikov's still available for Carolina since Sweeney/Boston said nah thanks. Edmonton is always needing dmen but that's in division so I don't see it happening. Nashville is selling now, wonder if they have any more Tolvanens?

1) I don't think so.

2) Did you see the price Tampa just paid for Tanner Jeannot?
giphy.gif

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
1) I don't think so.

2) Did you see the price Tampa just paid for Tanner Jeannot?
giphy.gif
I think that intangible and physical play is exactly why Chychrun is not moving. He has been unlucky with injuries and does not really play that physical style which is desired for the playoffs.

Honestly, we should consider moving Soucy if we can. Given what teams have thrown in trades, I don't think the market for Chychrun is that big as we think it is? Maybe?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think that intangible and physical play is exactly why Chychrun is not moving. He has been unlucky with injuries and does not really play that physical style which is desired for the playoffs.

I listen to Dmitri Filipovic's "pdo" cast (I highly recommend it) and they recently did an episode on Chychrun with a Coyotes journalist. They said his physical shutdown game has stepped up this year. He is a big strong guy. I think teams like his physical defense, it's more a question of durability.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I listen to Dmitri Filipovic's "pdo" cast (I highly recommend it) and they recently did an episode on Chychrun with a Coyotes journalist. They said his physical shutdown game has stepped up this year. He is a big strong guy. I think teams like his physical defense, it's more a question of durability.
Durability is a concern for sure but is it bad enough that in a TDL where teams have been very aggressive and are making big deals 1-2 weeks ahead of the deadline still not willing to spend for Chychrun?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Durability is a concern for sure but is it bad enough that in a TDL where teams have been very aggressive and are making big deals 1-2 weeks ahead of the deadline still not willing to spend for Chychrun?
One difference in the big prices being paid yesterday and the ask for Chuchrun is that Chychrun is UFA in two years, so teams don't have the chance to negotiate an rfa extension. Meier is a huge risk with the QO, but he is still an RFA, so there will be some discussion. Jeannot is as well.

My knock on Chychrun isn't that he isn't physical, but it is his defensive positioning and decision making without the puck. He is a solid 2/3 guy in my mind and would be a nice addition to most teams, but you just don't pay two 1sts and a 2nd for a 2/3 guy that is injury prone and a UFA in two seasons... at least I would not.

Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Honestly, we should consider moving Soucy if we can. Given what teams have thrown in trades, I don't think the market for Chychrun is that big as we think it is? Maybe?

The only reason could be the injuries.
He's shown that he's back and has added muscle to play way more physical on defense.

And yes, we should trade Soucy but I think we're way too late to actually get that high of a return given all the picks that have already been traded.

Yep, Chychrun has added quite some muscle(also changed his diet) and is now able to body up other players.
Of course it will hardly be talked about cause he plays in Arizona.

One difference in the big prices being paid yesterday and the ask for Chuchrun is that Chychrun is UFA in two years, so teams don't have the chance to negotiate an rfa extension. Meier is a huge risk with the QO, but he is still an RFA, so there will be some discussion. Jeannot is as well.

My knock on Chychrun isn't that he isn't physical, but it is his defensive positioning and decision making without the puck. He is a solid 2/3 guy in my mind and would be a nice addition to most teams, but you just don't pay two 1sts and a 2nd for a 2/3 guy that is injury prone and a UFA in two seasons... at least I would not.

Like stated above, Chychrun has added quite some muscle and is now able to body up guys and not just use his stick like before.
Though, he's never going to be a shutdown defender.

Overall I think he's worth two first rounders in this current market and with the prices teams are able to get for their players.
That, of course, will change a bit if he stays in Arizona and they'll try to deal him in the offseason.

If anyone is offering a first, second, third, fourth and fifth for Soucy, take it and run.

I'd actually want Francis to say yes and run as soon as someone tells him they're giving him a first rounder.
Though, I don't think that will happen.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

So the Blackhawks get a 1st, 2nd, some players for McCabe, Lafferty and two 5th rounders. :scared:

Would've been nice if Ron would've called his friend Kyle and told him Soucy's available...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I'm guessing that Seattle is going to end up with nothing or little because it's insane the prices that are being paid.
I don't think we need fringe/depth pieces so that is most likely the right thing to do this TDL, unless there is a chance to add a core piece which I doubt Francis wants to pay for.

In my opinion we should just try to move some Soucy, Sprong, Geekie, etc. if there is value to be had. Basically anyone unlikely to be re-signed next season. While I have not given up on the season or us making the playoffs, the recent play has definitely made be wary about us spending any assets for a non-core piece this TDL.

I am looking forward to next development camp when we can see how good Wright, Evans, Winterton, Nelson, Melanson, Goyette and all our top prospects are looking like. Hopefully Evans-Borgen can become our young bottom pairing and we can introduce Wright + another prospect in our bottom-9.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think we need fringe/depth pieces so that is most likely the right thing to do this TDL, unless there is a chance to add a core piece which I doubt Francis wants to pay for.

In my opinion we should just try to move some Soucy, Sprong, Geekie, etc. if there is value to be had. Basically anyone unlikely to be re-signed next season. While I have not given up on the season or us making the playoffs, the recent play has definitely made be wary about us spending any assets for a non-core piece this TDL.

I am looking forward to next development camp when we can see how good Wright, Evans, Winterton, Nelson, Melanson, Goyette and all our top prospects are looking like. Hopefully Evans-Borgen can become our young bottom pairing and we can introduce Wright + another prospect in our bottom-9.

Who are the team going to replace those players on the roster with if they get moved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad