Ronnie's Roulette - Year two TDL Edition

What should Francis and the Kraken do at the TDL?

• Go big and swing for the fences

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Something small to improve roster depth

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Be creative and sell for the right return

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • nah, nothing we're good

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The only one you could get close to just a "hockey trade" would be Merzlikins but the Jackets are around the cap and needed to give away Bjorkstrand last summer to make things work.
I doubt they'd have interest adding another $0.5M on a goalie with subpar numbers.

This feels a bit overstated. If contract terms aren't exact then teams can compensate with minor draft picks. We see trades like that every year.

In this particular case, half a million in cap is not going to stop a trade like this if the two teams want to make a change of scenery trade. The Jackets have more cap flexibility going forward, especially with Voracek LTI-Retired.

Just to give you an idea of the issues at stake with Merzlikins, he has PTSD from fireworks now, for understandable reasons, and is bothered by the boom from the Jackets cannon. He really needs to be traded. So half a million in cap isn't going to be a thing. Grubauer's contract running through age ~35 might be more of an issue though.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

That would be stupid. Hopefully just nonsense

Sounds like nonsense. GMRF has been all about a slow and steady rise. I don't see us being a half-step to a step ahead of schedule being a valid reason to burn the blueprints.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This feels a bit overstated. If contract terms aren't exact then teams can compensate with minor draft picks. We see trades like that every year.

In this particular case, half a million in cap is not going to stop a trade like this if the two teams want to make a change of scenery trade. The Jackets have more cap flexibility going forward, especially with Voracek LTI-Retired.

Just to give you an idea of the issues at stake with Merzlikins, he has PTSD from fireworks now, for understandable reasons, and is bothered by the boom from the Jackets cannon. He really needs to be traded. So half a million in cap isn't going to be a thing. Grubauer's contract running through age ~35 might be more of an issue though.

Thanks for the info.

I still had Columbus in cap trouble given that they had to trade us Bjorkstrand for next to nothing.
I also believe that even $0.5M makes a difference in the current financial climate unless the cap actually goes up by what some have predicted.

Thouh, if things don't change)meaning Grubauer) I wouldn't mind that(we could throw in a 4th or so as well) and maybe Merzlikins could get back on track in Seattle.

Reactions: majormajor

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Thanks for the info.

I still had Columbus in cap trouble given that they had to trade us Bjorkstrand for next to nothing.
I also believe that even $0.5M makes a difference in the current financial climate unless the cap actually goes up by what some have predicted.

Thouh, if things don't change)meaning Grubauer) I wouldn't mind that(we could throw in a 4th or so as well) and maybe Merzlikins could get back on track in Seattle.

Its going to cost us more than a 4th to move gru's contract. Contract dumps aren't cheap and its more likely based on previous contract dump trades i seen, it'll more than likely require us to give up a first round pick and possible eat salary for the next several years.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Its going to cost us more than a 4th to move gru's contract. Contract dumps aren't cheap and its more likely based on previous contract dump trades i seen, it'll more than likely require us to give up a first round pick and possible eat salary for the next several years.

The talk was about trading Grubauer for Merzlikins.
Both guys have four more years on their contract with Grubauer at $5.9M and Merzlikins at $5.4M per season.

So that would save us $0.5M per season while Merzlikins is having an even worse season and supposedly wants out of Columbus/needs a change of scenery.

So there certainly wouldn't be a first round pick required in a "hockey trade" like this and if you would've read my comments before you would've seen that I never thought trading Grubauer would be easy.
I mean, i even argued against that....

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
The talk was about trading Grubauer for Merzlikins.
Both guys have four more years on their contract with Grubauer at $5.9M and Merzlikins at $5.4M per season.

So that would save us $0.5M per season while Merzlikins is having an even worse season and supposedly wants out of Columbus/needs a change of scenery.

So there certainly wouldn't be a first round pick required in a "hockey trade" like this and if you would've read my comments before you would've seen that I never thought trading Grubauer would be easy.
I mean, i even argued against that....
If the CBJ would do Merzlikins for Grubauer straight up I’d take that in a heartbeat. Having watched both since their rookie seasons I have more faith in Elvis bouncing back at a high level than I do Gru.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the CBJ would do Merzlikins for Grubauer straight up I’d take that in a heartbeat. Having watched both since their rookie seasons I have more faith in Elvis bouncing back at a high level than I do Gru.

I doubt CBJ would ever consider getting rid of Merzlikins.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I doubt CBJ would ever consider getting rid of Merzlikins.

He's been clearly outplayed by Korpisalo and has worse numbers than our goalies.

And according to @majormajor he might have some problems with their arena sounds(the cannon after every goal) thanks to the situation in which his teammated died saving his son.

I'm not sure if something like Grubauer for Merzlikins would actually happen but if the stuff said by major is anywhere close to being true I don't think Columbus wouldn't look to trade him somewhere else.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's been clearly outplayed by Korpisalo and has worse numbers than our goalies.

And according to @majormajor he might have some problems with their arena sounds(the cannon after every goal) thanks to the situation in which his teammated died saving his son.

I'm not sure if something like Grubauer for Merzlikins would actually happen but if the stuff said by major is anywhere close to being true I don't think Columbus wouldn't look to trade him somewhere else.

Here's a report that covers some of the basics of the situation - the PTSD, the death of Kivlenieks: Blue Jackets' cannon was an issue for Merzlikins after teammate Kivlenieks' tragic death

Just incredibly tragic. He's been acting out this year. I can't help but feel that the Jackets owe him a fresh start elsewhere.

From the Kraken perspective I'd definitely be interested - he's still young and has the talent. But also do a lot of homework on his mental state. Does he just need a fresh start or is it bigger than that?

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
What's the value of Soucy in a trade? I mean i Lauzon got the Kraken a 2nd, then we should be looking at similar for him right? I like Soucy but he's in the 3rd D-pair here and a UFA. If we do ship him out we would need to bring in another LD to replace him. One out for a 2nd and another In for a 3rd?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's the value of Soucy in a trade? I mean i Lauzon got the Kraken a 2nd, then we should be looking at similar for him right? I like Soucy but he's in the 3rd D-pair here and a UFA. If we do ship him out we would need to bring in another LD to replace him. One out for a 2nd and another In for a 3rd?

That would be the most silly and pointless trade.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

If you do trade Soucy you have two options, IMO.

1) Trade him for the best pick you could get and try to fill the spot wither internally or with a cheap LHD.

2) Trade him for a younger, cost controlled player.

I think the first option is tough cause I doubt Ryker Evans is ready and you don't really want to replace him with Cale Fleury or Gustav Oloffson for the rest of the season.
That would weaken to team and would be a tough sell to the fans.

The second option, to me, would be interesting because you might downgrade a bit but get a guy that can help you for more than just this season and could grow with the younger guys.
That could be an interesting option cause you would actually get a player back and not just a pick and a body.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If you do trade Soucy you have two options, IMO.

1) Trade him for the best pick you could get and try to fill the spot wither internally or with a cheap LHD.

2) Trade him for a younger, cost controlled player.

I think the first option is tough cause I doubt Ryker Evans is ready and you don't really want to replace him with Cale Fleury or Gustav Oloffson for the rest of the season.
That would weaken to team and would be a tough sell to the fans.

The second option, to me, would be interesting because you might downgrade a bit but get a guy that can help you for more than just this season and could grow with the younger guys.
That could be an interesting option cause you would actually get a player back and not just a pick and a body.
I do not see us 'downgrading' from Soucy for a playoff run. I only see him getting traded if we are completely out of the playoff picture OR we are working on acquiring a bigger fish at the TDL who is an upgrade on Soucy.

The younger, cost controlled player makes sense in a way but for a team that is trying to make its first playoffs in franchise history, I do not see it happening.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I do not see us 'downgrading' from Soucy for a playoff run. I only see him getting traded if we are completely out of the playoff picture OR we are working on acquiring a bigger fish at the TDL who is an upgrade on Soucy.

The younger, cost controlled player makes sense in a way but for a team that is trying to make its first playoffs in franchise history, I do not see it happening.

Yeah, I don't see it either and I also don't see us making a big splash at the TDL.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Yeah, I don't see it either and I also don't see us making a big splash at the TDL.
A trade would almost 100% involve either shipping out someone who’s currently producing, or giving up high draft picks, to fill a need. I don’t think Francis wants to do either. The team is playing well, and there’s a chemistry through the lineup you don’t want to mess with.
Whatever happens the rest of this season will inform what needs to be done in the summer, when the blood in the water nature of the trade deadline has dissipated.
I’d rather build toward sustained excellence than roll the dice in year two.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Here's a report that covers some of the basics of the situation - the PTSD, the death of Kivlenieks: Blue Jackets' cannon was an issue for Merzlikins after teammate Kivlenieks' tragic death

Just incredibly tragic. He's been acting out this year. I can't help but feel that the Jackets owe him a fresh start elsewhere.

From the Kraken perspective I'd definitely be interested - he's still young and has the talent. But also do a lot of homework on his mental state. Does he just need a fresh start or is it bigger than that?
I think it’s a bit of both. As you said, the talent is there, but he’s gone from initially saying he was going to win a Vezina for Kiv in the wake of the accident to sounding pretty defeated in interviews this year. Some of that could be just how bad the CBJ is, some could be the effects of PTSD. A change of scenery can only help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad