3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm less cross about it tonight with the lack of horses we had, but Quinn's tendency to stick Lemieux in front of the net in man-advantage situations continues to befuddle me.

Lemieux is 185 pounds and has no hands to speak of. Why would he be good in front of the net?
This idea that Lemieux can be some sort of Kreider lite is ludicrous. He doesn’t have the strength, skill or smarts.

He’s a bottom six grinder, the idea that he’s going to be anything more than that - let alone a PP player - needs to end. He hustles and has good wheels. Their goal with him should be to turn him into a tenacious forechecker. We seee it from him now and then but it should be his consistent role.

Stop trying to force him to be something that he’s not cut out for. He definitely has the ability to be a top flight forechecker and shit disturber who brings much needed energy. Theres nothing wrong with that.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Fox was absolutely spectacular tonight. He made 12-18 incredibly difficult plays look easy and another 4-6 that were so unique only he could have pulled it off. This guy is unreal.

They fought hard. It was a sloppy game. Igor stood on his head for the most part. Too many shots, way too many quality chances against.

It isn’t easy when your top pairing and three of your top forwards are out. It shows. When your second pp unit features Bitetto and Rooney you know you are having some issues.

Zib looked much better. If he buries one they may get a point or two. Blackwell with another solid game. Lemieux was on the ice more than he was skating. Smith was all over the place and looked fantastic and terrible at the same time.

It is what it is.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
R Lindgren 14:45 minutes of ice time
Hajek 16
Bitteto 18

Crazy but not even undeserved, Lindgren sucked tonight. I don't think he got hurt or anything either, he just got benched.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Fox was absolutely spectacular tonight. He made 12-18 incredibly difficult plays look easy and another 4-6 that were so unique only he could have pulled it off. This guy is unreal.

They fought hard. It was a sloppy game. Igor stood on his head for the most part. Too many shots, way too many quality chances against.

It isn’t easy when your top pairing and three of your top forwards are out. It shows. When your second pp unit features Bitetto and Rooney you know you are having some issues.

Zib looked much better. If he buries one they may get a point or two. Blackwell with another solid game. Lemieux was on the ice more than he was skating. Smith was all over the place and looked fantastic and terrible at the same time.

It is what it is.
They kept it simple but got away from that as the game wore on. It's their perpetual Achilles heel

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Mika gotta get his backhander back. That move was automatic last year and tonight it got denied twice by Brian Freaking Elliot! Lol

I didn’t think Lafreniere did much but I didn’t think he looked bad either. I think Buchnevich looked pretty rough and I noticed a few times where Laf was open and Buch didn’t get it to him or where Laf made a nice pass and Buch missed it or was out of position. Early in the third is one that sticks out Laf made a nice play and put it in front for Buch who would’ve had a open net one timer but instead as the puck was coming to him he zigged when he should’ve zagged and took himself out of position for it so it just went harmlessly through the slot.

The PP scoring twice is only going to justify Quinn’s decision to put Blackwell on it but I still think Lafreneire should’ve been on it. Aside from the RH/LH balance that has been discussed endlessly here, just having Panarin out is the PERFECT opportunity to slide Laf in and try and get him going. Putting Blackwell in that slot does nothing. Either he plays like the 4th liner he is and flubs plays (which he did the 2nd PP) or he is largely fine without having to do too much (which he was on all the other PPs for the most part). It just seeems like the benefit of putting Blackwell there is nil when it could’ve been the perfect opportunity to get Lafreneire some confidence and to get him going. Try and kick in in the backside to get it going. Seems like a missed opportunity.

He’s certainly not going to gain any confidence or anything by playing 30 seconds a PP with Smith and Bitetto and Lemieux as his mates.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
At some point even his biggest defenders need to point the mirror at Quinn about Kakko and Lafreniere. It’s two straight years with a first and second overall pick who were both dominant at their previous levels and come to the Rangers and immediately seem to struggle with a large amount of it being a crisis of lack of confidence.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
R Lindgren 14:45 minutes of ice time
Hajek 16
Bitteto 18

Crazy but not even undeserved, Lindgren sucked tonight. I don't think he got hurt or anything either, he just got benched.

When we have so few NHL level defenseman how do you bench Lindgren?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At some point even his biggest defenders need to point the mirror at Quinn about Kakko and Lafreniere. It’s two straight years with a first and second overall pick who were both dominant at their previous levels and come to the Rangers and immediately seem to struggle with a large amount of it being a crisis of lack of confidence.
Yeah, but there's injuries, so they won't.

On the one hand, there certainly are injuries. And covid. And DeAngelo. And international espionage. That was the worst lineup to start a game in 20 years and they didn't have much control over it.

But my concern is, do I trust David Quinn with a "burn the whole city down, we'll chalk it up to the whole year was nuts and you're back next year" blank check? No, I do not.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
This idea that Lemieux can be some sort of Kreider lite is ludicrous. He doesn’t have the strength, skill or smarts.

He’s a bottom six grinder, the idea that he’s going to be anything more than that - let alone a PP player - needs to end. He hustles and has good wheels. Their goal with him should be to turn him into a tenacious forechecker. We seee it from him now and then but it should be his consistent role.

Stop trying to force him to be something that he’s not cut out for. He definitely has the ability to be a top flight forechecker and shit disturber who brings much needed energy. Theres nothing wrong with that.

What's crazy is not only do Management/Coaching think that, but fans think that he can be Avery on the PP. Avery had more skill in one hand than Lemiuex and Avery was a 40 point player.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It’s fun. Never in his hockey career since being drafted has Chris Kreider shown anything that would make people consider him a superstar, and yet here HF is 11(!) years after he was drafted, surprised that he’s not a superstar.

He is what he is. A very effective player that plays the boards well, can play the cycle well, is incredibly athletic, but just straight up does not have the hands necessary to make him a point producing superstar.
Exactly. Even tonight, he had a hat trick. And his 3 goals traveled a total of 6 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad