Post-Game Talk: rongos @ Flyers

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Agree that at this point in the season 2 many men should never happen, but I don't see how delay-of-game penalties make a difference on what time of the year it happens. It's a random play at a random time by a panicked player trying to get rid of it. When it happens & the Time of the Season is irrelevant.
Short training camp, weird year I can at least make an excuse first 5 games of the year. If you can't figure out lines by game 17 and have too many men TWICE either players are stupid, coach is stupid or all of the above.
Delay of game is more on players than coaches and awareness of players. I will say if you are shorthanded in the back of your mind the one thing I can't do is have a delay of game.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Laf doesn’t attack the puck. Even when he’s in front of the net and there’s a loose puck, he’s reaching with his stick instead of gaining leverage on the D, leaning on them, and finding ways to get closer to the puck. always being courteous to the other team it seems ‘oh you saw the puck first, I’ll be over here my apologies please go right ahead’

how often is the first forward (like Lindgren) tying up a d in front allowing the other guy (CK) to tap it in? It’s not always about the scoring chance, but just doing your job balls to the wall to open space for teammates

Reactions: DanielBrassard

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Short training camp, weird year I can at least make an excuse first 5 games of the year. If you can't figure out lines by game 17 and have too many men TWICE either players are stupid, coach is stupid or all of the above.
Delay of game is more on players than coaches and awareness of players. I will say if you are shorthanded in the back of your mind the one thing I can't do is have a delay of game.
It’s on the players for a one off and in the moment, but it’s on the coach when it’s a pattern

Reactions: Flyer lurker

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
1. Zibanejad and Kreider coming around is huge for the rest of the season once we get all our MIAs back. Kreider scored like 5 goals in the last few games after doing absolutely nothing for the first dozen

2. Buchnevich had a rough game - it happens. Very possible what happened to Panarin affected his mental state

3. Lafreniere should not be on the top line. He’s just not able to keep up yet at this point and is just forced to be there due to circumstances

4. Strome is a player. Been away from Panarin on more than a few occasions and looked totally respectable. Hasn’t been guilty of taking many unnecessary penalties either

5. PP1 looked beautiful, including Blackwell. Funny to see comments acknowledging this and then immediately saying “but Lafreniere should be there”. Lafreniere did absolutely nothing on PP2 to even justify getting a chance on PP1. He will get there eventually but not now.

6. Is it Brodzinski or Brutalzinki? This experiment should end. Send him back to AHL

7. Very tough luck with what’s happening to this team that otherwise should have been a lot close to playoff spot

Reactions: romba

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is also the coach that insisted on playing Howden 16 minutes a night ahead of Andersson who got 8 and lead to Andersson's eventual demotion and abscondment and now through the last 2 years, Howden is still an AHLer. This guy is quick to give Blackwell and Rooney so much freedom and reward but can't find a reason to be forgiving and yielding to just about all of our top forward prospects. It's just bizarre. Torts and AV had more confidence and faith in young players.

Gauthier, Howden, Lemieux, Lafrenier and Kakko last year all look like they were defeated and dejected. Andersson fled the country and Vitali digitally divorced the Rangers. Nothing is more important for these kids than a happy work environment and positive every day attitude. Every day this coach is here is doing tremendous harm to these kids.

I call bullshit on this.

Kravtsov wasn’t / isn’t ready and why he’s in the KHL getting reps there.

Andersson? Checkout how he’s been doing in LAK. Or is it also somehow Quinn’s fault.

Kakko’s been arguably 2-3 best forward on the team this season before injuries and Covid. Same with Chytil

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If Fox had an extra gear in his foot speed and could shoot better, he'd be unstoppable. The amount of pucks he stops dead from batting mid-air is astonishing.

Reactions: Rongomania

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
last nights game was so wide open that DeAngelo would have had 5 points on the night

but I guess somehow we are a better team without him :sarcasm:
But how many goals would he have been on the ice for because it was so wide open?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's usually the time Kreider wakes up.

My original comment wasn't meant to be a snarky quip about Kreider. He has consistently been one of the best play drivers on the team year-after-year, but that hasn't been the case this year. I just checked back over the last 5 years, and he's always been near the top on the team in shot- and scoring chance generation through the first ~25% of games. He's been on the uptick recently, and this team desperately needs him, and Zibanejad, to carry the load while we're missing essentially an entire top-4 d pairing and top-6 line.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1. Zibanejad and Kreider coming around is huge for the rest of the season once we get all our MIAs back. Kreider scored like 5 goals in the last few games after doing absolutely nothing for the first dozen

2. Buchnevich had a rough game - it happens. Very possible what happened to Panarin affected his mental state

3. Lafreniere should not be on the top line. He’s just not able to keep up yet at this point and is just forced to be there due to circumstances

4. Strome is a player. Been away from Panarin on more than a few occasions and looked totally respectable. Hasn’t been guilty of taking many unnecessary penalties either

5. PP1 looked beautiful, including Blackwell. Funny to see comments acknowledging this and then immediately saying “but Lafreniere should be there”. Lafreniere did absolutely nothing on PP2 to even justify getting a chance on PP1. He will get there eventually but not now.

6. Is it Brodzinski or Brutalzinki? This experiment should end. Send him back to AHL

7. Very tough luck with what’s happening to this team that otherwise should have been a lot close to playoff spot
Strome had a couple bad turnovers and was taking heat in the GDT but I think Strome has looked good the past few games

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome had a couple bad turnovers and was taking heat in the GDT but I think Strome has looked good the past few games

He did have these turnovers but he wasn’t the only one - the whole team was trying to do a bit too much trying to get back into the game.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
That throne is reserved for Trouba. Kreider is protected from contract criticism because of that $8M abomination.

Since when does this board have only one whipping boy. There are plenty of posters who have complained about the length of contract and his age.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

Great post, agree with literally everything you just said.

Laf is a half a step behind and did nothing with his PP time. Hangs on to the puck too long still. Guys in the NHL close out QUICK because they read plays before they happen. So you think you have a second, but the defenders are much smarter and already angled his body/momentum toward you allowing him to glide right into you and WHAMMO, they're on you with time and space gone. Unless your Fox, Panarin or Tony D, you can't stop to survey the ice even on the PP. (Buch falls into this trap too, but he's savvy enough to usually weasel his way out of being cornered). Laf doesn't have the bag of tricks yet to draw the defender(s) and then find the open man. Chytil I feel would be a great fit for him to continue to acclimate to the physicality and speed, not a top liner yet but still big strong and skilled to help alleviate some of the pressure.

Buch has looked iffy with his decision making recently, but was really bad last night. It's like he knows the right play is to play it deep or throw it on net with guys in front, but that 10% cross ice chance just looks so tempting to him. From our high view point it's so cringe when 2 Flyers are in the passing lane and he tries to slip it through both pairs of skates.

Strome looks better without Panarin slowing him down lol, who'd have thunk??? Seriously though, he's making smart plays with the puck on his stick, not forcing it. And I didn't hear one peep about his sick defensive plays yesterday, racing back to save a goal after Fox was able to delay Philly just long enough for him to get back to break up an odd man play. He was also physical on the boards on the D zone too.

Hayes is a puck possession MONSTER and so smart with the puck and his passing and a nice shot to boot. I wanted to keep him so badly but too many dumb contracts at the time and we lost him for ZILCH... rinse and repeat, goddamnit

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
last nights game was so wide open that DeAngelo would have had 5 points on the night

but I guess somehow we are a better team without him :sarcasm:
We def aren't better w/o him. In fact, not only we aren't better, but we actually may be worse. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY commanded a PP like Tony did.

Wish we could have a mulligan starting with Quinn NOT being a dick trying to control his stupidity by benching him. His game wouldnt have gone sour AFTER benching, and just keep wondering "if" he wasnt hit with an ultimatum and overall series of events didnt happen and he played like he can, would we still have him? Unfortunately, I will probably NEVER forgive Georgiev for even being involved in any way with Tony, bringing it to such heights. I believe Georgiev incensed it and added fuel to the fire, so congrats. Apparently he's not at fault.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

My only thing with PP2 is that right now that unit has Buch and Lafreniere playing with Lemieux, Bitetto, and Smith. That's not a PP unit. That is a MASH unit. I think Rooney went out there to take a faceoff at one point. Missing Chytil, Kakko, and Panarin will do that, as well as Miller and Trouba.

Reactions: kovazub94

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well at least they didn’t blow a 3 goal lead in back to back games. Baby steps. A lot of key guys out, so not too upset. Flyers were also due for a win.

Reactions: Rongomania

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As I've said before Strome isn't as bad as everyone claims, he's a good stop gap..... however it doesn't fit a lot of people's narratives that he's the worst player ever. Ofcourse the 'he only gets points because of Panarin' crowd will have to micromanage every turnover now and type in caps OMG STROME! lol. It's actually fairly funny.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
One thing we knew coming into the season was that the defensive depth on this team would be problematic. Losing two top 4 guys is going to hurt this team more than some others. We're not playing with some kids out there in that bottom 4 (Hajek being the exception). Smith, Bitetto, and JJ are not going to lead you to win if that is half of your defense. It also didn't help that one of the other guys went rogue this season and is banned from the team.

If Miller is out for a while with the COVID protocols (hopefully he doesn't have it and it was just an inconclusive test), they have to consider calling up Tarmo. Nobody is going to claim JJ on waivers if they are concerned about bodies being available. He can chill on the taxi squad.

The good news is that after this season, some of those depth concerns could start going away. Nils, Tarmo, Jones, possibly Schneider, and Robertson should be able to be promoted or earn a spot in camp. If the defense is the same for Friday, they are going to be eaten alive by the Bruins.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I call bullshit on this.

Kravtsov wasn’t / isn’t ready and why he’s in the KHL getting reps there.

Andersson? Checkout how he’s been doing in LAK. Or is it also somehow Quinn’s fault.

Kakko’s been arguably 2-3 best forward on the team this season before injuries and Covid. Same with Chytil

You're right, these kids weren't ready but the organizational mismanagement from them being with NYR in the first place when they weren't ready to the coaching staff pushing Vitali and Lias into the darkest place they've ever been in their careers has created plenty of fault and blame to go around. Things were so dark that Lias absconded and Vitali had an entire developmental year wiped off after going back to the K and performing so poorly he was sent to the VHL. Miscommunication and mismanagement from the way Kaapo left after the end of the year last year to our 7th OA and 9th OA.

The bar some of you set is so incredibly low. Between our 1OA 2OA and instant riser in Filip, Kakko looking like the 2-3 best forwards when the only competition he has is Bread, Kreids, the departed soul of Zibanejad is barely anything when we traded away an entire generation of Rangers players to rebuild.

Reactions: bl02

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Under the circumstances, the overall result was better than I expected. The team iced a blue line with basically 4 spare defensemen on it and a forward group with at least 6 4th liners / AHLers in it and actually managed to keep it somewhat close despite all of that and a steady parade to the penalty box.

Zib and Kreider playing well is huge. Igor made some brilliant saves. Fox continues to be stellar. More good than bad to be taken away from last night, all things considered. At least IMO.

I think the Rangers are trying to be patient with guys like Barron and Reunanen before throwing them into the deep end of this cesspool. I think we'll see some more guys like Raddysh, Gettinger, etc, before we see those two come up.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I wonder the psychology of Gorton on what he's seeing. Tons of picks he's traded for with good players. He swung for Howden and Hajek in the biggest trade of his career. He brought in a pest like Lemieux that teams were inquiring about right after we got him. He traded Joey Keane for the best shot at some offensive prospects he could muster in Gauthier. Just about every roster player he's traded for in hopes of being the depth in our rebuild or at least valuable pieces that can be flipped has turned out poorly. I'd reckon with the trade market being what it is, we're going to be much better off getting a new coach and seeing these players under an NHL coach before we start shipping off a slew of under performing 1st rounders.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I wonder the psychology of Gorton on what he's seeing. Tons of picks he's traded for with good players. He swung for Howden and Hajek in the biggest trade of his career. He brought in a pest like Lemieux that teams were inquiring about right after we got him. He traded Joey Keane for the best shot at some offensive prospects he could muster in Gauthier. Just about every roster player he's traded for in hopes of being the depth in our rebuild or at least valuable pieces that can be flipped has turned out poorly. I'd reckon with the trade market being what it is, we're going to be much better off getting a new coach and seeing these players under an NHL coach before we start shipping off a slew of under performing 1st rounders.

It's hard to say though. This season is so chaotic in every respect, that it's going to take its toll on the youngest team in the league that also happens to be in the most stacked division in the league.

It's been a bit of a circus, starting with the first game where DeAngelo took a 4 minute minor penalty. And since then, the team has had moments of defensive excellence, but has also been a bit all over the road. They've lost a ton of games where they played well enough to win too. Then there was about a week or two where they played with zero confidence and couldn't score at all.

You had arguably your best player with COVID-19 deep into training camp who has been struggling to score after a 41 goal season, an offense generating defensemen who got into a fistfight with the goalie then kicked off the team, then your other best player with an injury and then involved in an international political incident (you just can't make this stuff up), you also lost your top paid defensemen for 4-6 weeks due to a broken thumb, and you lose arguably your hottest center in Chytil for 4-6 weeks just as he was starting to play some high-tempo hockey.

The unique elements of this season meant that the deepest team was going to be the strongest, since the roster was always going to be somewhat depleted, but I just think that lends more of an advantage to older, more experienced teams. Rangers, even at their most successful last season, were not a deep team. Zib, Panarin, DeAngelo and Kreider generated most of the offense. And that was pretty much it.

There are certain things you can easily blame on Quinn, and I won't pretend to know whether he's actually doing a good job or not. But you also have to scratch your head and wonder whether anyone could genuinely do any better given the circumstances so far.

Reactions: Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad