Post-Game Talk: rongos @ Flyers

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know some feel like yesterday's loss was ok since we were down some key players and it was a close game. So were the Flyers and they were playing Elliot which was our chance to at least try to get a point out of that game. Now we have the Bruins next two games. Are we confident that any of Miller, Kakko, Chytil, Panarin, Trouba (obviously not) will be back to help?

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I know some feel like yesterday's loss was ok since we were down some key players and it was a close game. So were the Flyers and they were playing Elliot which was our chance to at least try to get a point out of that game. Now we have the Bruins next two games. Are we confident that any of Miller, Kakko, Chytil, Panarin, Trouba (obviously not) will be back to help?

We are thin on depth at this point, they aren't. When we lose an even marginal player it disrupts our lineup, losing our best player, arguably our 2nd or 3rd best d, a top 6 winger and a top 9 center it really throws things off for us. I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning either game this weekend unless Miller and Panarin are back. The reason some , myself included saw some positive in it was that the players you expect to be but havent been good were good to very good and hopefully when we get everyone back everyone is playing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We are thin on depth at this point, they aren't. When we lose an even marginal player it disrupts our lineup, losing our best player, arguably our 2nd or 3rd best d, a top 6 and a top 9 center it really throws things off for us. I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning either game this weekend unless Miller and Panarin are back. The reason some , myself included saw some positive in it was that the players you expect to be but havent been good were good to very good and hopefully when we get everyone back everyone is playing well.
No doubt just saying that last night was our chance to grab at least a point since now next two games seem very daunting. The Flyers (even if deeper than us) were missing 4 forwards and a dman, their starting goalie.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's hard to say though. This season is so chaotic in every respect, that it's going to take its toll on the youngest team in the league that also happens to be in the most stacked division in the league.

It's been a bit of a circus, starting with the first game where DeAngelo took a 4 minute minor penalty. And since then, the team has had moments of defensive excellence, but has also been a bit all over the road. They've lost a ton of games where they played well enough to win too. Then there was about a week or two where they played with zero confidence and couldn't score at all.

You had arguably your best player with COVID-19 deep into training camp who has been struggling to score after a 41 goal season, an offense generating defensemen who got into a fistfight with the goalie then kicked off the team, then your other best player with an injury and then involved in an international political incident (you just can't make this stuff up), you also lost your top paid defensemen for 4-6 weeks due to a broken thumb, and you lose arguably your hottest center in Chytil for 4-6 weeks just as he was starting to play some high-tempo hockey.

The unique elements of this season meant that the deepest team was going to be the strongest, since the roster was always going to be somewhat depleted, but I just think that lends more of an advantage to older, more experienced teams. Rangers, even at their most successful last season, were not a deep team. Zib, Panarin, DeAngelo and Kreider generated most of the offense. And that was pretty much it.

There are certain things you can easily blame on Quinn, and I won't pretend to know whether he's actually doing a good job or not. But you also have to scratch your head and wonder whether anyone could genuinely do any better given the circumstances so far.

Ya I agree. It's a hard thing to figure out this season but I think the bar for management in this rebuild with all these kids has to be "can we do better?"

Of all these incidents, I hope JD and Gorton and Drury have been examining and improving behind close doors and trying to learn by looking in the mirror and wondering if they or their coaches could have done better to prevent Lias from absconding, Vitali from losing a year of his development, Tony from becoming a mess, all these young 1st round bottom 6 players just not doing anything, the leadership core falling apart after Staal, Fast, Lundqvist left and even the three hopefuls in Chytil, Kakko, and Laf looking great overall but still no real meaningful production.

Reactions: bl02

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Great post, agree with literally everything you just said.

Laf is a half a step behind and did nothing with his PP time. Hangs on to the puck too long still. Guys in the NHL close out QUICK because they read plays before they happen. So you think you have a second, but the defenders are much smarter and already angled his body/momentum toward you allowing him to glide right into you and WHAMMO, they're on you with time and space gone. Unless your Fox, Panarin or Tony D, you can't stop to survey the ice even on the PP. (Buch falls into this trap too, but he's savvy enough to usually weasel his way out of being cornered). Laf doesn't have the bag of tricks yet to draw the defender(s) and then find the open man. Chytil I feel would be a great fit for him to continue to acclimate to the physicality and speed, not a top liner yet but still big strong and skilled to help alleviate some of the pressure.

Buch has looked iffy with his decision making recently, but was really bad last night. It's like he knows the right play is to play it deep or throw it on net with guys in front, but that 10% cross ice chance just looks so tempting to him. From our high view point it's so cringe when 2 Flyers are in the passing lane and he tries to slip it through both pairs of skates.

Strome looks better without Panarin slowing him down lol, who'd have thunk??? Seriously though, he's making smart plays with the puck on his stick, not forcing it. And I didn't hear one peep about his sick defensive plays yesterday, racing back to save a goal after Fox was able to delay Philly just long enough for him to get back to break up an odd man play. He was also physical on the boards on the D zone too.

Hayes is a puck possession MONSTER and so smart with the puck and his passing and a nice shot to boot. I wanted to keep him so badly but too many dumb contracts at the time and we lost him for ZILCH... rinse and repeat, goddamnit
Funny about Hayes. When we saw him every night we harped on his negatives; same with Pionk. Now we wish they were here. Waiting for all the regrets over Fast coming soon.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Funny about Hayes. When we saw him every night we harped on his negatives; same with Pionk. Now we wish they were here. Waiting for all the regrets over Fast coming soon.

He was on pace for like 49 points last year less than he'd have with us I believe. Sure, he's had a nice start this year but it's a small sample size.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
We are thin on depth at this point, they aren't. When we lose an even marginal player it disrupts our lineup, losing our best player, arguably our 2nd or 3rd best d, a top 6 winger and a top 9 center it really throws things off for us. I don't think we have a snowballs chance in hell of winning either game this weekend unless Miller and Panarin are back. The reason some , myself included saw some positive in it was that the players you expect to be but havent been good were good to very good and hopefully when we get everyone back everyone is playing well.
Encouraging signs from Kreider but especially Mika. However, Strome was invisible when he really needs to step up now.

Reactions: Tob

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I always thought he passed too much. But he was always one of our top players... BUT I was definitely in the group that wanted to sign him. We finally had our #1 and #2 centers.

We essentially traded him for Trouba and Lemieux. With 20/20 hindsigh and bringing cap hits into perspective... I'd rather have Hayes. I like Trouba but he's not a $8M player.

Pionk and Fast are replacable.

Hayes still has not been replaced

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
there is no team in hockey that has the depth to offset losing 3 top 6 forwards and 3 top 4 defensemen long term.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
No doubt just saying that last night was our chance to grab at least a point since now next two games seem very daunting. The Flyers (even if deeper than us) were missing 4 forwards and a dman, their starting goalie.
Elliott made a slew of very good saves; not sure Hart would have been any better. The guys they are missing, although integral are not the quality of what we are missing. Panarin alone covers Laughton and Koneckny and maybe one more guy.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
He was on pace for like 49 points last year less than he'd have with us I believe. Sure, he's had a nice start this year but it's a small sample size.
He's good, but he has serious mental lapses during a year and frustrates you with his effort. The problem is center is our weak spot. We will pick up a 2/3C this offseason with all the money/prospects we will have to trade with after all the dead contracts come off the books. Just rooting for the kids.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Encouraging signs from Kreider but especially Mika. However, Strome was invisible when he really needs to step up now.

Not sure what game you’re watching. Strome was centering Kreider and Blackwell - the Rangers most effective line last night. Apologies if it doesn’t fit your agenda.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Elliott made a slew of very good saves; not sure Hart would have been any better. The guys they are missing, although integral are not the quality of what we are missing. Panarin alone covers Laughton and Koneckny and maybe one more guy.
Every goalie we play against makes a slew of saves. Elliot stinks.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Someone explain to me why Quinn still has a job? I get the d that was on the ice last night does not remotely resemble the d you were hoping to have on the ice. But 8 penalties including 2 too many men on the ice and 2 delay of game penalties should not be happening at this point in the season.
The Sparknotes version of Quinn is that we knew we were rebuilding so we hired a coach that's not really an X's and O's guy but he's into the whole accountability/responsibility/effort spiel because our kids need to learn "the way" and whatnot, but he's such a bad coach tactically that nobody actually knows what they're supposed to do and just feels like mindless yelling after awhile. Which, in turn, makes us worse at all of that stuff.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
fox was unbelievable...his iq everywhere on the ice is special, as is his ability to handle crazy icetime

laf played one of his better games. i'm sure its largely confidence/nerves but one thing i keep expecting to take off is the ability to snap the puck off his stick to a spot. he got a few chances tonight and still rushes shots. the other thing is he's a very different player w/ say rooney and lemieux and then the top line. with the former he's so much more decisive - with the top line you can see him playing slower, thinking. he usually goes to the net but isn't overly physical there. its all part of the process though. he was better tonight and more involved, but still felt the glimpses on the other line were the player i'd like to see on the top line.

overall the forwards were good tonight. the d grinded out an ugly one. i know smith was a bit all over, but he was awesome. he may have gone overboard a bit, but i thought there was a period of the 3rd where over a couple mins he really charged up the bench. a few other guys got more involved.

mika looked like last season for the first time all year. igor was really good, coulda had the hayes goal. hajek on the whole played well...some blunders, but overall impressing.

brett howden with a free lane cutting across the slot...misses by 40 feet. he intended to hit the net - time to move on. hands like feet.

great effort from this group, really hope people start returning. so unlucky in every sense this year...scoring chances, refs, conference, almost every injury/lost time being for bigger pieces, esp kakko and chytil being young guys looking poised for a big step. would be nice to get some good news one of these days
Cool analysis.... yeah, the Howden Experiment HAS gone on too long. DQ always says "I thought he did some good things." What, he wasn't the 7th man on all game?" It's been 2+ years... seems like a good guy but not an NHL player.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Not sure what game you’re watching. Strome was centering Kreider and Blackwell - the Rangers most effective line last night. Apologies if it doesn’t fit your agenda.
Please don't accuse me of having agendas. Anyone who had read me enough here knows I don't and that I try to be fair based on what I see.

Maybe I missed some good Strome plays last night. And you're right, Strome was in on two of Kreider's goals, secondary assists. Maybe that's why I missed them. My memory was selectively focused on the Mika and Blackwell bombs that gave Kreider the tap ins, not Strome's passes that set up the shots.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Please don't accuse me of having agendas. Anyone who had read me enough here knows I don't and that I try to be fair based on what I see.

Maybe I missed some good Strome plays last night. And you're right, Strome was in on two of Kreider's goals.

My point was that Strome had a effective game so it’s weird that you called him out for having a bad game.

Reactions: will1066

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
My point was that Strome had a effective game so it’s weird that you called him out for having a bad game.
Admittedly I didn't watch the game as normal because i was multitasking another show that was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad