Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
it's possible for a player like that to benefit from playing on a smaller ice surface

if you forecheck hard, you're bound to get some turnovers. On a larger ice surface it would take you longer to get the puck to the net. Whereas, on an NHL ice surface it could work in his favour

Good point. I've been saying this about Tryamkin as well, who is also a good skater playing on big ice, and whose game is more suited to a small surface.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm a huge Kenins fan. I see his downside as a 4th liner, his likely potential as a more skilled, but less speedy Hansen, and his upside as 2nd liner akin to Burrows(who passes more), before the last couple seasons ie a 20G, 30A guy(this is very unlikley, but that's what his upside is for me).

I like the guy, but this is getting a bit carried away.

His downside would pretty clearly to be another Bill Sweatt - speedy, good-puckhandling guy who is an excellent two-way AHL forward but can't really make the step up. And I highly doubt he has top-6 NHL potential if he isn't playing regularly on the PP in the Swiss league at age 22.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I like the guy, but this is getting a bit carried away.

His downside would pretty clearly to be another Bill Sweatt - speedy, good-puckhandling guy who is an excellent two-way AHL forward but can't really make the step up. And I highly doubt he has top-6 NHL potential if he isn't playing regularly on the PP in the Swiss league at age 22.

While I respect your pov I don't think I'm getting carried away, as I did say its very unlikely that he'd reach the upside. He is though a pretty sure fire NHLer in my book, and his likely potential could be a 3rd line two-way winger. And as for the PP time argument, as with other euro leagues such as the SHL, FEL,, etc veterans take most of the top minutes, unless a prospect in a potential 1stliner/NHL 1St round pick...they play the guys who will be there for sure, instead of worrying about development time for other teams prospects.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While I respect your pov I don't think I'm getting carried away, as I did say its very unlikely that he'd reach the upside. He is though a pretty sure fire NHLer in my book, and his likely potential could be a 3rd line two-way winger. And as for the PP time argument, as with other euro leagues such as the SHL, FEL,, etc veterans take most of the top minutes, unless a prospect in a potential 1stliner/NHL 1St round pick...they play the guys who will be there for sure, instead of worrying about development time for other teams prospects.

Calling a 23 y/o Swiss player who scored 25 points in 39 games last year a 'sure fire NHLer' is getting carried away, though.

As I said, his tools aren't dissimilar from Bill Sweatt - and Sweatt obviously didn't make it.

I like Kenins a lot and think he's ridiculously under-rated in the prospect rankings being done here right now ... but prospects who are 'sure-fire NHLers' are very few and far between. We have two who *might* fit that label and both were top-10 picks.

Do agree that he has the realistic upside to be a speedy 15-goal two-way 3rd line player.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Calling a 23 y/o Swiss player who scored 25 points in 39 games last year a 'sure fire NHLer' is getting carried away, though.

As I said, his tools aren't dissimilar from Bill Sweatt - and Sweatt obviously didn't make it.

I like Kenins a lot and think he's ridiculously under-rated in the prospect rankings being done here right now ... but prospects who are 'sure-fire NHLers' are very few and far between. We have two who *might* fit that label and both were top-10 picks.

Do agree that he has the realistic upside to be a speedy 15-goal two-way 3rd line player.

Yes, I agree his likely potential is a lets say 15g 15a type 3rd liner, as I said. And maybe I can reword sure fire NHL to a low risk guy, or a high floor prospect. Agreed?

Now what I'm trying to say is I see the possibility if everting goes right that he could provide more offensive upside, but as I also said I doubt very mu,,h that happens.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It would be very nice to see the likes of Kenins, Gaunce and Shinkaruk push to make the big club.

Depending on where the club is in the standings it could allow us to trade roster players for picks in the 2015 draft, or to try to put a deal together for a young PMD.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Regarding the Sweatt comparisons, Kenins has far better mitts. Sweatt's hands made Jannik Hansen look like Patrick Kane.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Guy kind of reminds me of a poor-man's Dustin Brown....will hit anything that moves and finishes his checks...and at 205 pounds built like a bowling ball....always room for guys like that in the NHL as third-fourth liners.....could be one of the surprises at training camp on the smaller ice.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Regarding the Sweatt comparisons, Kenins has far better mitts. Sweatt's hands made Jannik Hansen look like Patrick Kane.

Yeah, this. I don't think Sweatt ever had the hands to match his speed. Still though, even a guy who bottoms out as a useful AHL'er in the worst-case scenario is pretty good considering we signed him for nothing.

Utica has a lot of big wingers, but he might well be the speediest one other than maybe Blomstrand who's not a lock for the Comets. Wonder where he fits and what sort of role, though as Zarpan mentioned in another thread his implied AHL PPG translation (0.76) bodes pretty well from last year's production in the Swiss league.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

He`s Latvian (sorry, had to say that :) )

How do you see him in the Nucks organisation? I assume he`ll start in Utica, right? Which line, if you have some idea?

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton

How do you see him in the Nucks organisation? I assume he`ll start in Utica, right? Which line, if you have some idea?

It's pretty tough to call where anyone will end up in Utica. This year will be a real dogfight in camp for spots. There are lots of quality players competing for jobs. If Kenins does land with Utica, I expect he will start on the 4th line and work his way up from there.

MissionCanucksFan

Mar 2, 2014

I can see Kenins on a shift disturber line of
Archibald-Lain-Kenins

I can also see him later in the season moving up to give skilled players room
Fox-Gaunce-Kenins
Or
Shinkaruk-O'Reilly-Kenins

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes that Lain-Archibald-Kenins line would be a handful....would like to see that trio in a few exhibition games for the 'Nucks...if either Lain or Archibald could pick up a step, they'd be very effective...opposing d-men would have to keep their heads on a swivel:handclap:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

I think we have more than 2.

Horvat and Virtanen are the 2 i assume you are referring to since they were our 2 top 10 picks so i won't bother with them.

Jensen already played a bit in the NHL and would compete for a spot this year. He would be in the NHL on a few other teams already. We have a lot of depth and that's the only reason he might not be on the team. That and of course the fact he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Gaunce looks like a sure fire NHLer as well. At the very least a 3rd line center in the near future. He'll likely take Richardson's roster spot next year and even compete for a spot this season.

Frank Corrado is probably NHL ready but we have depth on the blue line and since he doesn't need to clear waivers, he probably will play both in the AHL and NHL.

Finally Hunter Shinkaruk is a sure fire NHL prospect. Question is rather or not its for us and rather or not its for a winning organization. He has enough skill that there will be teams willing to take a chance on him sooner or later. His success and what team he plays for probably depends on how his defensive game develops since he more or less already has the offensive skill set required for the NHL.

There are more "sure fire" NHLers than you might think. Of course the amount they contribute might vary but they'll make it and play a decent number of NHL games. After all, pretty much every team need at least 25+ players during the course of a season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think we have more than 2.

Horvat and Virtanen are the 2 i assume you are referring to since they were our 2 top 10 picks so i won't bother with them.

Jensen already played a bit in the NHL and would compete for a spot this year. He would be in the NHL on a few other teams already. We have a lot of depth and that's the only reason he might not be on the team. That and of course the fact he doesn't need to clear waivers.

Gaunce looks like a sure fire NHLer as well. At the very least a 3rd line center in the near future. He'll likely take Richardson's roster spot next year and even compete for a spot this season.

Frank Corrado is probably NHL ready but we have depth on the blue line and since he doesn't need to clear waivers, he probably will play both in the AHL and NHL.

Finally Hunter Shinkaruk is a sure fire NHL prospect. Question is rather or not its for us and rather or not its for a winning organization. He has enough skill that there will be teams willing to take a chance on him sooner or later. His success and what team he plays for probably depends on how his defensive game develops since he more or less already has the offensive skill set required for the NHL.

There are more "sure fire" NHLers than you might think. Of course the amount they contribute might vary but they'll make it and play a decent number of NHL games. After all, pretty much every team need at least 25+ players during the course of a season.

These guys aren't 'sure-fire NHLers'.

Jensen is less than a 50/50 bet to be an NHL player. Loads of warts there. He would absolutely NOT be an NHLer in most organizations and in fact got a much bigger shot here last year than he deserved because we were so desperately thin on the wings. Looked lost most of the year in the AHL.

Gaunce maybe. I'd agree that he's very likely to be a low-event bottom-6 guy.

Shinkaruk has lots of upside but is another boom/bust proposition and hardly a sure thing. He's a small late #1 pick coming off a major injury.

Corrado had a somewhat disappointing season and I think he'll probably be a solid NHL defender down the road, but again is hardly a sure thing.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
These guys aren't 'sure-fire NHLers'.

Jensen is less than a 50/50 bet to be an NHL player. Loads of warts there. He would absolutely NOT be an NHLer in most organizations and in fact got a much bigger shot here last year than he deserved because we were so desperately thin on the wings. Looked lost most of the year in the AHL.

Gaunce maybe. I'd agree that he's very likely to be a low-event bottom-6 guy.

Shinkaruk has lots of upside but is another boom/bust proposition and hardly a sure thing. He's a small late #1 pick coming off a major injury.

Corrado had a somewhat disappointing season and I think he'll probably be a solid NHL defender down the road, but again is hardly a sure thing.

It depends on your definition of sure fire. If someone will be a regular in the NHL, then they pretty much are "sure fire" NHLer. Jensen and HS are/will be due to the fact they can put the puck in the net. That means they'll get multiple chances to prove themselves and given there. I.e. Take Grabner as an example, they are both similar in that they can put the puck in the net but need to work on their defensive games.

Corrado didn't really have a disappointing season. He didn't progress much as you might have hoped but he would be a regular on many teams right now. That makes him a sure fire NHLer. He would be the 7th dman if he needed to clear waivers (since he wouldn't clear and probably would out play Weber but probably not enough to be in the top 6).

Bo Jangles

Dec 25, 2014
White Rock, B.C.
Excited to see what Ronalds can do with the big club. Hopefully he plays with some speed and grit to replace Dorsett while he gone. Congrats to Ronalds on the call up!

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=750893&navid=DL|VAN|home

Vancouver, B.C. – Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have recalled forward Ronalds Kenins from the AHL Utica Comets.

Kenins, 23, has appeared in 36 games with the Comets this season recording 12 points (5-7-12) and 23 penalty minutes. He spent the 2013.14 season with the Zurich Lions collecting 25 points (8-17-25) and 40 penalty minutes in 39 games played.

On the international stage, Kenins represented Team Latvia at the 2014 Winter Olympics and four World Championships: 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. Kenins also played in the 2010 World Junior Championships as a member of the Latvian national team.

The 6’0â€, 209-pound forward was signed as a free agent by Vancouver July 30, 2013.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This kid on a line with Horvat and Kassian could do some real damage on the forecheck, big punishing hits

is there something about young players that the suggestion of "PUT ALL OF THEM ON THE SAME LINE" makes sense to anyone? I see it a lot and its always nuts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad