Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

ShyCheetah

Feb 22, 2003
Caprica City,Caprica
Visit site
I was meeh about this signing thinking I'd never see him but after seeing his short interview and those few clips mark me down as a fan. He takes pride in doing the dirty work and going into those dirty area's, likes to take the body and has the mass and skating ability to do it well and has a little bit of ability. Reminds me of Torres. Love it if he can approximate what Torres brought.

Shy

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I was meeh about this signing thinking I'd never see him but after seeing his short interview and those few clips mark me down as a fan. He takes pride in doing the dirty work and going into those dirty area's, likes to take the body and has the mass and skating ability to do it well and has a little bit of ability. Reminds me of Torres. Love it if he can approximate what Torres brought.

Shy

Not quite as big as Raffi and he doesn't have as good a shot as Raffi.

I liken Kenins to a slightly bigger, slightly slower Hansen.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Not quite as big as Raffi and he doesn't have as good a shot as Raffi.

I liken Kenins to a slightly bigger, slightly slower Hansen.

Hansen is taller and slightly heavier than Kenins, and I doubt he's gonna gain much more weight without it impacting his play negatively.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Has everyone forgot about this guy ? He was a standout at the Olympics. I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year

I've been thinking about him lately, since he'll be one of the new Comet guys, most of whom are much more obvious I guess:

Kenins
Gaunce
Fox
Shinkaruk
McEneny
Zalewski

OK, who did I forget?

Edit: That's a heck of a lot of left wingers in Kenins, Shinkaruk, and Zalewski . . . and maybe Fox as well.

Last edited:

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
hey guys, I thought I could add my two cents on Kenins aswell. I'm swiss and own a ZSC season ticket, so I saw Kenins play for my team the last three seasons.

I think he's a sleeper and could emerge as a good physical force in NA. He won't be the guy who scores a lot of goals and points, but he is a hard-working, physical guy, who gives his all in every shift. He grew to a fan favorite here by playing hard, doing the dirty work and fighting for every puck. He's a speedy guy who tries to spark the team if they get outplayed or just have a bad day. If he can use his frame and speed to up his offensive game, he could be an effective third line guy in VAN. HF ranked your prospect pool 26th in the league, so I think there's a chance that he cracks the team in 2015 if he does well in Utica.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I'll bet Benning was hitting up Marc Crawford for some info about Kenins during their interview a couple months back.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
hey guys, I thought I could add my two cents on Kenins aswell. I'm swiss and own a ZSC season ticket, so I saw Kenins play for my team the last three seasons.

I think he's a sleeper and could emerge as a good physical force in NA. He won't be the guy who scores a lot of goals and points, but he is a hard-working, physical guy, who gives his all in every shift. He grew to a fan favorite here by playing hard, doing the dirty work and fighting for every puck. He's a speedy guy who tries to spark the team if they get outplayed or just have a bad day. If he can use his frame and speed to up his offensive game, he could be an effective third line guy in VAN. HF ranked your prospect pool 26th in the league, so I think there's a chance that he cracks the team in 2015 if he does well in Utica.

Hey thanks for info :handclap:

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta

Thanks for the insight. Likely will be one of the first guys to get the callup if the need arises. Hopefully that energy and hard-work approach translates in North America.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hansen is taller and slightly heavier than Kenins, and I doubt he's gonna gain much more weight without it impacting his play negatively.

Presently listed on DB as : 6'4, 205 pounds.

What was he listed as last year?
Because apparently he's definitely bigger than Hansen now...

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Presently listed on DB as : 6'4, 205 pounds.

What was he listed as last year?
Because apparently he's definitely bigger than Hansen now...
I'm pretty sure that is an error.
Canucks website has Kenins at 6' 0", 205 pounds, which is what he looked like at the Olympics.
Elite Prospects and the Sochi Olympic websites say 6' even, as well.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

It's good to have this type of player who is ready to slot into the bottom 6 when the need arises.

King Crimson

Oct 6, 2011
2013/14 highlight pack:

Didn't know he could be so slick with the puck. That segment at ~1:50 is particularly nice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
2013/14 highlight pack:

Didn't know he could be so slick with the puck. That segment at ~1:50 is particularly nice.

What that video doesn't capture and what was immediately obvious at the prospect camps last summer is that this is a guy with a massive motor who absolutely works his bag off pressuring the puck in all 3 zones.

When you see his work ethic combined with skating ability it's hard not to see a guy with a very good chance of being an NHL player.

Surprising his production was so low last year in Switzerland, though ... but looking through the highlights it doesn't look like a single clip was from the PP.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What that video doesn't capture and what was immediately obvious at the prospect camps last summer is that this is a guy with a massive motor who absolutely works his bag off pressuring the puck in all 3 zones.

When you see his work ethic combined with skating ability it's hard not to see a guy with a very good chance of being an NHL player.

Surprising his production was so low last year in Switzerland, though ... but looking through the highlights it doesn't look like a single clip was from the PP.

Hopefully another Hansen.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
He looks like his hands are better than Hansen's. I never see Hansen stick handling like that in close. He also doesn't look as fast as Hansen.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I'm a huge Kenins fan. I see his downside as a 4th liner, his likely potential as a more skilled, but less speedy Hansen, and his upside as 2nd liner akin to Burrows(who passes more), before the last couple seasons ie a 20G, 30A guy(this is very unlikley, but that's what his upside is for me).

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009

it's possible for a player like that to benefit from playing on a smaller ice surface

if you forecheck hard, you're bound to get some turnovers. On a larger ice surface it would take you longer to get the puck to the net. Whereas, on an NHL ice surface it could work in his favour

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad