Ronalds ĶēniņÅ¡ -- Ronnies Hockeys -- The Mightiest of Latvians.

ManoWarrior

Jul 24, 2010
Ronny hockey is going to be an excellent middle six winger, I love everything about Kennis and Horvat plays better with him.

Yup. I hope he finishes the season on the team. Him, Horvat and Virtanen would be a pain of a 3rd line to play against.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sort of unfortunate the guy kind of fell off the map this year....was a revelation late last season in VanCity, but for some reason stopped punishing people with his relentless forecheck.....wondering if he was hurt more than we realize....guy was supremely effective when playing his game....hope he can rediscover it with Utica.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Sort of unfortunate the guy kind of fell off the map this year....was a revelation late last season in VanCity, but for some reason stopped punishing people with his relentless forecheck.....wondering if he was hurt more than we realize....guy was supremely effective when playing his game....hope he can rediscover it with Utica.
What made ĶēniņÅ¡ really special was that inexplicable chemistry with Horvat, though. I'm really curious if that's still a thing.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
What made ĶēniņÅ¡ really special was that inexplicable chemistry with Horvat, though. I'm really curious if that's still a thing.

Kenins is 24 and it's unlikely that he can play a top 6 role, which is where Horvat is going to be long term for the Canucks.

Kenins might be able to carve out a bottom 6 role going forward but he is a bubble guy to me so far and need to show more or do we want another big contract like Prust and Dorset on the bottom line?

I can see him either going back to Europe or getting caught in the numbers game on LW with the Canucks.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Kenins is 24 and it's unlikely that he can play a top 6 role, which is where Horvat is going to be long term for the Canucks.
Longer term, sure, but for the moment Horvat is still getting his feet wet in the NHL, hasn't been producing a whole lot early, but was surprisingly productive with Ronalds (for whatever reason) for a good stretch of last season. It wouldn't hurt to give them a shot at some point.

Kenins might be able to carve out a bottom 6 role going forward but he is a bubble guy to me so far and need to show more or do we want another big contract like Prust and Dorset on the bottom line?
He's got a pretty minimal NHL salary, though.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Longer term, sure, but for the moment Horvat is still getting his feet wet in the NHL, hasn't been producing a whole lot early, but was surprisingly productive with Ronalds (for whatever reason) for a good stretch of last season. It wouldn't hurt to give them a shot at some point.

Who does he replace though?

The thing is that long term some of the young guys are part of the plan but we can't give Hunter, Sven and Ronalds time on the LW when we have WD favorites Daniel, Burrows and Higgins already there.

He's got a pretty minimal NHL salary, though.

that was more of a shot against benning, if Ronalds has say a 15 goal season he might get rewarded with a sisba or dorsett type of "winning the lottery contract."

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. At some point, i don't think it would hurt to maybe revisit that and see if the chemistry is still there.

First things first though, Kenins needs to get healthy. And he needs to get back to doing what he brought early in his NHL stint last year. Started to get away from that a bit later on, and didn't really show enough this year in camp either.

What will get Kenins an opportunity in the NHL again, is that heavy forechecking presence game he came out the shoot with in his call-up last year (along with defensive responsibility and a dash of scoring ability).

That's how he has to differentiate himself though. There are a smattering of young guys all trying to make their case for some minutes on the LW in addition to the established Vets. Baertschi and Shinkaruk set themselves apart with skill and points production. Gaunce has his no-frills defensive reliability as his calling card to set him a bit apart. For Kenins, he's not going to match the skill and creativity of the former duo, nor is he likely to be the more consistent/reliable defensive presence over Gaunce. But none of the others can really offer the same sort of heatseeking missile and bullish physical quality. If Kenins can get back to that, he'll earn himself another good look at some point in the long season...that's a desired trait for this team in the conference we're in especially.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Yeah. At some point, i don't think it would hurt to maybe revisit that and see if the chemistry is still there.

Totally agree w/ reuniting the Kenins-Horvat-Hansen line at some point this season. Maybe if/when Radim Vrbata gets traded, or if an injury occurred, Kenins could get a call-up.

In the long term, I believe that Ronalds Kenins could be a good to great 3rd liner w/ similar point production as Jannik Hansen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->