Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
MTL doesn't even trust this guy enough to play game 1 of the playoffs. Overhyped?????

Overhyped by some perhaps but in the big picture I don't think many projected him to be much more than a 3rd pairing guy this year. I mean, he is just 21 years of age and was deployed as a 3rd pairing dman in the KHL last year. To think he'd suddenly be a legitimate top 4 guy in the NHL as soon as this year would be asinine. The fact that he's been able to provide solid enough play at the NHL level right off the bat is already promising.

That said it'd be foolish to not admit that Romanov's had his fair share of struggles lately. His decision making is not quite where it should be heading into the brutal Stanley Cup playoffs and that's why DD has probably chosen to ice Merrill and Kulak instead of him. And that's fine. I don't see him ever having the offensive game to be a top pairing dman in the NHL but with his intimidating physical tools I think he's still very much projecting to be a true top 4 dman a few years down the road.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Overhyped by some perhaps but in the big picture I don't think many projected him to be much more than a 3rd pairing guy this year. I mean, he is just 21 years of age and was deployed as a 3rd pairing dman in the KHL last year. To think he'd suddenly be a legitimate top 4 guy in the NHL as soon as this year would be asinine. The fact that he's been able to provide solid enough play at the NHL level right off the bat is already promising.

That said it'd be foolish to not admit that Romanov's had his fair share of struggles lately. His decision making is not quite where it should be heading into the brutal Stanley Cup playoffs and that's why DD has probably chosen to ice Merrill and Kulak instead of him. And that's fine. I don't see him ever having the offensive game to be a top pairing dman in the NHL but with his intimidating physical tools I think he's still very much projecting to be a true top 4 dman a few years down the road.

True. And it's not like he was removed from the starting lineup because of skill, the coach opted to go with veterans to instill the system that was lacking due to Covid schedule, he's bringing the skill into the system once its established.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Caufield makes sense. A generously listed 5'7" winger playing in the NHL playoffs after only a handful of NHL games under his belt makes sense. Small players just don't contribute come playoff time. see John Gaudreau.

Im assuming Kulak/Merrill is playing above Romanov, and if so, that's rather unfortunate.

Look back at the thread, he was DEFINITELY overhyped.

Yeah true I guess Marty St. Louis never did anything in the playoffs. Montreal probably should've sat Ken Dryden too in 71 since he only had 6 regular season games under his belt.

Reactions: Andrei79

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
No reason for him not to be playing in this series

Stupid decision by stupid people

Thank god we’ll still have a 45 year old, 1 handed Shea Weber out there intimidating on the blue line

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Well, Sandin is starting in the playoffs and Romanov is in the pressbox.
Thats the habs crap coaching and management, kk and Caufield also not starting. But i will say romanov has made some mistakes here and there but hes young and i still see him as a 2nd pairing dman

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I said at the beginning of the season that Romanov wouldn't crack the Leafs D-core and Habs fans refused to believe it lol.
And Sandin wouldn't crack the Habs D core in the playoffs either because that's just how stupid our management is. Bergevin wants to see the veterans he acquired play over the youngsters because he thinks it would otherwise make him look bad. He cannot compute that he looks worse not playing the better players even if they lack experience.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He still has a nice potential. Only 21 years old, so he can only get better. Should have been starting game 1 but that's because Habs management is bad.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I love the tweet I saw that said the Habs believe all their picks are busts.
They kind of all are. Hopefully Kotkaniemi/Romanov/Caufield have a say in this, but Habs drafting has, so far, got to be the worst in all the NHL.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread hasn't aged well (at the moment), it's four months old, no bump needed. Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad