Romanov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
The way he controls the puck is years beyond where I expected him to be. I really wanted to manage my expectations but can fairly say it, he is a future 1st pairing Dean. I'm used to see rookie Dmen handle pucks like grenades so seeing him play with such poise and maturity so early into his NHL career is unreal

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

ultraboy

Jul 7, 2006
509F4198-5D16-477C-B2B8-E5F608263326.png

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Also Galchenyuk for Domi for Anderson, Armia for free, Petry for a 2nd, Allen to form a premier goaltending tandem

He's not perfect but overall he's a premier trading GM in a very hard to operate in market and Habs fans give him far too much crap. Pearls before swine.
man, I wish my job allowed me to "learn on the job" (i.e. **** up repeatedly) for about ~6 years before finally getting it right :laugh:

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Have have some very promising dman prospects. I don't know if they have head scout responsible for it but watch out! Romanov has been playing like a third year vet and he drives the net like Subban used to. Wild horse, a stallion. No doubt they made him untouchable from the get go

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
That draft day thread was legendary. So many people eating crows today.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
man, I wish my job allowed me to "learn on the job" (i.e. **** up repeatedly) for about ~6 years before finally getting it right :laugh:

Yeah being a GM without the gift of hindsight is super cut and dry, you'd never see a real GM like Poile do something like trade Fiala for Granlund.

Let me guess not a Galchenyuk for Domi fan at the time it happened

Reactions: sharks9 and HabsQC

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Yeah being a GM without the gift of hindsight is super cut and dry, you'd never see a real GM like Poile do something like trade Fiala for Granlund.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Yes, all GMs make mistakes, but Bergevin made so many high profile mistakes in his first 6 years.
Let me guess not a Galchenyuk for Domi fan at the time it happened
I'd say I was "meh" on that one, and rightfully so, it turned out to be a nothing move that didn't really improve the team one way or another.

More moves I wasn't a fan of:
- (2016) Weber for Subban (still maintain we lost that one, you'll probably disagree)
- (2017) Karl Alzner signed to 5-year 23M contract, bought out 1 year later
- (2017) Sergachev traded for Drouin, horrible trade
- (2018) Carey Price signed to 8-year contract at 10.5M per year until 2026
- (2017) not resigning Alex Radulov for absolutely no reason
- (2017) not resigning Andrei Markov for absolutely no reason
- (2011) Galchenyuk, (2012) McCarron, (2013) Scherbak, (2014) Juulsen all first round busts under his tenure

So yeah he had some notable exceptions (Jeff Petry, Phil Danault) but for the most part he was a terrible GM for his first 6 years or so. Glad he's finally built a winning team but let's not pretend like he's some kind of GM mastermind. He was simply given a very long leash and he finally got it right in 2021.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Yes, all GMs make mistakes, but Bergevin made so many high profile mistakes in his first 6 years.
I'd say I was "meh" on that one, and rightfully so, it turned out to be a nothing move that didn't really improve the team one way or another.

- (2016) Weber for Subban (still maintain we lost that one, you'll probably disagree)
- (2011) Galchenyuk, (2012) McCarron, (2013) Scherbak, (2014) Juulsen all first round busts under his tenure

So yeah he had some notable exceptions (Jeff Petry, Phil Danault) but for the most part he was a terrible GM for his first 6 years or so. Glad he's finally built a winning team but let's not pretend like he's some kind of GM mastermind. He was simply given a very long leash and he finally got it right in 2021.

If that's your idea of a bad GM I'd love to see what a good GM looks like in your eyes

If you were rightfully meh on Domi I'm sure you wouldn't object to the Josh Anderson he was used to get going to Ottawa for Galchenyuk. Would vindicate your rightful meh
Weber for Subban - if you don't see this as a win there's no hope for you, I guess Bergevin could offer Weber to New Jersey for Subban and correct that mistake
Alzner - you mean Kyle Turris? Jack Johnson? Or David Backes? Or Alex Steen? Or Ryane Clowe? Or every single GM's one albatross signing they make?
Sergachev for Drouin - don't actually know how good Sergachev is without Herdman, McDonaugh and the rest of Tampa holding his hand. Drouin had bad injury luck but he's still a top 6 player with untapped potential
Price - overpaid but if you look at good GMs most overpay the faces of their franchise. Toews or Doughty ring a bell
Radulov - the same Radulov he got for free the prior year? The Radulov who if he broke down in his mid 30s after a year in the league you'd chalk up to a terrible signing no doubt
Markov hasn't done anything since leaving
His drafting sucked but he still ended up with Primeau, Romanov, Lehkonen, Mete, JK

Tldr you hold him to NHL 21 be a GM mode standards you don't hold other GMs too

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
If that's your idea of a bad GM I'd love to see what a good GM looks like in your eyes

If you were rightfully meh on Domi I'm sure you wouldn't object to the Josh Anderson he was used to get going to Ottawa for Galchenyuk. Would vindicate your rightful meh
Weber for Subban - if you don't see this as a win there's no hope for you, I guess Bergevin could offer Weber to New Jersey for Subban and correct that mistake
Alzner - you mean Kyle Turris? Jack Johnson? Or David Backes? Or Alex Steen? Or Ryane Clowe? Or every single GM's one albatross signing they make?
Sergachev for Drouin - don't actually know how good Sergachev is without Herdman, McDonaugh and the rest of Tampa holding his hand. Drouin had bad injury luck but he's still a top 6 player with untapped potential
Price - overpaid but if you look at good GMs most overpay the faces of their franchise. Toews or Doughty ring a bell
Radulov - the same Radulov he got for free the prior year? The Radulov who if he broke down in his mid 30s after a year in the league you'd chalk up to a terrible signing no doubt
Markov hasn't done anything since leaving
His drafting sucked but he still ended up with Primeau, Romanov, Lehkonen, Mete, JK

Tldr you hold him to NHL 21 be a GM mode standards you don't hold other GMs too
I'm not saying he built a bad team, I'm saying it took him 8 years of failure to do it. Not to mention he inherited a primo situation when he got the job (prime Price, prime Subban, prime Pacioretty, Markov, emerging youngsters Gallagher and Galchenyuk). So let's just hold off on the praise. He's an average GM who finally got lucky.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth

This can go both ways you know
- Getting Petry for a 2nd and 4th round picks
- Resigning Petry 2 times
- Weber > Subban
- Weise + Fleischmann for Danault + 2nd (Romanov)
- Galchenyuk for Domi
- Getting Armia for a cap dump
- Tatar + Suzuki + 2nd for Pacioretty
- Signing Toffoli at 4.5 aav
- Drafting Caufield, Romanov, Kotkaniemi, Norlinder ...

Reactions: sharks9 and HabsQC

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
This can go both ways you know
- Getting Petry for a 2nd and 4th round picks
- Resigning Petry 2 times
- Weber > Subban
- Weise + Fleischmann for Danault + 2nd (Romanov)
- Galchenyuk for Domi
- Getting Armia for a cap dump
- Tatar + Suzuki + 2nd for Pacioretty
- Signing Toffoli at 4.5 aav
- Drafting Caufield, Romanov, Kotkaniemi, Norlinder ...
Bolded all occurred in the last two years of his ten year tenure.

Are we forgetting that Habs were on their way to missing the playoffs for a third year in a row, if it weren't for COVID saving their asses? That they've won a total of one playoff series since 2015?

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Bergevin sucked at rhe beginning and he i good now, is that so hard to admit ? I know people want to justify shitting on him for several years, but the truth is he only goes for unique trade situations that can advantage him (like getting Armia, Domi or Anderson) and has the balls to pull the trigger (Weber, Anderson) despite the risk of being crucified in front of the Bell Centre.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think the story goes that the habs run a European combine, and Romanov showed very well in it.

There was alot of immediate hate at the pick because nobody knew who the hell he was, but its nothing new. I'm old enough to remember the thread when carey price was picked. There were alot of upset people who were reacting like Pierre mcguire did when the pick came in.

Anyways, I think Romanov will be a fan favourite because he just plays with so much charisma.

I'll wait until the honeymoon period is over before I start trying to figure out where he will eventually slot in. I've been projecting top 4, but he's turning my head so far.

Last edited:

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
T-34 sounds like a Star Wars weapon. Maybe Romanov should stop focusing on childish movies and more on hockey and he would be a better player

Hardly. The T-34 is one of the best known tanks of the Second World War. An excellent combination of reliability, mobility, armament when upgunned and armour protection with it's frontal sloping glacis that provoked the creation of the German Panther. He was just using an analogy. Romanov has that agility in his edgework, speed, physicality on the boards and crease, stick use and shooting to become a number one defenceman. It should not be a surprise despite the huge error from CSS in his ranking. His performances at the WJC's were proof.

He needs to use more cunning at the blue line to open up use of his slapper which is he is quite capable of. It's great news for Russia to add to Provocop, Sergachev and Samorukov going forward. And Zamula when he gets fit again.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I am one of the people who's prepared to eat crow. He perhaps has more upside than I realized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad