Injury Report: Roman Josi concussion (10/31 He's Back!)

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Downie will not fight back.

I agree. But will our players agree? It never seems to happen, or I may not be remembering it.

I often watch Weber, and it seems as if it is a "star" player, he will outplay them, but won't hit them hard. But again, I may be a little critical............

It seems as if leadership of the team is what makes this happen, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Downie will not fight back....

Right. Because that's totally a legitimate way to act.

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't the guys just play Downie hard and focus on winning the hockey game next time they play the Avs? It was an unfortunate and borderline play. The way you retaliate for something like that is to focus on winning the game, and then if an opportunity comes up you take it to Downie cleanly and legally. You don't let it get you off your game and make you focus on retaliation. If you do, guess what? You've done just what he wanted and he wins. He's a pest. His job is to get under the other team's skin.

We can argue it was a dirty hit (I fully believe it was) and that it should have led to a lengthy suspension (I fully believe it should have), but apparently the league office disagrees. Fine. It's over and done. Now play to win the games instead of focusing on one cheap shot artist.

Last edited by a moderator:

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
It's a larger issue of how "tough" we play. I think we have a reputation as a "soft" team, and I think more of our players get hurt because of it.
We can say "just win" and be exactly like we always have. Then why get the "tougher" players and say we have to get back to tough predator hockey.

There's a reason people like the "angry Weber" when he appears. He plays with the edge that we need.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Right. Because that's totally a legitimate way to act.

Hey, here's an idea. Why don't the guys just play Downie hard and focus on winning the hockey game next time they play the Avs? It was an unfortunate and borderline play. The way you retaliate for something like that is to focus on winning the game, and then if an opportunity comes up you take it to Downie cleanly and legally. You don't let it get you off your game and make you focus on retaliation. If you do, guess what? You've done just what he wanted and he wins. He's a pest. His job is to get under the other team's skin.

We can argue it was a dirty hit (I fully believe it was) and that it should have led to a lengthy suspension (I fully believe it should have), but apparently the league office disagrees. Fine. It's over and done. Now play to win the games instead of focusing on one cheap shot artist.
No I believe in an eye for an eye. You throw a hard hit on my star, I throw a harder hit on your star and let the chips fall were they may. That's how you handle a cheapshot artist won't answer the bell, you make others pay.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Welcome to adversity. How this team reacts will define this season.

Pretty much this. Next game is home against the Wild; if we can't get up and play a respectable game against Suter & Co., I'll start worrying. Time for Mr. Jones to make his Calder case if we're going to have a legitimate chance of competing this season:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
How you handle Colorado and Roy the next time we play them.

Either way, road or home, you find two of the biggest nastiest fighters in the AHL and acquire them. ECHL would be fine too. At home, first time Downie hits the ice, you send one out to kick his butt. If he chooses to skate away, first goon says, that's fine, you just made it open season on all your star players. Next shift, send goon number 2 out and let him play havoc with their stars on the ice. Hit them and hit them often. Put goon 1 out again and let him do the same thing, obliterate their star players on the ice. Legally of course. Downie is then in a tight spot, either fight or have his teammates ticked off at him for starting this war.

On the road, start with a goon and see how Roy and his little grin take it. If he chooses not to put Downie out on the ice, it's open season on their star players.

Downie and Roy both would have the chance to decide how they want this to play out. If Downie answers the bell, great, fight, get it over with and move on. If he decides to skate away or Roy chooses not to answer, then it's open season. They started with the illegal hit, we are saying it's not ok, your move.

Like Trig said, an eye for an eye.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't even think you need a goon to do it, we can do it with Gaustad, Nystrom, Hendricks and Clune. Downie isn't a great fighter.

...and the Avalanche will just let Downie get jumped by himself? No, the Predators would be answering to Patrick Bordeleau, first and foremost, and then the likes of McLeod, Wilson, etc. with Downie in the mix. That's just the way it works. The guy suggesting calling up some real enforcers is on the money.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
How you handle Colorado and Roy the next time we play them.

Either way, road or home, you find two of the biggest nastiest fighters in the AHL and acquire them. ECHL would be fine too. At home, first time Downie hits the ice, you send one out to kick his butt. If he chooses to skate away, first goon says, that's fine, you just made it open season on all your star players. Next shift, send goon number 2 out and let him play havoc with their stars on the ice. Hit them and hit them often. Put goon 1 out again and let him do the same thing, obliterate their star players on the ice. Legally of course. Downie is then in a tight spot, either fight or have his teammates ticked off at him for starting this war.

On the road, start with a goon and see how Roy and his little grin take it. If he chooses not to put Downie out on the ice, it's open season on their star players.

Downie and Roy both would have the chance to decide how they want this to play out. If Downie answers the bell, great, fight, get it over with and move on. If he decides to skate away or Roy chooses not to answer, then it's open season. They started with the illegal hit, we are saying it's not ok, your move.

Like Trig said, an eye for an eye.

You know, I usually find this path of gamesmanship silly, but I am buying it this time. Not because I think Downie's hit was SO awful, and not just because Josi is out, but because I think that our team needs something to galvanize it. We're playing okay, the effort is definitely there, but anything, I do mean anything, that will speed up the gelling process is a win in my book.

Think of Weber's huge hit on the Blues' forward on that first shift, just seconds after the first tv timeout ovation. Set the tone for the rest of our season.

Personally, I like where our team/season is headed, I just think we need to get there a bit sooner rather than later, and solidifying the boys with a good old fashioned rumble might be just the thing.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
...and the Avalanche will just let Downie get jumped by himself? No, the Predators would be answering to Patrick Bordeleau, first and foremost, and then the likes of McLeod, Wilson, etc. with Downie in the mix. That's just the way it works. The guy suggesting calling up some real enforcers is on the money.
Like they handled Getzlaf?

Or like McLeod handled Clune last time?

If I'm Nashville I want this to turn into a slug fest we have a depth of the players for that.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
You know, I usually find this path of gamesmanship silly, but I am buying it this time. Not because I think Downie's hit was SO awful, and not just because Josi is out, but because I think that our team needs something to galvanize it. We're playing okay, the effort is definitely there, but anything, I do mean anything, that will speed up the gelling process is a win in my book.

Think of Weber's huge hit on the Blues' forward on that first shift, just seconds after the first tv timeout ovation. Set the tone for the rest of our season.

Personally, I like where our team/season is headed, I just think we need to get there a bit sooner rather than later, and solidifying the boys with a good old fashioned rumble might be just the thing.

And believe me, I'm not a huge proponent of this either but when a goon takes out one of your better players and the other teams coach has a smirk on his face all gloves come off and I agree with you in the sentiment that this team needs some galvanizing. Sometimes you just have to get mean....lol.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
question is, would Trotz do it?

I don't think he will.

We do have a player with this mentality though in Gaustad. He's not the best fighter but he can be physical, and he doesn't seem to care.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, I think he would. His primary concern is winning hockey games, but I also remember the Flames brawl. I think there was one in San Jose, too where he and the opposing coach were jawing and there was something there that showed he wasn't one to shy away.

But, the margin of error for this team is razor thin. That's why the "taking numbers" quotes have been so controversial. I think he has to be a bit more proactive this season, and this would be a great way to begin.

JR303

Feb 28, 2008
And believe me, I'm not a huge proponent of this either but when a goon takes out one of your better players and the other teams coach has a smirk on his face all gloves come off and I agree with you in the sentiment that this team needs some galvanizing. Sometimes you just have to get mean....lol.

Yup, I think we need a full season of Angry Weber personally. He hasn't had the same fire since Suter split. Understandably.

I think a less conservative, more assertive Weber would be the perfect on the job training seminar for Jones.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I just happened to look up the Calgary fiasco a few days a go. We need another one of these to happen with the Avs. Have a good old fashion avs/wings rivalry type feel.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN

this is a joke. in no way am i afraid to put Nystrom, Goose, Hendricks, and Clune out there with Mcleod, Boredelau and these others you mentioned. Downie would get it handed to him by Clune, so can McLeod (again...), and as well Nystrom can swing with Bordeleau and I'd take Hendricks to win one too.

My point is, no one on this Avs roster scares any Predator and nor should they. This is where a Stortini call up comes in play for the goon references but anyway I say yes to a potenital brawl with Colorado. Roy has already made it clear that he's an arrogant ***hole that doesn't care to be blatantly obvious about it. If he doesn't want more cheap shots handed out on Colorado's prized possession MacKinnon than he needs to wipe the smirk off his face after a cheap shot to one of our guys. If they want a division rivalry then we'll give it back and Mac, Landeskog and Duchene should all put extra padding on their knees and keep their head up. The Goose is going hunting and so should the rest of the millions we spent on #24 and #26.

“I take issue with that,” Predators forward Paul Gaustad said. “He’s one of those players who looks for the crowd to cheer him on or something like that. I don’t know … it was a dumb hit and we know who did it. We play these guys several times this year.”

^^Goose in Tennessean

Last edited:

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I think in no way should our players specifically seek out players against whom to take runs. They should act within reason at all times, otherwise the risk of harming our team going forward is greater than it should be (i.e. suspensions, further action taken causing injuries to other key players). Respond, but keep your head in doing so.

Our response should be proportional. So no, Cullen should not run MacKinnon, as was given as an example (though I think that example was tongue-in-cheek). Downie himself should be given absolutely no quarter, though. He has a history of showing that his main objective at times, and, in my opinion, far too often, is to pinpoint vulnerability and exploit it with dangerous actions. This is unacceptable and unnecessarily increases the risks already inherent in the game of hockey.

Play the game, and make sure that certain players know they are not being given any wiggle room. Attempt to make Downie answer for his transgression (which was done in the game multiple times before being stopped quickly by officials). If he won't drop the gloves, lay him out any chance you get without stooping to his level. Do not simply wait for him to have his head down, and then leap into a hit.

Patrick Roy is one of my all-time favor players, but he has a long history of losing his temper. His actions in the NHL are well-known; perhaps less well-known is his suspension during his coaching tenure in the QMJHL for sending his son to fight an unwilling opponent during a brawl. I would not put it past this guy to knowingly send players on to the ice to get some sort of revenge for actions he doesn't like. If we start purposefully seeking out players for retaliation it could ultimately hurt our team more than hurt it.

Take Downie to task in any way possible shy of simply destroying him for the sake of destroying him (we don't need a repeat of Bertuzzi). If Bordeleau, McLeod, Wilson et al take offense, so be it. Our guys can handle themselves.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Based on Goose's comments, it sounds like we "took some numbers again." So there's that at least.

Several attempts were made to make the single player guilty here answer for his actions. Weber and Bourque immediately responded. Clune was put on the ice at the start of the second when Downie was also shifted, and nothing at all happened. Bartley buried Downie in the net, and Nystrom got a punch or two in before the officials stepped in.

The game after which Trotz made his remarks about taking down numbers, now commonly used in sarcastic or almost spiteful statements, also saw its share of fighting, so it has continually baffled me why people bring it up as if we ran away with our tails between our legs.

We are two games in, and this happened in our most recent of the two. Let's see how the team gels together in response before we assume nothing is going to happen, shall we?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00