Post-Game Talk: Roller coaster ride continues: Malkin-less Pens beat Rangers 5-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It was exactly why, when many Pens fans everywhere wanted Fleury gone, I was calling for Meloche to go first (and if Fleury still struggled, then he'd go). Could you imagine if they actually had a proper goalie coach for Fleury from the start? He could've been a perennial Vezina candidate.

Could you imagine if they had a COACH period

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
8 shots against last 2 periods. Love that.

Especially since that 1st period bombardment, Sully's message seems to be more... passing along than with MJ to say the least. My fav. thing would be Pens creeping back in a what would have been a losing game before or just ****ing staying ahead under him.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm curious as to how Simon didn't get drafted when he was first eligible.

There aren't any big red flags in his game that usually crop up in cases like that. He's not big, but he's not tiny either and he's not a poor skater or a kid with attitude problems and his work ethic and attention to detail are fine. He wasn't buried in the system of a joke of a team like Panarin.

I'm glad that the Pens could end up benefitting from it, but it's still strange.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

There aren't any big red flags in his game that usually crop up in cases like that. He's not big, but he's not tiny either and he's not a poor skater or a kid with attitude problems and his work ethic and attention to detail are fine. He wasn't buried in the system of a joke of a team like Panarin.

I'm glad that the Pens could end up benefitting from it, but it's still strange.

5'11, 176. I'm guessing that's a big part of it.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yep Sheary can definitely skate and seems to know when to get in the right spot.

Still don't think he has enough strength to be ba regular NHLer though.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby's 5'11". And a little time in the gym/with Phil will get him to at least 190 pretty fast

First, I'm not excusing the biases of NHL managers, just pointing out they exist. Second, Simon and Crosby have some pretty stark differences beyond their height. Third, not saying I wouldn't have drafted him, merely offering up a possible reason.

I'd guess that if you look at a list of successful UDFAs, many would be considered undersized.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Great win today. A rare afternoon win

Prior to this game Ogre said we were 4-3 in OT so that would actually make it 5-3 for this season if 'm not mistaken.

I think we sucked at those before though.

EDIT:vabm looked it up below. ;)

Last edited:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Strong showing at the U-18 wjcs too. Good question. Though he doesn't seem to have made the next year's u-20 wjc squad.

Icedcapp makes note of size, which explains why he wouldn't be a top 2 rounder, but the not-the-biggest-guy-but-has-skill types tend to get gobbled up in the rounds after that. Tiny guys like Johnson or Sheary still slip through, but Simon is below average sized, not small.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Just for the record. They're decent in afternoon games this season as far as winning goes. I think it's that the games suck so people think they lost.

SUN JAN 17, 2016 HURRICANES-PENGUINS 3:00 PM FINAL CAR (0) - PIT (5)
SAT JAN 23, 2016 CANUCKS-PENGUINS 12:30 PM FINAL VAN (4) - PIT (5)
SAT FEB 20, 2016 LIGHTNING-PENGUINS 12:30 PM FINAL TBL (4) - PIT (2)
SUN FEB 21, 2016 PENGUINS-SABRES 12:30 PM FINAL PIT (4) - BUF (3)
SAT FEB 27, 2016 JETS-PENGUINS 3:00 PM FINAL WPG (1) - PIT (4)
SAT MAR 5, 2016 FLAMES-PENGUINS 3:00 PM FINAL CGY (4) - PIT (2)

Weird times.

SAT DEC 5, 2015 PENGUINS-KINGS 4:00 PM FINAL PIT (3) - LAK (5)
SUN MAR 6, 2016 PENGUINS-DEVILS 5:00 PM FINAL PIT (6) - NJD (1)

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Sullivan needs to stop with Kunitz on the 1st line. Just play Hagelin there, guy is good but unfortunately he´s stuck with Bonino and Kessel now. A win-win. And maybe putting all of the whipping boys into one line can magically turn into something. Jesus Christ, Kunitz-Bonino-Kessel... sucks, but what else can you do now without Geno? :D

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sullivan needs to stop with Kunitz on the 1st line. Just play Hagelin there, guy is good but unfortunately he´s stuck with Bonino and Kessel now. A win-win. And maybe putting all of the whipping boys into one line can magically turn into something. Jesus Christ, Kunitz-Bonino-Kessel... sucks, but what else can you do now without Geno? :D

I think the problem there is that trio strikes me as perhaps the worst combination we could cobbled together from any 3 of the pieces that dressed today.

Kunitz chops at every puck, Bonino and Kessel are too low effort and soft to play on the wall and Bonino's so slow that you need to minimize his touches in the neutral zone. I don't know what to do with Kessel to get him going, but I'm fairly certain Bonino+Kunitz is the worst possible thing we could try.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Hagelin - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kuhnhakl- Cullen - Kessel
Kunitz - Bonino - Sheary
Wilson/Simon- Fehr - Rust

Bennett in for Kuhnhakl when/if he's ready.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'd try Fehr as center, Hagelin/Wilson/maybe eventually Simon if he keeps it up on left with Kessel. Fehr is fast enough, defensively aware and gritty enough to work. The other wingers are mixes of grit, skill and speed that I think would mesh well with Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad