Roll Call: Do you want to trade Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
That's actually a good comparison for how Letang is on the powerplay if you remember Zubov here; a guy not willing/able to putting a one-timer on net.

I think Zubov was more unwilling, Letang is more unable to put that one timer on net. Plus Zubov was still very good at setting up plays. Letang's problem is he's rather inaccurate in his passing when on the PP. I almost never see him get the puck in somebody's 'wheelhouse', and that's a problem because at this level every fraction of an inch matters on special teams.

Mario wasn't a big fan of Zubov, so he was dumped. If Crosby or Malkin didn't like Letang, we'd probably see the same thing happen. But our current superstars don't seem to dislike anyone, even from a hockey standpoint, which can be both honorable and a problem.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think Zubov was more unwilling, Letang is more unable to put that one timer on net. Plus Zubov was still very good at setting up plays. Letang's problem is he's rather inaccurate in his passing when on the PP. I almost never see him get the puck in somebody's 'wheelhouse', and that's a problem because at this level every fraction of an inch matters on special teams.

Mario wasn't a big fan of Zubov, so he was dumped. If Crosby or Malkin didn't like Letang, we'd probably see the same thing happen. But our current superstars don't seem to dislike anyone, even from a hockey standpoint, which can be both honorable and a problem.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. Seeing somebody like Phaneuf get 7x7 makes Letang look less overpaid, but he's certainly still a flawed player.

zidell*

Absolutely. As long as the dude is putting up 30 goals a year...I dig him.

See, this is what is so brain-dead about the HF crowd. Dupuis average 20 goal/yr for his last 4 years. So people are whining about needing another wing so that get get 10 goals/year, 1 extra goal every 8 games. But game won't get the extra 10 anyway, because he won't get the pp time.

The whining is all the more bizarre because Dupuis scores virtually all of his at even strength.The last full season, 2011 Dupuis had 25 even strength goals. How many did the great James Neal have? 22. Last year Dupuis had 18. Neal had 12!. And before anyone says it, who gives a rats behind whether he is sucking off Crosby or not. All that matters is the puck goes in the net.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've actually changed my mind on this.

His 7.whatever price tag will be what he's worth once the cap rises and Subban is getting close to 9 million.

7 will be the new 5.5 in a few years so his contract isn't as outlandish as we once thought.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-without-kris-letang?search_query=kris letang

Not a trade rumor, but i thought it was a good article on Letang.

Hard to disagree with much.

Thing is that if Letang became more cognizant of when to take risks and when not to, nobody would consider trading him, as we are enormously dynamic going forward when he plays well and within himself. There is just very little evidence that he is progressing towards finding this balance.

With our kind of team, we simply don't need our nr.1 D-man to ride a fine line between awesome and awful. He does not have to be a continuous offensive catalyst, and particularly not if it comes at the expense of defensive solidity.... and with a 7.25 cap hit.

Ultimately, Shero probably has to be blown away by an offer or we have to tank in the playoffs before something as drastic as trading Letang is genuinely considered. Flip-side is that I don't think our defense going forward should have both Letang and Niskanen, and with the season Nisky is having, it becomes very much a relative value discussion once Shero learns what it would take to re-sign Nisky long term.

I'll maintain that Nisky at half price from Letang is simply better value. Even more so consider the asset management aspect where you retain Niskanen as an asset and get a (no doubt) significant return on Letang.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
At this point, seeing him being paid 7 million and not really bringing anything to the table apart from being a good skater, I would almost just be happy too see his contract of the books.. Tired of seeing a 7 million dollar player make the same mistakes as a rookie / 6 D man....

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Despite my username, I'm very critical of Letang. I certainly see the arguments in favor of trading him. Mainly, we have a wealth of riches on D with several capable guys on very cap-friendly contracts. It can certainly be said that Letang - even when at his best - is a luxury rather than a need. With that said, I think many of us overlook Letang's age relative to other star dmen. If Letang were able to put it all together and hit his prime in the next few seasons, he'll have a good shot at being called one of the game's best - if not the best - defensemen. He could very well prove to be that one ingredient that turns us from a threat into an unstoppable force...assuming our other stars are playing at their best, as well. At this point, my biggest concern about Letang isn't whether he puts it all together, it's whether the kid can stay healthy. Personally, I still wouldn't deal Letang for anything but an unequivocal overpayment, which seems unlikely given his current (hopefully temporarily) deflated value. Just my $0.02.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-without-kris-letang?search_query=kris letang

Not a trade rumor, but i thought it was a good article on Letang.

Pretty damn good read, this is, with lots of valid and well reasoned points. I would not blink if Letang was traded for world class wingers for top-6 as Letang feels simply like win-more on regular season, but given the amount of mistakes he makes on the defensive end is staggering and that will burn us badly in the playoffs.

Of course the counterpoint is also true: in some other team he might get appropriate coaching and actually become the Monster Letang, winning multiple Norrises and banging in 60+ points per season for the next 10 years.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
See, this is what is so brain-dead about the HF crowd. Dupuis average 20 goal/yr for his last 4 years. So people are whining about needing another wing so that get get 10 goals/year, 1 extra goal every 8 games. But game won't get the extra 10 anyway, because he won't get the pp time.

The whining is all the more bizarre because Dupuis scores virtually all of his at even strength.The last full season, 2011 Dupuis had 25 even strength goals. How many did the great James Neal have? 22. Last year Dupuis had 18. Neal had 12!. And before anyone says it, who gives a rats behind whether he is sucking off Crosby or not. All that matters is the puck goes in the net.

Why should we be limiting Crosby's right-wing goal production to 20, though? That doesn't make any sense. You and I could pot 20 next to Sid, doesn't mean it's a good idea. And I can't even skate!

Besides, dude is 34 and now he has a bum knee. That contract is going to get progressively Shrek-like ugly. It was a terrible decision to retain him at that ridiculous price, and now the hockey gods have punished us because we're stuck with him.

Dupuis has more missed goals than goals since entering the league. Playing next to Crosby, you BETTER score 20. But if you're playing first line next to Crosby, you should be scoring more. It's really that simple.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've actually changed my mind on this.

His 7.whatever price tag will be what he's worth once the cap rises and Subban is getting close to 9 million.

7 will be the new 5.5 in a few years so his contract isn't as outlandish as we once thought.

I'm glad to see that there is still some logic around here, in what seems to be such an emotional discussion. You are right: people are complaining about what "Letang is getting paid" even though his extension hasn't kicked in yet and using that as justification for why we should move him :laugh:

Indeed, on TSN a little while ago, they mentioned that some experts are projecting the cap to be $80 million within 3 years, and $90 million within 5 years. Beyond this season, Letang and Malkin are both signed for 8 years, Sid signed for 11 years, and Neal for 4. I think people here on the whole are ungrateful and far too negative/unrealistic in their perspective of this team's roster and payroll issues going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad