Roll Call: Do you want to trade Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
i was being facetious. i have no problem with anything he's been accused of - from the restaurant bills to the stacks of money, in my opinion, nothing he's done is outlandish enough, even in the aggregate to warrant the venom being thrown his way.

but also it's far better to shave an idea into your head than your own name, don't you think? at least he has that going for him.

Correct.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I get what you mean, but...

Neal seems like a ****** canoe and Maatta acted like a total dick to the son of my wife's friend when he was in Pgh for a tournament.

Not all of the Pens are great guys either.

Oh, I'm not saying they are. I have heard good things about Neal in public, but yeah, he can come across a bit douchey. Kennedy was a ******. Malone was a ******. Not everyone can be like Max Talbot, or Sid, or even Staal. When those guys were out, by all accounts I've heard, they were always gracious and very nice, and conducted themselves well. Sid wouldn't even take drinks given to him by bar owners when he was underaged in Pittsburgh. My best friend in college, his wife was a server at an Olive Garden Staal ate at before every game. She couldn't conjure up one mean thing to say about him.

Now you have Malone who ran rampant through the Southside in his early years here, and many will tell you he's just a flat out ********. The stories of Kennedy are pretty well known here too, about how he'd walk around with a posse and wouldn't tip the wait staff in any restaurant he went to, how he'd walk out on bills, and how he would just walk up to front of lines and things like that.

Like I said, I don't have to love the guy personally. I'm not 10 years old, and I'm not looking up to him. I just think in the case of Kane, you are not just a hockey player...he's effectively the face of a franchise there. Just have enough maturity to have a little discretion and think about how what you do may be conceived, whether the conception is right or wrong, and whether what you're doing is harmless or not. Not saying he should be nailed to a cross, but it's just enough to make you roll your eyes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh, I'm not saying they are. I have heard good things about Neal in public, but yeah, he can come across a bit douchey. Kennedy was a ******. Malone was a ******. Not everyone can be like Max Talbot, or Sid, or even Staal. When those guys were out, by all accounts I've heard, they were always gracious and very nice, and conducted themselves well. Sid wouldn't even take drinks given to him by bar owners when he was underaged in Pittsburgh. My best friend in college, his wife was a server at an Olive Garden Staal ate at before every game. She couldn't conjure up one mean thing to say about him.

Now you have Malone who ran rampant through the Southside in his early years here, and many will tell you he's just a flat out ********. The stories of Kennedy are pretty well known here too, about how he'd walk around with a posse and wouldn't tip the wait staff in any restaurant he went to, how he'd walk out on bills, and how he would just walk up to front of lines and things like that.

Like I said, I don't have to love the guy personally. I'm not 10 years old, and I'm not looking up to him. I just think in the case of Kane, you are not just a hockey player...he's effectively the face of a franchise there. Just have enough maturity to have a little discretion and think about how what you do may be conceived, whether the conception is right or wrong, and whether what you're doing is harmless or not. Not saying he should be nailed to a cross, but it's just enough to make you roll your eyes.

I'd be more worried if Kane was a locker room cancer or difficult to coach, but I haven't read that at all. If he is a bit douchey like Neal, I'm not worried about it.

I mean, I root for Roth and he is the biggest D-bag sports star Pgh has had since Jagr.

darkbrew*

I'd be more worried if Kane was a locker room cancer or difficult to coach, but I haven't read that at all. If he is a bit douchey like Neal, I'm not worried about it.

I mean, I root for Roth and he is the biggest D-bag sports star Pgh has had since Jagr.

Neal just seems like a Jock type. Nothing wrong with that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Absolutely. As long as the dude is putting up 30 goals a year...I dig him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
At the end of the day, they're at the bottom of the players we should be pondering trading...all three of them.

Orpik, Niskanen should be the first to go, but if we have to, I'd rather get an impact guy for Letang or Martin before we start diving into the future (again).

I agree that i would look to trade an Orpik or Niskanen first (I have been the biggest proponent of this), but I would have ZERO issues trading one of our top young D prospects for a guy like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, Jacob Silfverberg, or someone at that level. As long as we're trading a top young player for another top young player, I have zero problem with that. I only have a problem with the "rental" trades (i.e. Morrow for Morrow).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I agree that i would look to trade an Orpik or Niskanen first (I have been the biggest proponent of this), but I would have ZERO issues trading one of our top young D prospects for a guy like Charlie Coyle, Nino Niederreiter, Jacob Silfverberg, or someone at that level. As long as we're trading a top young player for another top young player, I have zero problem with that. I only have a problem with the "rental" trades (i.e. Morrow for Morrow).

A Coyle, a Niederreiter, a Silfverberg, all come with a warning that they may be extremely badly mishandled by our coach.

I don't want this team trading any of its youth before we switch coaches (at least), or switch regimes completely.

We don't know what we have yet in some of these young D, and even some of our young wingers, because of Disco.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
A Coyle, a Niederreiter, a Silfverberg, all come with a warning that they may be extremely badly mishandled by our coach.

I don't want this team trading any of its youth before we switch coaches (at least), or switch regimes completely.

We don't know what we have yet in some of these young D, and even some of our young wingers, because of Disco.

But we know we have an abundance of higher end talent on D and a lack up front. Why would we have to change coaches before we attempt to make it slightly less one-sided?

CraigAdamsnumber1fan*

His game is too high risk for me. He makes some really boneheaded pinches. We don't necessarily need a player like him. We just need him to get the puck to our forwards and let them do the rest.

Not sure if you guys have played NHL 14. But, Letang is the guy who rushes up the ice as a defenseman and plays as a forward. I'm his D partner and when he gets burned, I'm hung out to dry and everyone looks at me when the other team scores. However, in this case everyone knows Letang's at fault. :laugh:

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
His game is too high risk for me. He makes some really boneheaded pinches. We don't necessarily need a player like him. We just need him to get the puck to our forwards and let them do the rest.

This is what it boils down to for me as well. He is too high risk on this specific team for my liking. I think wherever he goes his contract is going to be an overpayment, not by much, but that's a big contract.

Strike 1: Too high risk
Strike 2: Too much money
Strike 3: Can't QB the PP

Think he's quite a good player, I just believe that his presence on the team hinders us from being as good as we could be without him.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Not sure if you guys have played NHL 14. But, Letang is the guy who rushes up the ice as a defenseman and plays as a forward. I'm his D partner and when he gets burned, I'm hung out to dry and everyone looks at me when the other team scores. However, in this case everyone knows Letang's at fault. :laugh:

Whenever I'm playing as Letang and the puck comes to me at the point with any pressure, he bobbles the puck and then I can't get it to pass or shoot. Pretty accurate.

psu711

Jan 29, 2007
Allentown
I think we should trade him.

I agree with a lot of the thing noted in this thread.
He is an amazing talent, but I just dont think his talent translates to where it matters most... The back of the cage and the standings.

Paul Coffey trade....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad