Roll Call: Do you want to trade Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
No, I don't, but I also wouldn't rule it out.

Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Maatta, Despres are the only people I don't even entertain a discussion on.

Oh, and Joe Vitale.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Wanting is the wrong word. He's definitely not in the category of Sid and Geno in terms of tradeability for me. Depends on the return.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I would listen to offers but would not actively seek to trade him.

If someone calls you and they mention names like Hall, Eberle, Kane, etc then you should definitely listen.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Post here for posterity.

I'm against it.

1. Well then you know I'm for it.

2. Shero won't violate his promise. There are some things more important than winning cups.

3. I think the thread title is a straw man. It's not a question of whether one should WANT to trade Letang. The question is whether one should listen. IMO, the only four people on this team for whom I'm not listening are Sid, Geno, Neal, and Maatta (I'd even 'listen' for Neal and Maatta, but nobody is going to pay the price). If I can get Sid's Neal+ for Letang, then I'm not hanging up the phone. But, either way, it's not as simple as saying 'o'k, who wants to trade Letang'. Me, I don't see what the point is to having all those defensemen on entry level and controlled deals if you don't plan to play them when they're ready.

EDIT: Forgot Vitale on the no touch list. Don't want to get banned by Darth.

EDIT II: Forgot Despres. Cappy weeps.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do not WANT to.

But situationally speaking - we have A LOT of good defenders ready to step in, or so it seems. So what do we do? I expect a vet defender to be moved. Bring in the low salary - move the vet who can bring us a decent fair return.

I don't WANT to trade Letang, but I explore that option just to see what happens.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
Not really. Priorities should be dealing Orpik/Niskanen/Engo before Tanger, and seeing if we can fill the holes in the team that way first. But if that's what it takes to get a legit RW for Sid then I wouldn't be too broken up about it seeing as how awesome our young defense is.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I'm not packing his bags, but I'm not making him off limits in talks. If someone calls and makes some sweetheart offer, that's in line with win now AND some future pieces (prospects and/or picks), then I'm packing his bags.

I don't just want to move him for the sake of moving him.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I do not WANT to.

But situationally speaking - we have A LOT of good defenders ready to step in, or so it seems. So what do we do? I expect a vet defender to be moved. Bring in the low salary - move the vet who can bring us a decent fair return.

I don't WANT to trade Letang, but I explore that option just to see what happens.

I'd say to other GM's that I'll listen on Letang, Martin, Orpik, and Niskanen.

I'm sure he's listening on Despres and Bortuzzo, although he shouldn't be.

Scuds was just signed and won't be moved. Shouldn't be either, as he'll be a valuable tutor for some of these young guys.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Not really. Priorities should be dealing Orpik/Niskanen/Engo before Tanger, and seeing if we can fill the holes in the team that way first. But if that's what it takes to get a legit RW for Sid then I wouldn't be too broken up about it seeing as how awesome our young defense is.

Exactly as I see it.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I would deal Martin before Letang. I just feel we have multiple D-men that have similar skills to what Martin brings (Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, etc).

When Letang was on his game last year he was a difference maker and one of the best Dmen in the NHL minus the PP. I'd rather give him a chance to get his game back like we did Martin and deal Martin since his skills are redundant with all of these guys.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't say no, but they would have to really overpay with a deal that included a solid, long-term RW for Crosby or LW for Malkin.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It would depend on what the return was. I don't CATEGORICALLY think Letang should be traded but if he could bring back a proven, legit star winger that could play on the first line, I would certainly consider it. Beau Bennett has promise, sure, but what he will be one day is a big question mark compared to what someone like Jordan Eberle is already.

I think at this point Orpik is our most expendable defenseman with value, followed by Niskanen, but that's only based on how well Nisky's been playing for us lately. One or the other will probably walk for nothing in the offseason and I'd rather not let both go without getting anything back.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
It would depend on what the return was. I don't CATEGORICALLY think Letang should be traded but if he could bring back a proven, legit star winger that could play on the first line, I would certainly consider it. Beau Bennett has promise, sure, but what he will be one day is a big question mark compared to what someone like Jordan Eberle is already.

I'm not sold on Eberle. He has some sick mitts and displayed them in his first year but man are Oilers fans ragging on him this year for being a lazy ass. Lazy and Crosby don't fit in the same sentence let alone the same line. He needs someone more high energy with intensity to play with unless he lights a fire under Eberle's ass.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
I would deal Martin before Letang. I just feel we have multiple D-men that have similar skills to what Martin brings (Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, etc).

When Letang was on his game last year he was a difference maker and one of the best Dmen in the NHL minus the PP. I'd rather give him a chance to get his game back like we did Martin and deal Martin since his skills are redundant with all of these guys.

If Fleury is our long term goalie, I think I'd rather have Martin. For how much Letang brings offensively, he also makes enough mistakes, via turnovers or bone-headed plays, that Fleury gets put in tough spots to make saves. If we're in it with Flower for the long haul, I want him to get rattled during the games as least as possible. Even if a Letang turnover doesn't turn into a goal, that's still one more save Fleury has to make/think about. I see both sides though, it would depend on the return really for me.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
If you can get a player like eberle back then yes everyday of the week
This is where I'm at right now. Don't particularly want to move Letang, but I don't view him as indispensable anymore either. Eberle+ or something like that and it's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad