Roll Call: Do you want to trade Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
I've actually changed my mind on this.

His 7.whatever price tag will be what he's worth once the cap rises and Subban is getting close to 9 million.

7 will be the new 5.5 in a few years so his contract isn't as outlandish as we once thought.

I'm glad to see that there is still some logic around here, in what seems to be such an emotional discussion. You are right: people are complaining about what "Letang is getting paid" even though his extension hasn't kicked in yet and using that as justification for why we should move him :laugh:

Indeed, on TSN a little while ago, they mentioned that some experts are projecting the cap to be $80 million within 3 years, and $90 million within 5 years. Beyond this season, Letang and Malkin are both signed for 8 years, Sid signed for 11 years, and Neal for 4. I think people here on the whole are ungrateful and far too negative/unrealistic in their perspective of this team's roster and payroll issues going forward.

:handclap:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Sean Conboy hosted a round-table talk discussing this very topic:

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/B...oundtable-Should-Ray-Shero-Trade-Kris-Letang/

participants:

Sean Conboy, Pittsburgh Magazine’s digital overloard and contributor to SI.com and Wired.

Rob Rossi, reporter for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Russian bias.

Sean Gentille, National NHL writer for The Sporting News. Supplied beers with expense account.

Chris Mueller, co-host of 93.7 The Fan’s afternoon program. Stupifies drive-time Yinzers with big words.

Brian Metzer, NHL.com/Beaver County Times contributing writer. Penguins Live Radio host. Show-off.

Derek Rocco, co-founder of the hilarious Pensblog. Lives in his own home, thank you very much.

Mike Colligan, NHL analyst at Forbes/The Hockey Writers. Could break down your life in 30 seconds.

Jesse Marshall, co-owner of Faceoff-Factor.com. Honk if you’re CORSI.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd rather pay Subban $9 million than pay Letang $7.25 million, so if Montreal wants to make that swap...

Well guess what (besides the grass always being greener on the other side): we don't have PK Subban on our team, and MTL isn't about to trade him, so we don't really have that choice, do we? We don't get to choose Letang vs. Subban vs. Pietrangelo vs. Doughty vs. Weber. We have Kris Letang and that's that. We just have to deal with that, and we should be damn grateful we have an maintained such a great asset, whom we got in the 3rd round of the draft.

If people want to talk about Letang and his contract and how $7.25 is not worth it for us, why don't they just wait until Kris is ACTUALLY making $7.25 (aka next season) and see how he is playing at that time. People who think this player has peaked in his performance don't actually know anything. He's not a guy who's 35 years old and may or may not be over the hill. And based on his play over the past 2 years, people seem to have an extremely short and selective memory about this player. Yes, and for good reason, he has not been as good so far this season. But I don't see in what world that this fact indicates for certain that he will not be able to get back to that level.

Would anyone here rather have Dion Phaneauf instead of Letang? Because like it or not, this is the going rate for a #1, minute munching and point producing Dman.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well guess what (besides the grass always being greener on the other side): we don't have PK Subban on our team, and MTL isn't about to trade him, so we don't really have that choice, do we? We don't get to choose Letang vs. Subban vs. Pietrangelo vs. Doughty vs. Weber. We have Kris Letang and that's that. We just have to deal with that, and we should be damn grateful we have an maintained such a great asset, whom we got in the 3rd round of the draft.

If people want to talk about Letang and his contract and how $7.25 is not worth it for us, why don't they just wait until Kris is ACTUALLY making $7.25 (aka next season) and see how he is playing at that time. People who think this player has peaked in his performance don't actually know anything. He's not a guy who's 35 years old and may or may not be over the hill. And based on his play over the past 2 years, people seem to have an extremely short and selective memory about this player. Yes, and for good reason, he has not been as good so far this season. But I don't see in what world that this fact indicates for certain that he will not be able to get back to that level.

Would anyone here rather have Dion Phaneauf instead of Letang? Because like it or not, this is the going rate for a #1, minute munching and point producing Dman.

I think people are a little gungho about throwing out judgement, I know I am. I think the reason that people are so worried is that his game hasn't stagnated, it has gotten considerably worse. I sincerely hope he starts to turn it around as the season progresses. I think he is absolutely capable of doing so. I also think the coaches are not going to help him out in this regard whatsoever. I think a lot of people on the side of the fence that I'm on see him as a roadblock to acquiring top 6 wingers for Geno and Sid, which only adds to the contempt. Basically I see very logical and well thought out reasons for both sides argument and we won't have a better answer to this debate until seasons end. Hopefully he can stay healthy so Shero and company can make an educated decision this offseason.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Rossi: Last summer, Shero fielded calls about Letang. This was before his extension, so he was essentially a one-year rental player. Other teams were offering top-five picks and Shero's pick of their top prospect. So, there's that.

From that article. If a one-year rental of Letang fetches that, I'd imagine a locked-up Letang gets you a King's ransom.

Find the right deal and pull the trigger. He's not an integral part of this team, he's a luxury, and one that we can use to improve in our problem areas immensely.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
From that article. If a one-year rental of Letang fetches that, I'd imagine a locked-up Letang gets you a King's ransom.

Find the right deal and pull the trigger. He's not an integral part of this team, he's a luxury, and one that we can use to improve in our problem areas immensely.

Its Rossi.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sean Conboy hosted a round-table talk discussing this very topic:

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/B...oundtable-Should-Ray-Shero-Trade-Kris-Letang/

participants:

Considering, that was still a fun read.

Thanks Crafton.

In a sense, Staal brought back a better return.

Top 5 pick and a top prospect. -Letang
Top 8 pick plus a top prospect, and...Brandon Sutter. -Staal

I don't care who's on the draft board or who's the top prospect,(unknown) not enough. There needs to be an impact player coming back who can help them now.

Terrible without knowing the full gist of what was offered, it had to be more.

Its Rossi.

Yes. He really tries.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco

Thanks Crafton.

i found it enjoyable, but i also didn't give any credence to anything Rossi had to say. i think Marshall and Colligan are tremendous. the other non-Rossi guys are fairly entertaining. the pensblog guy is pretty brutal, but he's still better than Rossi.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
See, this is what is so brain-dead about the HF crowd. Dupuis average 20 goal/yr for his last 4 years. So people are whining about needing another wing so that get get 10 goals/year, 1 extra goal every 8 games. But game won't get the extra 10 anyway, because he won't get the pp time.

The whining is all the more bizarre because Dupuis scores virtually all of his at even strength.The last full season, 2011 Dupuis had 25 even strength goals. How many did the great James Neal have? 22. Last year Dupuis had 18. Neal had 12!. And before anyone says it, who gives a rats behind whether he is sucking off Crosby or not. All that matters is the puck goes in the net.

And why did you quote me again?

And your schtick is annoying too. Just thought you may want to know that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Thanks Crafton.

In a sense, Staal brought back a better return.

Top 5 pick and a top prospect. -Letang
Top 8 pick plus a top prospect, and...Brandon Sutter. -Staal

I don't care who's on the draft board or who's the top prospect,(unknown) not enough. There needs to be an impact player coming back who can help them now.

Terrible without knowing the full gist of what was offered, it had to be more.

Yes. He really tries.

Staal brought back a "better" return because he was all but assured to sign long-term on Carolina.

Besides, now that Letang is signed, I am absolutely positive the return would be astronomical. It's all whether or not Shero has the guts to step out of his comfort zone and A. dangle him around the league to test the waters, and B. if he happens to find a great return (stud, permanent solution at wing, plus) will he have the nerve to pull the trigger.

I hope the answer is yes to both. I really don't think this team needs Letang as much as it needs a guy to take pressure off of Sid come playoff time. Again, I don't think Letang is make or break for this team come playoff time. I genuinely don't. He's a luxury, and we have the chance to use him as an asset to fill some glaring voids elsewhere.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Its Rossi.

Yes, even though it's Rossi, it's not far off, if at all. Who was the scout or GM who said "the Penguins got 2 franchise players [Crosby and Letang] in one draft".

Like I said, I can't understand the logic and people don't realize that you can't have it both ways. A) Letang sucks and we should trade him. He's horrible. And yet B) we could get a King's Ransom or elite young player for him.

That logic doesn't work. If he sucks, then he's not tradeable and maybe we should send him to the minors like the Leafs did with Liles. If he's an elite player who could garner another elite player in a trade, then cut him some F'ing slack just like we do with Crosby when he makes a tape-to-tape giveaway to Garrison. Yes, great players make mistakes, too. Heck, look how bad Geno was in the first 5 or 10 games this season. But Letang has one bad shift or period or game, or even a few games, and people are ready to hang him in the streets. It's actually so stupid, I can't even get annoyed. It's hillarous :laugh:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know if anyone said he sucks, but he's not worth his cap hit to this team, especially when he could be used to find Sid's permanent winger solution. Just my opinion, but I really think he's a luxury and the Penguins need to trade him. I sort of liken his shortcomings to Fleury. It's the same thing he's always dealt with his entire career, and it's not getting any better. Terrible giveaways, boneheaded plays with and without the puck, stupid penalties, awful pinches, second-guessing his shot until he waits too long and just fires it into a guy's shin pads. Again, he's got ELITE talent and ability, but his brain just isn't anywhere near where it needs to be in order for him to take full advantage of it. He's a dumb player, period.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery. We sure as Hell need help up front, and he can 100% help with that.

Just makes too much sense to me. /shrug

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Indeed, on TSN a little while ago, they mentioned that some experts are projecting the cap to be $80 million within 3 years, and $90 million within 5 years. Beyond this season, Letang and Malkin are both signed for 8 years, Sid signed for 11 years, and Neal for 4. I think people here on the whole are ungrateful and far too negative/unrealistic in their perspective of this team's roster and payroll issues going forward.

You can say that a million times and all it does is prove that yes, we can keep a competitive roster while having Letang.

It says nothing about Letang being WORTH that, says nothing about whether we NEED him, says nothing about whether we would be better off spending that money differently.

Sid, Malkin, Neal being on the GREAT contracts they are and us having the affordable young D we do could also be an incentive to get more quality depth rather than another super star - particularly if that super star is not playing like one while getting paid as if he was.

Ultimately, Letang can be a good signing at 7.25, sure. But he has to play a lot better defensively, a whole heck of a lot better, than he has for several years.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
You can say that a million times and all it does is prove that yes, we can keep a competitive roster while having Letang.

It says nothing about Letang being WORTH that, says nothing about whether we NEED him, says nothing about whether we would be better off spending that money differently.

Sid, Malkin, Neal being on the GREAT contracts they are and us having the affordable young D we do could also be an incentive to get more quality depth rather than another super star - particularly if that super star is not playing like one while getting paid as if he was.

Ultimately, Letang can be a good signing at 7.25, sure. But he has to play a lot better defensively, a whole heck of a lot better, than he has for several years.

What's your point? I never said he was untouchable if the right offer came along. But there aren't Taylor Halls and Patrick or Evander Kanes being thrown at us for Letang. And I don't see LA or STL standing by with a one for one offer or Pietrangelo or Doughty either. If/when a deal came by for an ELITE forward, I would happily consider it. I'm not biased nor closed-minded on this issue, I'm just realistic. If we can improve our team at any way and at any time, I'd be thrilled to do it, but there's no indication that there's any dialogue with other teams or that we're considering moving this player.

So reality tells us that we are "stuck" with Letang and his "outrageous" contract for the next 8 years. But history also strongly suggests that Dmen do not peak at his age, and with that in mind + what he has shown us in the past, I have every reason to believe that Kris will find his game again. He's one of the best Dmen in the league who has done nothing but improve his game and his fitness EVERY season, with the sole exception of this insanely interrupted one. We still don't even know if he will jive with Rob Scuderi yet (who has been pretty underwhelming himself since he came back).

Bottom line: perhaps people are bored, or perhaps there's a lack of other stuff to talk about, but it's FAR too premature to rush to rush to judgement and truly evaluate how good Letang will be for the back 3rd or 1/4 of the season and playoffs, or if he'll actually find chemistry with Scuderi. I'll be the first one to admit that Letang's game tonight was a brutal one. But I also think his last game was excellent, and we've just seen too many excellent play from him many times over the past couple of years to think, or at least realistically hope, that he can find his game and consistency again.

So I would personally like to see people back off this issue for a little while and see how things play out. And if we get an offer that blows our hair back, I'm sure we'll look at it very, very seriously. But let's not pretend that we have anyone (such as Pouliot) ready to step in now and bring what Letang brings this season or even next. Re-signings would have to occur (Niskanen, extension to Martin), and we would have to get an ELITE, ELITE forward (or insane package of goods) coming back for us (aka Shero and Lemieux) to realisitically consider trading this player at this point. So until such time that this happens, this conversation is moot and entirely in the realm of the hypothetical.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Are PP is better with him off of it. He can't help but make ridiculous stretch passes. Not that durable. Questionable decision making in determining when to rush offensively. Doesn't seem to play more conservative when we have the lead and should be protecting it.

I think he could be Great. I just don't think the penguins are a great fit for him. Unless he modifies his game and I haven't seen that at all. The penguins have enough offense up front that they don't need him to go crazy like he usually does. If he picked his spots and didn't try to be the star of the show he could work here.

Trading him for sids winger long term winger would be ideal. I think that's the only way he gets moved though and I doubt that will happen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I would like to find the thread from this summer when we were talking about re-signing him.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
When I think about how awesome he looked in that game against Vancouver, only to see him turn to complete crap a couple of days later against Edmonton it really does nothing but frustrate the hell out of me. Letang at his best is something special to watch. I just wish he would get his head on straight and play that way on a consistent basis. Not sure what's going on with him this season...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
TOP prospect and top-five pick? This potentially could end up an equal package than what we got for Staal, albeit more futures and no immediate returns (which in my opinion is fine because we have a full roster as is of guys Bylsma won't play regularly).

The current bottom five teams in the NHL:
Buffalo
Edmonton
Calgary
Florida
NY Islanders

Buffalo has two firsts among the bottom five due to the Vanek deal to NYI.

SO, let's look at this...

Buffalo's own first rounder plus Mikhail Grigorenko for Letang?
Edmonton's first rounder plus Nail Yakupov?
Calgary's first rounder plus Sven Baertschi?
Florida's first rounder plus Nick Bjugstad?

This would be the MINIMUM we could expect, imo. I think the only teams that would be interested in Letang's future contract are Buffalo and Edmonton...Calgary's defense isn't the issue, they can't score up front, and Florida won't pay top dollar for Letang while Campbell is still under contract imo.

It's interesting to speculate.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
TOP prospect and top-five pick? This potentially could end up an equal package than what we got for Staal, albeit more futures and no immediate returns (which in my opinion is fine because we have a full roster as is of guys Bylsma won't play regularly).

The current bottom five teams in the NHL:
Buffalo
Edmonton
Calgary
Florida
NY Islanders

Buffalo has two firsts among the bottom five due to the Vanek deal to NYI.

SO, let's look at this...

Buffalo's own first rounder plus Mikhail Grigorenko for Letang?
Edmonton's first rounder plus Nail Yakupov?
Calgary's first rounder plus Sven Baertschi?
Florida's first rounder plus Nick Bjugstad?

This would be the MINIMUM we could expect, imo. I think the only teams that would be interested in Letang's future contract are Buffalo and Edmonton...Calgary's defense isn't the issue, they can't score up front, and Florida won't pay top dollar for Letang while Campbell is still under contract imo.

It's interesting to speculate.

Does Letang's limited no trade clause kick in only next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad