Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sounds like a salary cap of about 72 million for next season! Good news all around. Pay Dion Phaneuf now please.

It can't be next season.

Next season's cap is dependant on this year's revenue. Rogers deal kicks in next year therefore the cap increase because of the TV deal kicks in 2014-15.

Cap will increase next season, but not because of the TV deal.

Asif16*

Can they stop showing those terrible banner ads during the game and improve the quality too.

Sportsnet is like watching Leafs TV. It's pretty darn bad.

Yeah its pretty much what i was saying in my last post.

Their production quality/presentation will need to drastically improve. They need to build a big and better studio to start with.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I haven't seen any comment by anyone in power that confirms this. What I have seen is SNET has traded the Saturday night rights to CBC for the right to use the HNIC brand on their stations.

It was mentioned a few times.

Here is another article:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...s-head/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And while you’re at it, save a thought or two for the future of Hockey Night in Canada, which Sportsnet will sub-lease to the CBC for the next four years, but without The Corp paying any rights fees or getting any of the advertising revenue — or having final say on the product, including on-air personnel.

Rogers is sub leasing HNIC to CBC. Not the other way around.

FakeKidPoker*

James Mìrtle ‏@mirtle 1h
Folks, I apologized to @TSNBobMcKenzie last night for the tweet. It was an ill-timed joke and I meant nothing by it. TSN's going to be fine.

Anyone catch what Mirtle said to Bobo? And what Bobo's response was?

Bob Mckenzie is a real lousy person... an obese bitter fool.

It is because of people like him that I am just so glad TSN is forever a 3rd tier sports channel now.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Wow, big news indeed.

Sucks for TSN, I liked their national approach, but could do without most of their personalities. They'll still continue to talk hockey on radio and such, it's what listeners and viewers want, but obviously tougher without your own broadcasts (except regional).

Rogers stepped up with the big bucks, but now they need to pour a lot into their production as well. Sportsnet broadcasts and their LeafsTV job is pretty bad, I must say.

Hope HNIC lasts more than 4 years, and that Sportsnet doesn't spew out another half dozen, additional subscription channels.

FakeKidPoker*

There's alot of people thinking HNIC is going bye bye..

Personally in the next four years I don't think that is the case.

Scott Moore is the head of Rogers Sportsnet... his last job before that? Head of CBC Sports.

I think Ron Maclean and Don Cherry will have a job as long as they want one.. Cherry is nearly 80 so I wouldn't be too surprised if this was his last year.

Maclean is only in his early 50s so he has lots of time.. still best in the business by far.

Then you have guys like Hughson who were Sportsnet for the longest time he'll be just fine.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
There's alot of people thinking HNIC is going bye bye..

Personally in the next four years I don't think that is the case.

Scott Moore is the head of Rogers Sportsnet... his last job before that? Head of CBC Sports.

I think Ron Maclean and Don Cherry will have a job as long as they want one.. Cherry is nearly 80 so I wouldn't be too surprised if this was his last year.

Maclean is only in his early 50s so he has lots of time.. still best in the business by far.

Then you have guys like Hughson who were Sportsnet for the longest time he'll be just fine.

HNIC as what it was since it was created until today is essentially dead after this season. There will still be some hockey on the CBC but it won't be what it once was ever again in terms of a hockey broadcaster. It's just another Rogers channel on Saturdays now.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
It was mentioned a few times.

Here is another article:
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013...s-head/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rogers is sub leasing HNIC to CBC. Not the other way around.
Interesting article. I know this is probably a dumb question...so Rogers now owns the rights to the HNIC brand and is subbing it out to CBC? Did CBC not own it, or was it owned by the NHL?

While I have hated this deal (along with many others, I actually felt a bit of excitement reading one of the last paragraphs in the article...especially since I live roughly 1km outside of the Toronto region and in Sens region.
The agreement puts an end to regionalization of games and local blackouts, promises a marquee matchup every Sunday, and guarantees that viewers on Saturdays will get every game, either on CBC or one or another of Sportsnet’s properties or partners.

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Sens fan coming in peace ... I ****ing hate this deal right now, and Sportsnet seems so smug and gloating right now. Can't wait for some of them to get fired and still be gloating about it. The guy I'm listening to right now (don't care who he is) .... is saying

"Yeah ... people are concerned about monopolies and stuff .... prices going up ..... you get more hockey , you get more games ... shut up"

I really hope they start firing some of these Sportsnet guys. Yeah people are concerned with this stuff jackass.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
Sens fan coming in peace ... I ****ing hate this deal right now, and Sportsnet seems so smug and gloating right now. Can't wait for some of them to get fired and still be gloating about it. The guy I'm listening to right now (don't care who he is) .... is saying

"Yeah ... people are concerned about monopolies and stuff .... prices going up ..... you get more hockey , you get more games ... shut up"

I really hope they start firing some of these Sportsnet guys. Yeah people are concerned with this stuff jackass.

Yeah, I was just listening to that earlier. Tim&Sid. Too much smug and gloating to my taste. I know they are happy, single-handedly sidelined their #1 competitor in TSN, but apparently showing some professionalism was too much for them.

I also noticed SN didn't bother to talk anything about CBC or TSN. "Great day for hockey fans" repeat x100. Had to tune in on CBC news to hear the tough questions asked (the CBC crew didn't seem happy when they were interviewing Rogers president of sportsnet)

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
They had a clip of Cherry being interviewed on Global News and he seemed uncertain and even a bit fearful of what was going down. He said he was out of town when the deal took place and that nobody contacted him to inform him nor did they let him know if he's staying or going.

Also one of the head guys at Rogers was interviewed about Cherry's status and they said "we aren't making any committments". I hope Cherry stays but wouldn't be shocked if he left either, if anything I can see Rogers wanting to get rid of him because of his big ego (not saying its a bad thing to have a big ego) and hire a "yes man" type of guy to take his spot.

mikebel111*

Since i am in Alberta, will i get less games or the same amount?
And 10 regional games for TSN leafs, will i get to see those games or not.
I am just worried that i might lose games

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
They had a clip of Cherry being interviewed on Global News and he seemed uncertain and even a bit fearful of what was going down. He said he was out of town when the deal took place and that nobody contacted him to inform him nor did they let him know if he's staying or going.

Also one of the head guys at Rogers was interviewed about Cherry's status and they said "we aren't making any committments". I hope Cherry stays but wouldn't be shocked if he left either, if anything I can see Rogers wanting to get rid of him because of his big ego (not saying its a bad thing to have a big ego) and hire a "yes man" type of guy to take his spot.

Well, the interview with the president of sportsnet on CBC news, they asked about Don, and the reply was along the line of "we're willing to give him a lifetime contract if he wants". Same question about Ron, the answer was less definitive. As someone mentioned earlier, the president used to work for CBC Sports, so he knows most of the people there. Not suprised to see the same faces next year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I don't want to read through this whole thread, and I posted in the BOH thread with no answer, so could someone help me out really quick? I'm a Panthers fan living in Canada, and confused as to what this deal means for me...Are Panthers games now all on Sportsnet, or is this deal only for Canadian hockey teams? Thanks

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

I thought so as well, but then I remembered we're talking about the network that employs Bob McGown.

Cherry should be fine.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I don't want to read through this whole thread, and I posted in the BOH thread with no answer, so could someone help me out really quick? I'm a Panthers fan living in Canada, and confused as to what this deal means for me...Are Panthers games now all on Sportsnet, or is this deal only for Canadian hockey teams? Thanks

It is about Canadian teams, however being a panthers fan living in Canada you'll definitely be able to see all the games the Panthers play against Canadian teams on Wed, Sat and Sundays.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Interesting article. I know this is probably a dumb question...so Rogers now owns the rights to the HNIC brand and is subbing it out to CBC? Did CBC not own it, or was it owned by the NHL?

While I have hated this deal (along with many others, I actually felt a bit of excitement reading one of the last paragraphs in the article...especially since I live roughly 1km outside of the Toronto region and in Sens region.

My guess is that CBC still owns the HNIC brand. What they are sub-leasing is the content for HNIC. Part of the price for that content is letting Rogers use the HNIC brand on Saturdays.

I suspect that if Rogers had actually acquired the HNIC brand then they would be using that brand on the Wednesday and Sunday night broadcasts as well and there has been no indication of them doing so.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not sure the technicality is correct, but essentially SN anchors said today that on Saturday for example (and Wednesday, Sunday I think) you will be able to watch different games on their "sister" channels, which includes The Score (SN360), CityTV, Sportsnet and CBC.

Sorry should have worded my response better, CBC has lost the rights to show hockey on Saturday nights, Rogers has offered to CBC the right to show games on Saturday night for free, but CBC makes no money off the advertising revenue, Rogers will on their own stations air games on Saturday night as well. I'm guessing Rogers on Saturday nights will air Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver on their main stations and let CBC air Ottawa/Winnipeg on their station.

wytenyte

Feb 6, 2012
Toronto
With the money Rogers paid to the NHL, the salary cap will now go up because it is part of hockey related revenue. It allows for teams to spend more money and also allows for expansion of NHL teams. (In a way the Leafs owners have paid a way to increase the salary cap for themselves) Coincidently, the idea of a second team in Toronto which could or could not be owned by MLSE.

In a nutshell, the money rogers paid for the NHL TV broadcasting rights, will ultimately drive up the value of MLSE, ultimately driving up the value of Rogers. It’s like a big money circle and a brilliant move to reinvest in their asset.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Sorry should have worded my response better, CBC has lost the rights to show hockey on Saturday nights, Rogers has offered to CBC the right to show games on Saturday night for free, but CBC makes no money off the advertising revenue, Rogers will on their own stations air games on Saturday night as well. I'm guessing Rogers on Saturday nights will air Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver on their main stations and let CBC air Ottawa/Winnipeg on their station.

Since Rogers is making the money from the advertising on the CBC broadcasts and the CBC broadcasts are available to a larger audience, there is more money to be made by airing the main teams on CBC. Just my opinion.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah, I was just listening to that earlier. Tim&Sid. Too much smug and gloating to my taste. I know they are happy, single-handedly sidelined their #1 competitor in TSN, but apparently showing some professionalism was too much for them.

I also noticed SN didn't bother to talk anything about CBC or TSN. "Great day for hockey fans" repeat x100. Had to tune in on CBC news to hear the tough questions asked (the CBC crew didn't seem happy when they were interviewing Rogers president of sportsnet)

I don't get that Tim and Sid and those annoying sound effects, they remind me of two A/V geeks in their parents basement spouting off the wisdom of 2 idiots.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
TSN will regret letting the NHL go. SN might poach some solid people now and replace some of the bums they carry.

Who ever is responsible for sports programming at TSN has probably just lost his job. TSN pockets are much deeper than SNET and he just got played by Rogers. I'm guessing there are some Bell executives using some choice words that would peel paint off the walls right now.

I wonder where Rogers is getting the cash to leverage this purchase? Did they use their equity in MLSE to leverage this expenditure?

$21.5 billion in Assets, $17 billion in liabilities, $5 billion in cash flow and $850 million in cash reserves. Is this a company that can afford to spend this kind of cash?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad