Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Feb 24, 2004
Earlier tonight, Bob McKenzie tweeted the following:

"Pains me to report this, but NHL closing in on landmark CDN TV deal with two CDN networks. Many years (10+), many billions. #overandout"

The blog "Awful Announcing" (pretty reputable source) has since picked up the story, and I'm sure it will snowball from here.

Beyond the ramifications of losing tsn coverage for national games, it seems like this indicates that the salary cap could be rising faster - and by more - then originally anticipated.

MOD EDIT - Updated the title and OP to reflect what we currently know
TORONTO — Canada’s hockey TV landscape underwent a seismic shift Tuesday as Rogers Communications wrested control of NHL multimedia rights with a blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion agreement that will preserve "Hockey Night in Canada" but limit CBC’s role in the iconic broadcast.

The deal, the largest in NHL history, gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the playoffs and Stanley Cup final, on all of its platforms in all languages.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rogers-nhl-complete-deal-for-tv-exclusivity/

Last edited by a moderator:

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Adater on Twitter just posted the story from sportingnews. Pretty crazy stuff

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
hmm i wonder if this just means TSN will only be able to broadcast locally, or cut out of NHL contracts all together?

Either way, would be a shame to loose Bobby Mac and Darren Dregger!

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto
Looks like Rogers is out there swinging its big $'s around....

SN is just not TSN, end of story....as someone mentioned already though, chances are if its a exclusive deal with CBC & SN, many TSN hockey guys will move to one of those networks!

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If true, this is a major shift in power. Expect TSN anchors to jump ship.

Anchors? They'll stay, Sportscenter still has to be done.

My guess is Dreger heads to CBC. Lebrun to SNET possibly even Quebec(RDS/TVA)

Bobby Mac will be the interesting one, I hope he doesn't call it.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Sportsnet is terrible. Rogers already ****ing ruined The Score, now they're going to destroy hockey broadcasts too? Balls.

Thank **** for CBC, at least they're not a pile of steaming **** like SN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad