Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Since Rogers is making the money from the advertising on the CBC broadcasts and the CBC broadcasts are available to a larger audience, there is more money to be made by airing the main teams on CBC. Just my opinion.

Good point, makes sense.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It can't be next season.

Next season's cap is dependant on this year's revenue. Rogers deal kicks in next year therefore the cap increase because of the TV deal kicks in 2014-15.

Cap will increase next season, but not because of the TV deal.

If there is an anticipated significant change to revenues for the upcoming season, they adjust the cap accordingly, from the CBA:

If a significant (i.e., $20 million or more) onetime
increase or decrease to League-wide revenues (e.g., by reason of the addition or loss
of a national television contract or the scheduled opening of one or more new arenas
which is expected to result in a significant increase in League-wide revenues) is
anticipated in the next League Year, the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected
increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into the above-stated formula for
calculating the Adjusted Midpoint.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Interesting article. I know this is probably a dumb question...so Rogers now owns the rights to the HNIC brand and is subbing it out to CBC? Did CBC not own it, or was it owned by the NHL?

While I have hated this deal (along with many others, I actually felt a bit of excitement reading one of the last paragraphs in the article...especially since I live roughly 1km outside of the Toronto region and in Sens region.

this is a great example on why I rail on some for how they post things, the power in words.

This is a marketing half truth.

Local blackouts are ONLY lifted for Wed,Sat,Sund game days.

wytenyte

Feb 6, 2012
Toronto
Women(and some men, not to be sexist) in Canada who don't watch hockey and have all their favourite sitcoms on CityTV are the real ones that lose in this TV deal. All their favorite sitcoms are going to take a backseat to NHL hockey going forward.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who ever is responsible for sports programming at TSN has probably just lost his job. TSN pockets are much deeper than SNET and he just got played by Rogers. I'm guessing there are some Bell executives using some choice words that would peel paint off the walls right now.

I wonder where Rogers is getting the cash to leverage this purchase? Did they use their equity in MLSE to leverage this expenditure?

$21.5 billion in Assets, $17 billion in liabilities, $5 billion in cash flow and $850 million in cash reserves. Is this a company that can afford to spend this kind of cash?

Part of me thinks the main reason TSN is out is the amount of channels they have compared to SN.

Bettman wanted 1 purchaser, SN was the only one with enough channels to pull this off.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I haven't seen any comment by anyone in power that confirms this. What I have seen is SNET has traded the Saturday night rights to CBC for the right to use the HNIC brand on their stations.

As of next year Rogers owns and controls everything we knew as HNIC.

Editing, staffing , game content, advertising revs.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Look at the sample broadcast schedule. The Leafs weren't on CBC on that; the Habs were. The Leafs matchup was on Sportsnet.

It seems like the obvious move for Rogers is to wean the Leafs off HNIC and onto Sportsnet over the next four years, and simultaneously change HNIC to closely resemble a SN broadcast, so that eventually there will be no real difference.

The Leafs fanbase will gradually get used to tuning into SN rather than CBC (and when they do tune into CBC it will look just like SN anyway); the Habs fanbase is already used to tuning into a French station. It will just be TVA instead of RDS.

So come 2018/19, bye bye HNIC.

more like a speculative graphic, perhaps you should have watched watched the guys who made the deal had to say rather then use a speculative graphic made up by our friends at the National Post

although I do not disagree that HNiC will likely get slowly phased out of the process only because of the changing face of how we view the games

Last edited:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
This contract does nothing to the cap till 2015/16 season.

If there is an anticipated significant change to revenues for the upcoming season, they adjust the cap accordingly, from the CBA:

If a significant (i.e., $20 million or more) onetime increase or decrease to League-wide revenues (e.g., by reason of the addition or loss of a national television contract or the scheduled opening of one or more new arenas which is expected to result in a significant increase in League-wide revenues) is anticipated in the next League Year, the parties will endeavor to estimate the expected increase or decrease and incorporate that estimate into the above-stated formula for calculating the Adjusted Midpoint.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not exactly

Sample schedule from sportsnet:
BZ_3dC8CYAIzC3j.jpg

CBC solely retains a Saturday night broadcast. But since Rogers own the Leafs I would say the sample of them being on Sportsnet is going to become the norm, but I could be wrong.

see the color coded explanation underneath

again this is an example of the way it will work it's not a true sample

Pelley said yesterday that Rogers could carry the Leafs on Saturday alongside the CBC broadcast, but on it's different available platforms as well as possibly it's cable network

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Sportsnet is paying six times more per year then TSN was.... I guess we know why TSN didn't match.

I know it looks that way but that's not exactly correct, maybe you v=can ask somebody who understands this to explain it I really don't have the time or energy atm

Keep in mind that Bob's son just started as a reporter there. I think it's inevitable that he ends up at Rogers.

ahhh nepotism the launch of so many great careers:laugh:

If we were to have a draft for TSN employees:

James Duthie --> To Sportsnet replacing Darren Millard ~ Horrible trade off

Bob McKenzie --> To Sportsnet replacing Doug MacLean ~ one blowhard for another

Darren Dreger --> To Sportsnet in addition to Nick Nypreos ~ no effin way

Mike Johnson --> To HNIC replacing P.J. Stock ~ done deal

Aaron Ward --> To Sportsnet as player analyst ~ as a game broadcast guy maybe

Ray Ferraro --> To HNIC replacing Glenn Healy between boards ~ no thanks how bout neither

Pierre LeBrun --> To HNIC replacing Glenn Healy on panel ~ Pierre had his shot maybe Mackenzie

Chris Cuthbert --> To Sportsnet replacing Joe Bowen for Leafs games ~ **** no

Gord Miller --> To HNIC pushing Jim Hughson West to Vancouver ~ all day every day

Jeff O'Neill --> To the nearest volcano ~ UFC for a grudge match with Healy played out with spiked bats

HNIC Panel would be Ron MacLean, Elliott Friedmann, Pierre LeBrun, Kevin Weekes
Sportsnet Panel would be James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Aaron Ward, Nick Kypreos

MacKenzie for LeBrun and you've got a deal

They could call the Sportsnet panel, "Kypreos and those f***ers from TSN."

Nationally, yes. But regionally? We dont know yet. They may acquire regional rights to Canadian teams. They already own the regional rights to the Jets.

And Bell owns a share if the Leafs. Ive a feeling we may yet see Leafs games on TSN

TSN IS OUT as soon as their contract expires at the end of the season

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Women(and some men, not to be sexist) in Canada who don't watch hockey and have all their favourite sitcoms on CityTV are the real ones that lose in this TV deal. All their favorite sitcoms are going to take a backseat to NHL hockey going forward.

City doesn't produce anything original. Those shows are on many other channels.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I know it looks that way but that's not exactly correct, maybe you v=can ask somebody who understands this to explain it I really don't have the time or energy atm

TSN isn't out of Regional action. They already have a long term deal with Winnipeg.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

No, TSN still owns regional coverage for the Leafs. They will have 10 games next season and 26 per season starting in 2015-16. This deal is solely about national coverage.

Google "Leafs regional TV coverage"

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
see the color coded explanation underneath

again this is an example of the way it will work it's not a true sample

Pelley said yesterday that Rogers could carry the Leafs on Saturday alongside the CBC broadcast, but on it's different available platforms as well as possibly it's cable network

The color code is how it currently works. Which is 90% marketing since anyone with all those Sportsnet channels likely has a CBC time shift package to give them all those 'regional' CBC broadcasts which we all know weren't regional since you could view them anywhere in the country.

Yes they could carry the Leafs on many platforms on Saturday but with the increase coverage of American games on Saturday the chances of that are slim and you will be going from CBC to Sportsnet for your Saturday Leaf games. The breakdown will be interesting to see in the summer.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I stand corrected, regional rights to Jets Leafs and Canadiens, with the exception of the rogers/SN "exclusive nights"

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...rogers_a_huge_blow_to_tsn_and_cbc_mudhar.html
6. What NHL games will be on TSN?
Although TSN is cut off from broadcasting national games or the playoffs, regional packages with teams allow the network to air some local content. Current deals include about 25 to 30 Leaf games, 60 Winnipeg Jets games and 75 per cent of Montreal Canadiens games.

but if the Leafs play on a Wednesday while TSN can broadcast it in Toronto, the Rogers/SN will get National coverage, thereby giving the viewer in the Toronto area the choice of a favoured broadcast team, Bowen v Cuthbert ....who do you choose?

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Okay in what way does this new deal affect people living in the Leafs region (Toronto, GTA, London, Windsor etc) does this really affect us in any way? I don't think this has any affect on the people living in the Leafs region. I really don't see any difference other than the games now being on SN instead of TSN

this only affects those who had blackouts .. does it not?

Also, aren't CBC and CityTV both channels you can get with OTA antennas. So now more people can watch games without subscribing to cable and what not?

Finally, whats this Wednesday Saturday Sunday stuff. Does that mean most Leafs games will now be on those days? Since now they mostly play Tues/Thurs/Sat on most nights is that now changing to Wed/Sat

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
As a counter point to Mcleex's post, I'm happy over the fact that
newer Canadian teams, who said wait a generation and Leaf (and Habs) fans will fade away, will now have that process Pejorative Slured.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It seems with every new news article the whole deal gets more complicated for me . I have no idea whats going on haha

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It seems with every new news article the whole deal gets more complicated for me . I have no idea whats going on haha

For Leaf games it's pretty simple:

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday games will be broadcast nationally with Rogers. Likely Sportsnet on Wednesdays. Sportsnet, CityTV, or CBC on Saturdays.

Midweek Leaf games on nights other than Wednesday are broadcast in the Leafs region only. They will be split between Sportsnet, TSN and LeafsTV. 10 games on TSN next season, 26 in subsequent seasons.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
For Leaf games it's pretty simple:

Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday games will be broadcast nationally with Rogers. Likely Sportsnet on Wednesdays. Sportsnet, CityTV, or CBC on Saturdays.

Midweek Leaf games on nights other than Wednesday are broadcast in the Leafs region only. They will be split between Sportsnet, TSN and LeafsTV. 10 games on TSN next season, 26 in subsequent seasons.
Interesting. I thought the deal was a lot different than it sounded .Thanks

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I stand corrected, regional rights to Jets Leafs and Canadiens, with the exception of the rogers/SN "exclusive nights"

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...rogers_a_huge_blow_to_tsn_and_cbc_mudhar.html

but if the Leafs play on a Wednesday while TSN can broadcast it in Toronto, the Rogers/SN will get National coverage, thereby giving the viewer in the Toronto area the choice of a favoured broadcast team, Bowen v Cuthbert ....who do you choose?

This concept isn't hard to understand...

The fact the game is on Wednesday means it's not on TSN. TSN's 26 games fall on 1 of the 4 regional dates.

There will be no such thing as having to choose between the regional or national broadcast.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Part of me thinks the main reason TSN is out is the amount of channels they have compared to SN.

Bettman wanted 1 purchaser, SN was the only one with enough channels to pull this off.

If TSN (Bell actually) had offered more money they would have gotten the rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00