Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Im a shill because im not getting upset that national broadcast rights got moved from one broadcaster to another?

I get more hockey with this new deal then I ever got before. How is that a bad thing?

I wonder if the guy who is calling you a shill knows the rights moved from Bell who owns the 37.5% Leafs to Rogers who owns the 37.5% Leafs?

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Surprising how such a monumental and media changing event is met with such negativity. This will change the way Canadians will watch hockey, and what they can see and when. Don't be surprised when Rogers works with the NHL scheduling department, to help tier the start times for games, so that more people can watch more games at the same time.

This deal has all but strengthened the NHL significantly for years to come, and all but makes certain a higher cap ceiling and stronger smaller market teams. Make no mistake, there is a lot to be learned here, and Rogers will look to areas of improvement to deliver this, and will certainly look at the model and personnel used at TSN. Bell doesn't have the avenues and platform to deliver as does Rogers, and by Rogers embracing technology as to how the game is received today; on-line, I-phones etc, the NHL will be delivered as it has never been before.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wrong.

Rogers now owns HNIC.

You will be watching HNIC on The Score (SN360), CityTV, Sportsnet and CBC

I haven't seen any comment by anyone in power that confirms this. What I have seen is SNET has traded the Saturday night rights to CBC for the right to use the HNIC brand on their stations.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yes because Toronto attracts big name free agents and such. How inthe **** would this have anything to do with the salary cap?

Its considered HRR (Hockey Related Revenue) about $14.5 Million per team per year.

Using rough math this deal alone will increase the cap by about $5,300,000 next year, that is not taking into account any increase due to other HRR streams. I wouldn't be suprised to see the cap go up 7.5 to 8 mil next year.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
I haven't seen any comment by anyone in power that confirms this. What I have seen is SNET has traded the Saturday night rights to CBC for the right to use the HNIC brand on their stations.

Not sure the technicality is correct, but essentially SN anchors said today that on Saturday for example (and Wednesday, Sunday I think) you will be able to watch different games on their "sister" channels, which includes The Score (SN360), CityTV, Sportsnet and CBC.

Asif16*

Even though losing TSN kinda sucks.......part of me is a little excited to see what rogers can do.

I would think that they are gonna do a complete overhaul. Their content now seems dull and boring. Their presentation on TV needs to change drastically.

I also think they should build a bigger studio. Gotta seem official. They need to add more lighting to start off.

Big changes i believe are coming, so im gonna hold off on my judgement until next season.

shibbiness

Feb 7, 2010
GTA
James Mìrtle ‏@mirtle 1h
Folks, I apologized to @TSNBobMcKenzie last night for the tweet. It was an ill-timed joke and I meant nothing by it. TSN's going to be fine.

Anyone catch what Mirtle said to Bobo? And what Bobo's response was?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can they stop showing those terrible banner ads during the game and improve the quality too.

Sportsnet is like watching Leafs TV. It's pretty darn bad.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Can they stop showing those terrible banner ads during the game and improve the quality too.

Sportsnet is like watching Leafs TV. It's pretty darn bad.

Theyre basically the same thing just different intermissions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad