Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Going to have to disagree, you can see quite clearly on the live cam that more than 1/2 the end / side end seats can be retracted to the same level.

7JN6FLG.jpg

http://www.rogersplace.com/live-view2/

The near end (in this screencap) has equal retraction (at most there's like 1/2 a section less), the far end retracts a little less.

Yeah, probably a bit closer than what I thought but no equivalent to 134, and 124 being retractable in present design. Thanks again for the responses.

ps the black netting seen at top is just safety netting right? Just curious but people are saying some of the roof beams come farther down in new arena.

oiler-dude

Yeah, probably a bit closer than what I thought but no equivalent to 134, and 124 being retractable in present design. Thanks again for the responses.

You're welcome.

Worth keeping in mind though, that the equivalent section in Rogers has something like 8 extra rows, so proportionately it may be less, but in sheer number of rows that retract from ice level, likely the same (I believe it's 12 in Rexall that retract).

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

ps the black netting seen at top is just safety netting right? Just curious but people are saying some of the roof beams come farther down in new arena.

Black netting is safety netting to protect workers from tool drops, etc.. You can see in that image where the attachments are to the main beams.

Not sure about the beams coming farther down, but the beam between the 2 larger central support v's is roughly at camera height. It is possible that this is a structural requirement for the weight of the scoreboard/screens that will be installed.

Edit: Question? Is it just my eyes, or is the rink filled with a fluid of some sort? Acid etch for surface coating the rink?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
They had just put down the waterproof membrane for the rink, so just a test to make sure it's all watertight.

Just a comment but wouldn't they want to test for watertight at a later date?

Seems silly to do this with massive construction still being done, work on the underground parking still occurring, weather, elements, still occurring, etc.

Seems like you would test the seal ideally at a later phase in the project as a lot can happen to that seal in the meantime and caused by such things as construction activity or minute settling.

or is the membrane thought to be immune to any such effects. Which leads me to my last thought which would be applying the Membrane early spring instead of mid winter.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Seems silly to do this with massive construction still being done, work on the underground parking still occurring, weather, elements, still occurring, etc.

Seems like you would test the seal ideally at a later phase in the project as a lot can happen to that seal in the meantime and caused by such things as construction activity or minute settling.

or is the membrane thought to be immune to any such effects. Which leads me to my last thought which would be applying the Membrane early spring instead of mid winter.

I think quite the opposite. Why wait until almost done to check for leaks??? Things may be too far along to correct them.

And I'm sure that there would be more than one leak check.

oiler-dude

If I'm not entirely mistaken, rinks will have a layer of piping over top of the membrane, then another layer of chilled concrete for the actual ice to be layed on. Perhaps they want to start working on those layers shortly? In that case they'd need to make sure it's tight now, as they wouldn't really have access afterwards.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, but being what concrete behaves like in this climate and with this clay base soil shifting is a given. Always. Particularly during construction and with newer buildings. Its interesting that they would even try to make the lower layer impermeable. I doubt it is in a few years anyway. I doubt rexall is.

Cracks are a given. Unless floor slab pours are meticulously well done and the ground conditions were better than usual. Unfortunately much of this area of central Edmonton has underground utility shafts, lrt shafts, past coal mines etc. Theres always going to be settling.

Just small quibble but rather than try to make a bottom level of concrete under the ice impermeable I think it would make more sense to have it ontop of a substrate that provides simple drainage for that which does leak. That's gotta be provisioned in the build anyway to be able to drain the rink from time to time.

But lol I'm from the simple school of KISS design. :D.

oiler-dude

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, but being what concrete behaves like in this climate and with this clay base soil shifting is a given. Always. Particularly during construction and with newer buildings. Its interesting that they would even try to make the lower layer impermeable. I doubt it is in a few years anyway. I doubt rexall is.

Cracks are a given. Unless floor slab pours are meticulously well done and the ground conditions were better than usual. Unfortunately much of this area of central Edmonton has underground utility shafts, lrt shafts, past coal mines etc. Theres always going to be settling.

Just small quibble but rather than try to make a bottom level of concrete under the ice impermeable I think it would make more sense to have it ontop of a substrate that provides simple drainage for that which does leak. That's gotta be provisioned in the build anyway to be able to drain the rink from time to time.

Yeah, likely will be some settling. I imagine it's a fairly tried-and-true method though that most rinks use.

hockey-ice-xsection.jpg

Not sure if Rogers has the sand base that is indicated above since there is parking underneath ice level, but there definitely looked to be a drainage trench in the middle of the rink underneath the waterproof membrane for drainage.

SXfUYtv.png

(this is another rink, obviously, but an example of what's yet to come)
piping-1024x682.jpg

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

Winter Garden cover charge is only a rumor, big parking increases? Please elaborate on this, lots around Rexall are $20-25+ now, you really think downtown will be more?

Interior update:
SXfUYtv.png

http://www.rogersplace.com/rogers-place-live-view-3/

In the image above, the area that does not have the membrane on it is the drainage trough.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Those are actually the two events I had in mind - I thought they both used the full floor. Remove those from the equation and I think it probably becomes very difficult to justify the added expense and complexity on the off chance that some currently unnamed event that is likely to draw a lot of customers pops into existence.

And it's not even just the cost. Retractable seats need to be a little bit smaller than non-retractable so there's that as well. Ideally you want your seats that close to the rink to be good quality.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And it's not even just the cost. Retractable seats need to be a little bit smaller than non-retractable so there's that as well. Ideally you want your seats that close to the rink to be good quality.

This is probably one of the biggest considerations. People pay lots of $ for these seats. Over the years I've heard some complaints that the retractable sections move around a bit and feel like sitting on temp scaffolding bleachers.

Never thought that myself but if that opinion has been much expressed in consults with STH buyers of those seats it probably relates to providng the most quality they can with that seating and getting rid of the retractable seats. Good comment.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
This is probably one of the biggest considerations. People pay lots of $ for these seats. Over the years I've heard some complaints that the retractable sections move around a bit and feel like sitting on temp scaffolding bleachers.

Never thought that myself but if that opinion has been much expressed in consults with STH buyers of those seats it probably relates to providng the most quality they can with that seating and getting rid of the retractable seats. Good comment.

Im honestly wondering this .... do u realize that 85% of ur posts is of u complaining about something , I have never heard u say anything good about anything

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Rumor has it that an announcement is scheduled for January 13th, most likely the naming/franchise of the new luxury hotel going in. Right now it sounds like it will be a JW Marriott which would make it only the second one in Canada nearing the top end of their brand (not quite as high as their Carleton-Ritz brand).

Right on cue....

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad