Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiler-dude

Time for a new thread, last one ran its course!

exterior-2.jpg

Bowl-Hockey-low-res-June-15-2015_web.jpg

Good to Know / Resources:
Time Lapse Cameras: http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse/
Live View - Sky Cam: http://www.rogersplace.com/live-view/
Live View - Rink Cam: http://www.rogersplace.com/rogers-place-live-view-3/
Live View - Bowl Cam: http://www.rogersplace.com/live-view2/

News since the last thread closed:

Get a sneak peek at the new arena!
You’ve watched Rogers Place rise from the ground and followed along on the live construction cameras. Now here’s your chance to get a first-hand look at one of Edmonton’s largest and most talked about construction projects.
https://www.mailoutinteractive.com/Industry/View.aspx?id=751055&p=854f

When: January 16; 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I just drove by it today on the way home from Whyte Ave. Looking pretty spectacular so far. Because of traffic at 3 PM, I was kinda stuck just West of it on 104th ave. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the metal cladding or whatever they call it. I don't know if it's the material or what, but something about it didn't appeal to me for some reason. Maybe I was in a bad mood because everyone forgets how to drive around this time of year though. Went past about 3 or 4 accidents on the way home.

oilers106

Nov 25, 2008
I just drove by it today on the way home from Whyte Ave. Looking pretty spectacular so far. Because of traffic at 3 PM, I was kinda stuck just West of it on 104th ave. I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the metal cladding or whatever they call it. I don't know if it's the material or what, but something about it didn't appeal to me for some reason. Maybe I was in a bad mood because everyone forgets how to drive around this time of year though. Went past about 3 or 4 accidents on the way home.

That metal cladding is not the final layer

oiler-dude

The corrugated steel you see on most of the arena right now isn't the final layer. They're starting to put the final cladding on the West side of the arena, but it's still got protective film on it at the moment, so you can't see the exact look quite yet.

RP2_zpsdp8r1x6l.jpg

http://s1254.photobucket.com/user/Balancedop/media/RP2_zpsdp8r1x6l.jpg.html

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks for the affirmation guys. I didn't think that was the final rendition.

Cannot wait for it to be completed.

Chuba

Jan 26, 2007
just a quick question...does the 450M to build this thing including the land as well?

oiler-dude

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I just seen the Oilers feed on Twitter throw up a link with video of the Rexall construction and opening. Pretty neat. I have never seen any footage of Rexall while it was being made or opened.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Cool sculpture of the city skyline, the new Stantec Tower is just a little taller than the existing stuff we have now lol.

tips

Mar 8, 2006
edmonton
Bump...

Anyone hear this report about how the community rink is "almost done" and it's raising eyebrows because "it doesn't look at all like the renderings"?

I just heard a news brief on TSN 1260 about it. Supposed to run on CTV Edmonton tonight.

Has anyone heard anything about this and/or seen what the interior looks like?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Bump...

Anyone hear this report about how the community rink is "almost done" and it's raising eyebrows because "it doesn't look at all like the renderings"?

I just heard a news brief on TSN 1260 about it. Supposed to run on CTV Edmonton tonight.

I'm curious of this too, did anyone tune in for this news report?

tips

Mar 8, 2006
edmonton
I'm curious of this too, did anyone tune in for this news report?

I saw the report tonight. It's not a big deal. Apparently the CEO for Qualico was saying it was "disappointing" because the nearly-completed rink (and updated renderings) don't look like the original renderings the public was shown in 2012.

Here's the hard-hitting journalism:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=781916&binId=1.1203428&playlistPageNum=1

Everyone knows things can change over 3+ years, and it's not like its gonna look like a dump. They wanted to save some money, it still looks fine judging by the new rendering, I don't see the issue here.

As the story says, it sounds like media will actually be shown the rink on the 16th.

oiler-dude

Bump...

It depends how you look at it, I guess. Renderings from back in 2012 had it looking like this:

iceview_open_full.jpg

However, that wasn't from a final set of designs for the arena. To my knowledge, no updated render for the community rink interior was released when they scrapped the swooping roof for the finalized design:

ph9_feb2014_new.png

But a few weeks ago, a new interior render was shown. It has definitely been dumbed down, but I'd imagine it certainly looks like this most recent render. Therefore - depends what render you go on, I guess? This newer render isn't everywhere, the only place I've seen it is the Ice District Twitter account, so perhaps it was missed by whomever was doing the story or something.

CWhddnLWUAEww2_.jpg:large

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I saw the report tonight. It's not a big deal. Apparently the CEO for Qualico was saying it was "disappointing" because the nearly-completed rink (and updated renderings) don't look like the original renderings the public was shown in 2012.

Here's the hard-hitting journalism:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=781916&binId=1.1203428&playlistPageNum=1

Everyone knows things can change over 3+ years, and it's not like its gonna look like a dump. They wanted to save some money, it still looks fine judging by the new rendering, I don't see the issue here.

As the story says, it sounds like media will actually be shown the rink on the 16th.

kinda figured its was someone blowing hot air over almost nothing, thanks for the reply, tips

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
it was definitely a major downgrade but if i remember correctly it was done when the province (or was it fed?) refused to kick in an anticipated contribution. same time that they switched from zinc to brushed steel cladding for the main arena exterior.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The real deal that people should be concerned about is that no meaningful public discosure occurred regarding the quality of interior or exterior design of this community rink which was used as a carrot in which to forge the arena deal through and now this is what we get. A COE community rink far worse than the ones recently built in Terwillegar, Meadows, and with the design looking more like a small town community arena. Attached to a "World Class" design arena and indeed even covering part of the view of the arena on one side. (The side that just happens to be closest to the downtown and ironically City hall..)

All that's really been done here is to stick an ugly rink box onto what is supposed to be a world class project.

The short conclusion is that building this Community rink somewhere else bordering the downtown, and not immediately adjacent to a world class arena might have been a better plan.

I don't think this design as completed works well with Rogers Arena either inside or out. It looks like a tacky add on.

Trader

Jan 13, 2007
The real deal that people should be concerned about is that no meaningful public discosure occurred regarding the quality of interior or exterior design of this community rink which was used as a carrot in which to forge the arena deal through and now this is what we get. A COE community rink far worse than the ones recently built in Terwillegar, Meadows, and with the design looking more like a small town community arena. Attached to a "World Class" design arena and indeed even covering part of the view of the arena on one side. (The side that just happens to be closest to the downtown and ironically City hall..)

All that's really been done here is to stick an ugly rink box onto what is supposed to be a world class project.

The short conclusion is that building this Community rink somewhere else bordering the downtown, and not immediately adjacent to a world class arena might have been a better plan.

I don't think this design as completed works well with Rogers Arena either inside or out. It looks like a tacky add on.

It makes sense to attach the community rink so that it can easily be used as a practice facility for the Oilers and OilKings.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Not gonna lie, I'm pretty disappointed with the new version of the community rink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->