Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wow - that's really surprising (though I admit to not being up on all the details). Does this not limit the types of non-hockey/sports events that the building can host?

It means its less floor space adaptable than Rexall is, which was completed in 1974 and for a small fraction of the price.

Interesting eh?

Markiw17

Jun 23, 2014
From arenalasvegas.com 85 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY.
6478_archive_20160111143000_URLU1V8D.jpg

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
It means its less floor space adaptable than Rexall is, which was completed in 1974 and for a small fraction of the price.

Interesting eh?

Well, I suppose it goes to the incremental capital and operational costs of a fully retractable lower bowl (both of which I suspect are anything but trivial) versus the realistic demand for those capabilities. In terms of hockey ops, I don't trust the Oilers' braintrust any further than I can throw them (Chia and Nicholson notwithstanding - though the clock is ticking...). On the pure business side, though, I think they are exceptionally savvy and a legitimate force to be reckoned with. If they made the determination that a fully retractable lower bowl would be costlier or more troublesome than it is ultimately worth for the Edmonton market, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt 10 times out of 10 that they've done their homework and very likely made the right decision. That Las Vegas pic above (similarly lacking in retractable sides) suggests to me that maybe it's simply not a best practice any more?

Last edited:

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
According to this link he did say it. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/gary-bettman-calgarynext-chamber-commerce-1.3398581

I hope he was misquoted or wrong. I'm still hoping the Oilers start next season in Roger's place, not the following one.

A friend of mine is a welder working at the arena right now and she told me last night that the push is really on now to be out of there by the end of August as the first booking for the facility is in the first week of September (I believe she said the 5th). So for what that's worth it sounds like they'll be ready for the start of next season.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
Anybody else hear about Bettman saying Rogers place will be open Canada day 2017? Was on twitter @Oilers1966 said it

On Canada Day 2017, the Oilers will have already enjoyed their first full season at a transformational new arena, Rogers Place, part of an Ice District that will transform downtown Edmonton and will become the largest mixed use development in Canada.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/the-clock-is-ticking-on-calgarys-arena-plans/

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Interesting eh?

The only events that I can think of where the lower bowl seats were ever retracted were monster truck shows......

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The only events that I can think of where the lower bowl seats were ever retracted were monster truck shows......

How about CFR? Big annual event for the city. What about that?

Also some "In the Round" concerts in the past have made use of some of the floor space afforded by side seats being moveable. Such a design I suspect also allows much easier build up or take down as theres more room to work around, dissemble concert lighting towers etc. Any crew assembling anything is benefited by more, not less space to work in.

The Rexall design was extremely sensible and could facilitate any type of show.

Even indoor Soccer, Indoor football (used to be a thing) and some indoor track events.

Afairc even some Cirque du Soleil or Circus productions have benefitted from the larger floor space area.

Finally some of the touring dinosaur shows required more floor space than a normal rink allows.

I don't think its as open and shut as just "Monster Trucks" and that's it.

It is kind of silly to have a new arena that costs 30X as much that's less adaptable.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not really. Not every tidbit about the new arena is a flaw.

No, so far just the brutal redesign of the Community Arena, a 2/3 sized Winter Garden, no terrazzo tile in the winter garden, reduced height now in the Winter garden. Steel cladding instead of zinc exteriors, no sky paddock.

This is what we know so far, so I guess not everything is a flaw but lots to be concerned about already on a build where as it turns out the public has been not privy to redesigns, omissions, etc.

Seems like we're not getting a whole lot of what was promised in the 600M buck arena plan. But oh well.

Curiously most of the information finally being released just prior to the public walk through on the weekend.

Not that i'm ever spending hundreds of bucks for a ticket to see the Oilers in the new arena anyway.

Money grubbling Katz can get stuffed. Not giving the ****er a dime.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
No, so far just the brutal redesign of the Community Arena, a 2/3 sized Winter Garden, no terrazzo tile in the winter garden, reduced height now in the Winter garden. Steel cladding instead of zinc exteriors, no sky paddock.

This is what we know so far, so I guess not everything is a flaw but lots to be concerned about already on a build where as it turns out the public has been not privy to redesigns, omissions, etc.

Curiously most of the information finally being released just prior to the public walk through on the weekend.

Not that i'm ever spending hundreds of bucks for a ticket to see the Oilers in the new arena anyway.

Money grubbling Katz can get stuffed. Not giving the ****er a dime.

I want all the bells and whistles, myself. I suppose I just like to wait and see how things turn out before I judge. If it turns out to suck, I'll be right here complaining along side you as usual.

oiler-dude

Also some "In the Round" concerts in the past have made use of some of the floor space afforded by side seats being moveable. Such a design I suspect also allows much easier build up or take down as theres more room to work around, dissemble concert lighting towers etc. Any crew assembling anything is benefited by more, not less space to work in.

The Rexall design was extremely sensible and could facilitate any type of show.

Even indoor Soccer, Indoor football (used to be a thing) and some indoor track events.

Afairc even some Cirque du Soleil or Circus productions have benefitted from the larger floor space area.

Finally some of the touring dinosaur shows required more floor space than a normal rink allows.

I don't think its as open and shut as just "Monster Trucks" and that's it.

It is kind of silly to have a new arena that costs 30X as much that's less adaptable.

Not to rain on the parade or anything, but neither the CFR nor Monster Jam retracted any side seats at Rexall. Only the end seats, which is the exact same configuration as Rogers will be capable of.

1297661678542_ORIGINAL.jpg

0MxGrKu.jpg

(You can see the full transformation if you don't believe a single screencap at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Uu7m8XBnw)

So there are the two major annual shows that might have required the extra floor space debunked. In all likelihood, project managers spoke to various types of shows and determined the required amount of flexibility for a new facility. Olympic sized ice is no longer required in North America (Vancouver Olympics set that precedent).

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I thought they were for the rodeo as well.

Unless something has changed they don't take out seats for the CFR as far as I know. Same goes for monster truck events.

Indoor soccer and indoor football both just used the rink as the surface. The seats aren't retracted for that either.

NinjaEdit: oiler-dude beat me to it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Unless something has changed they don't take out seats for the CFR as far as I know. Same goes for monster truck events.

NinjaEdit: oiler-dude beat me to it.

Thanks for that.

One would think that the design would have included the provisions/configurations for non hockey events. Seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I want all the bells and whistles, myself. I suppose I just like to wait and see how things turn out before I judge. If it turns out to suck, I'll be right here complaining along side you as usual.

The price of seats itself at the new arena is a non starter for me. I simply can't justify spending hundreds of bucks for one NHL ticket. Not going to do it.

Its a blueblood arena and not for me. Not for most people.

Which will become obvious soon enough.

its already a known with STH prices what they are in Rogers.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not to rain on the parade or anything, but neither the CFR nor Monster Jam retracted any side seats at Rexall. Only the end seats, which is the exact same configuration as Rogers will be capable of.

).

Thanks Oilerdude but that area of seats taken out for monster trucks and CFR looks to be more of an area of retractable capability than the new arena. Particularly for the monster show there you can see that some of the end side sections are also taken out. At Rogers the sections that are retractable look to be less.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
And just because it was brought up as well, the most recent Cirque du Soleil show didn't retract them either.

61065s.gif

What do you call the 134, 132, 122, 124 retractions? This degree of retraction from what I've seen is not available to that extent at Rogers. Just end retraction. Some of those sections retracted above are corner and side retraction. The schematic shows that.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

1297661678542_ORIGINAL.jpg

0MxGrKu.jpg

(You can see the full transformation if you don't believe a single screencap at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Uu7m8XBnw)

So there are the two major annual shows that might have required the extra floor space debunked. In all likelihood, project managers spoke to various types of shows and determined the required amount of flexibility for a new facility. Olympic sized ice is no longer required in North America (Vancouver Olympics set that precedent).

Those are actually the two events I had in mind - I thought they both used the full floor. Remove those from the equation and I think it probably becomes very difficult to justify the added expense and complexity on the off chance that some currently unnamed event that is likely to draw a lot of customers pops into existence.

oiler-dude

Thanks Oilerdude but that area of seats taken out for monster trucks and CFR looks to be more of an area of retractable capability than the new arena. Particularly for the monster show there you can see that some of the end side sections are also taken out. At Rogers the sections that are retractable look to be less.

What do you call the 134, 132, 122, 124 retractions? This degree of retraction from what I've seen is not available to that extent at Rogers. Just end retraction. Some of those sections retracted above are corner and side retraction. The schematic shows that.

Going to have to disagree, you can see quite clearly on the live cam that more than 1/2 the end / side end seats can be retracted to the same level.

7JN6FLG.jpg

http://www.rogersplace.com/live-view2/

The near end (in this screencap) has equal retraction (at most there's like 1/2 a section less), the far end retracts a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad