Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compgod

Jun 22, 2015
It was mentioned at the season seat holders signing event that those 4000 spots being built by Katz will not be ready until the 3rd season in Rogers Place.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Umm, yeah, I realize it wasn't going to be the exterior. I was making a funny about all the wood roofs in many of the small town community arenas I grew up in.

Thanks for clarifying.

Somebody here is taking this much too seriously. If it counts for anything Section 337, I laughed. I was going to recommend an igloo roof but I got frightened that "someone" would say that it would not be effective in the summer. :D

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Get a Sneak Peek of Rogers Place

You’ve watched Rogers Place rise from the ground and followed along on the live construction cams. On Saturday, January 16, it’s your chance to get a first-hand look at one of Edmonton’s largest and most talked-about construction projects.

This “sneak peek” will give people the opportunity to get a rink-side view of the entire bowl, and a chance to see the Downtown Community Arena. As the building is under construction, access is limited to these two viewing points to ensure everyone’s safety.

Come see Rogers Place for yourself!
Saturday, January 16, 2016
Doors open at 11am; you must be in line no later than 2pm
Access to line-up area opens 9:30am

Come prepared
Dress for the weather as the line-up is outside. Depending on attendance you may be in line for some time. Wear sturdy shoes/boots as you will be walking on dirt paths and uneven terrain. Safety equipment is not required.

Entry to the event
The entrance to the event is at 101 Street and 104 Avenue. There is no drop off zone, so please park and walk to the site.

Getting There & Parking
There are thousands of parking spots on the street and in parkades downtown. Here is a list of City parkades and information on downtown parking. Regular rates apply. Please do not park in surrounding residential areas surrounding Rogers Place.

You are encouraged to take public transit. There are several ETS routes, including the LRT, within a short walk of Rogers Place. Regular rates apply.

Traffic
104 Avenue is closed between 101 – 103 Street for this event. Detour using Jasper Avenue, 102 Avenue or 107 Avenue.
Also, there are several LRT stations within a short walk of Rogers Place. Please consider using the LRT/transit to come to the event.

What to expect
You will be allowed in two viewing areas: one in the Downtown Community Rink, and one rink side in the main bowl of Rogers Place.

The sneak peek will take about 20 minutes to walk through the building, see the displays and take a few photos. No food or drinks are permitted inside the building.

Minors must be accompanied by an adult and we discourage people from bringing strollers as there will be no place to store them and you will be walking on dirt paths and uneven terrain.

Event capacity limits how many people who can be permitted in the building at one time, so wait times are expected.
http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/projects_redevelopment/get-a-sneak-peek-of-rogers-place.aspx

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
He's comparing "game night downtown parking rates" vs "normal downtown parking rates".

For example, it currently costs $3 to park at Edmonton Center after 6pm. $20 would be a pretty big increase.

On the bright side, the area around Rexall Place will go from $25 to $0!

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
CYKtnYLUAAEWEh1.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/HCDurech/status/685300991521112065

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Prices may go up from where they are now in downtown but there is also A LOT more parking which means competition. More people going downtown is a good thing, this adds vibrancy and energy which in turn brings people's money downtown and stimulates growth.

You say other business will get the shaft? More like they will benefit, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc will all benefit by having another 15,000-20,000 people near them for 150-200 nights a year. Why do you think businesses are clamouring for spots near the arena to build restaurants, bars, condos, etc? They know that people are going to spend time and money before and after games which benefits everyone and having your parking rate increase a little is a fair trade. One could argue that bringing in 4,000 more stalls will cause a drop in parking rates as it floods the market with more product (note that the City Centre mall is also adding 300+ stalls as well) :naughty:

At any rate, there will be 13,500+ stalls within a 10 minute/800 m walk of the arena (4,000 being built by Katz), more than double that there is at Rexall and a lot will be covered/underground parking (much better and closer than the current parking).

urbancontextinfluences-ice-district-parking-150707.1000.jpg

http://icedistrictproperties.com/news/maps-graphics.html

People will also live and work near the arena negating the need to drive to the game/park as they will already be near the arena/can walk to the game. This is also true for out of town guest that are already staying downtown at hotels. There will also be more mass transit links to get to the game, especially once the Millwoods line is completed resulting in even less people needing to drive to the game.

I think parking on the east side of downtown near the Citadel, AGA, Winspear, etc won't be affected as much as they are on the further side (1 km away and outside the 13,500+ stalls mentioned above). Businesses and people will need to adjust at the beginning to see what works but I can't see everyone jacking their prices too much as there is simply too much supply and other means of transportation to get to the events.

I think you bring up some excellent points and I'm going to say I really hope you are 100% correct on all of this. A vibrant, exciting downtown is beneficial to everyone and I really, really hope it is realized. Put some of the politics from the arena deal aside, maybe the city could've spent less or got more from Katz, the deal is here and Edmonton benefits from it succeeding. Hopefully the "I told you so" people will be silenced in the coming years because of the excellence that downtown Edmonton offers.

The one thing I'd caution you against is how wonderful all these people will be downtown. It COULD be good, there's no denying that.

This is a blog post on a Washington Post article during the 2012 London Olympics. If you'd ever dreamed of going to London but always felt the tourist attractions would be too packed during the summer months you missed a great opportunity to see London in 2012...

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2012/08/02/3614/london-olympics-nobody-goes-there-its-too-crowded/

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I wonder what the impact will be on Oil Kings ticket prices with the new arena.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I think you bring up some excellent points and I'm going to say I really hope you are 100% correct on all of this. A vibrant, exciting downtown is beneficial to everyone and I really, really hope it is realized. Put some of the politics from the arena deal aside, maybe the city could've spent less or got more from Katz, the deal is here and Edmonton benefits from it succeeding. Hopefully the "I told you so" people will be silenced in the coming years because of the excellence that downtown Edmonton offers.

The one thing I'd caution you against is how wonderful all these people will be downtown. It COULD be good, there's no denying that.

This is a blog post on a Washington Post article during the 2012 London Olympics. If you'd ever dreamed of going to London but always felt the tourist attractions would be too packed during the summer months you missed a great opportunity to see London in 2012...

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2012/08/02/3614/london-olympics-nobody-goes-there-its-too-crowded/

Interesting article. It does talk about how new visitors during events displace other tourists, though, and I don't think that's an issue with Edmonton's downtown. The trouble now is people aren't going to Edmonton's downtown at all. What's really going to help the downtown is all the condos being built as a result of the arena being a catalyst for making people want to live there.

If anything does suffer, I think it'll be something like West Edmonton Mall -- kind of the opposite effect from when WEM was built.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting article. It does talk about how new visitors during events displace other tourists, though, and I don't think that's an issue with Edmonton's downtown. The trouble now is people aren't going to Edmonton's downtown at all. What's really going to help the downtown is all the condos being built as a result of the arena being a catalyst for making people want to live there.

If anything does suffer, I think it'll be something like West Edmonton Mall -- kind of the opposite effect from when WEM was built.

yeah i think most people agree with this.... if the ice district *does* turn out to be a big draw, its going to negatively affect other places in edmonton

as a person who doesn't live in edmonton though, i couldn't be happier that i'll be able to just go to one place (downtown) and take in a game without having to drive, take the LRT, etc

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

After going last night to see The Revenant WEM could probably benefit from a little less wind in its sail. A few less people allows some room to breathe and might help make a few more sales.

Downtown is slowly turning and if the arena helps it'll be most evident during the spring, summer and fall months. If there's a weekday game in January next year with weather like this I think the crowds will be more hit and run than hanging out after.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
I wonder what the impact will be on Oil Kings ticket prices with the new arena.

I may be wrong but prices for loge seats include Oil kings. I wonder how many of those will appear on the secondary markets and what they'll be charging.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
19244-64888.jpg

Stainless Steel Skin Appears on Rogers Place

Edmonton hockey fans have been patiently waiting for a new complex to house their beloved Oilers, who have been playing out of the aging Rexall Place — the NHL's second oldest arena — since 1974. Fortunately, Edmonton won't have to wait much longer, as their new hockey throne Rogers Place is expected to be puck-ready for the 2016-2017 season.

Led by the City of Edmonton and Katz Group Properties, owners of the Edmonton Oilers, the arena will accommodate 18,641 hockey fans. The $450 million CAD project is hoping to obtain LEED Silver certification, and if achieved, this would be the first NHL facility in Canada to earn the distinction.
http://skyrisecities.com/news/2016/01/stainless-steel-skin-appears-rogers-place

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Rumor has it that an announcement is scheduled for January 13th, most likely the naming/franchise of the new luxury hotel going in. Right now it sounds like it will be a JW Marriott which would make it only the second one in Canada nearing the top end of their brand (not quite as high as their Carleton-Ritz brand).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad