Rogers Place:3: the search for perfection

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Its not substandard. Its consistently voted one of the best surfaces in the league. The refs and players submit reports each and every game, based on how the ice was by period. Adjustments are made to try and over come short comings base on reports.

Is it possible to have a bad night of ice? Yes. Plenty of factors, was there practices the day of? Concert the day before? Weather outside etc. All that playing a part can lead to a less than perfect sheet that night, but to say it is substandard is in correct.
Can you show me where this data is, thanks!

Edit: Well here you go: https://www.bardown.com/nhl-players...e-the-best-and-worst-ice-to-play-on-1.1020159

Ranked 2nd. I am honestly. surprised.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Didn’t have dinner there last night but had a couple pre game beers at the bar, was pretty cool. Because they do the pregame show from up there anyone they are interviewing is up there, so game 1 it was Gretzky, Katz, McSorely and a few others, last night it was Jordin Tootoo. Also saw Dave Hunter up there. Not a celebrity watcher but it was kind of cool. Was more watching the Leafs lose on the big screen. Wasn’t as jam packed but still very busy. Going to try the buffet at the next few games so see how it goes as the season goes along.

I thought you said in your earlier post that the "food was great"when describing your experience at the new place?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Perhaps when the Oilers brag about their ice quality, they're referring to ice in drinks?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I thought you said in your earlier post that the "food was great"when describing your experience at the new place?

Yes that was for the opening night vs Boston when we ate there and I commented about the food and ambiance after that game.

The post your quoting was after Game 2 vs Nashville. I had 2 Belgian Moon beers and my buddy had a rum and coke at the bar.

2 games, 2 separate visits.

And for there record, tonight we are not eating or drinking there.

We are eating (and probably drinking) there Thursday vs Washington as well as vs Minnesota and Chicago.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
JONES: Rogers Place ice crew climb to No. 2 in NHL in two years

Rogers Place, where fans had been freezing in the sport’s ultimate new puck palace for two seasons, has been voted No. 2 in the league to only the Montreal Canadiens Bell Centre crew in a survey of players of the National Hockey League Players Association.
The NHLPA rated Montreal’s No. 1, claiming 28 per cent of the vote. Edmonton ranked second at 21.7.
Third place was a long way back — Winnipeg’s MTS Centre at 6.6.

“For temperature control we have over 2,000 pieces of equipment. That’s why our team is so ecstatic about getting No. 2 after our second season, because there were a lot of challenges to overcome.
“Our strategies have changed. Our automation system is now the best in the NHL according to the NHL. When the NHL guys come in and tell you ‘We think you have the best team in the NHL,’ that’s saying something, right?” he said of his team headed by J.J. Straker and Mark Messer.

Edit: So here I thought this was news, but after going to the NHLPA website this was from last year's poll. What the hell is the point of this article then?

Last edited:

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
JONES: Rogers Place ice crew climb to No. 2 in NHL in two years

Rogers Place, where fans had been freezing in the sport’s ultimate new puck palace for two seasons, has been voted No. 2 in the league to only the Montreal Canadiens Bell Centre crew in a survey of players of the National Hockey League Players Association.
The NHLPA rated Montreal’s No. 1, claiming 28 per cent of the vote. Edmonton ranked second at 21.7.
Third place was a long way back — Winnipeg’s MTS Centre at 6.6.

“For temperature control we have over 2,000 pieces of equipment. That’s why our team is so ecstatic about getting No. 2 after our second season, because there were a lot of challenges to overcome.
“Our strategies have changed. Our automation system is now the best in the NHL according to the NHL. When the NHL guys come in and tell you ‘We think you have the best team in the NHL,’ that’s saying something, right?” he said of his team headed by J.J. Straker and Mark Messer.

Edit: So here I thought this was news, but after going to the NHLPA website this was from last year's poll. What the hell is the point of this article then?
This was discussed last week on this very board. Clearly it was a slow news day and Terry was on HF looking for something to write about.

Reactions: boredem

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This was discussed last week on this very board. Clearly it was a slow news day and Terry was on HF looking for something to write about.
I remember I was involved in it.

Really thought it was new until I went to the NHLPA site and saw the numbers from last year's poll are bang on to what Jones posted.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yes that was for the opening night vs Boston when we ate there and I commented about the food and ambiance after that game.

The post your quoting was after Game 2 vs Nashville. I had 2 Belgian Moon beers and my buddy had a rum and coke at the bar.

2 games, 2 separate visits.

And for there record, tonight we are not eating or drinking there.

We are eating (and probably drinking) there Thursday vs Washington as well as vs Minnesota and Chicago.

So, I finally made it to a game, and went into the "new" place. Exactly the same place, except the walls full of Gretzky pictures, etc. Looks nice, but take that off the walls and no other physical change.

We didn't eat but got there with about 8 minutes left in the period. Ordered a couple drinks. Took 15 minutes to get them, so missed part of the next period, very frustrating. Same slow service as before, still not enough people working behind the bar, etc.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So, I finally made it to a game, and went into the "new" place. Exactly the same place, except the walls full of Gretzky pictures, etc. Looks nice, but take that off the walls and no other physical change.

We didn't eat but got there with about 8 minutes left in the period. Ordered a couple drinks. Took 15 minutes to get them, so missed part of the next period, very frustrating. Same slow service as before, still not enough people working behind the bar, etc.

Never been there between periods but you can preorder food and drinks if you want before the game up there. I go there before most games and after every game for about 1/2 hour so as to avoid the long traffic lines leaving.

I’ve never had to wait longer than a few minutes for drinks to arrive, food always has been good and my guests love the new decor and watching other games in progress or the pre/post game shows.

Maybe they didn’t like you or something lol.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Never been there between periods but you can preorder food and drinks if you want before the game up there. I go there before most games and after every game for about 1/2 hour so as to avoid the long traffic lines leaving.

I’ve never had to wait longer than a few minutes for drinks to arrive, food always has been good and my guests love the new decor and watching other games in progress or the pre/post game shows.

Maybe they didn’t like you or something lol.

Wish I could use the excuse that they didn't like me, but that didn't appear to be the case, lol. As mentioned, my experience was in between periods, not pre or post game, so perhaps that is more time sensitive when I go, due to the shortened period break.

Don't they charge extra for you to pre-order food or drinks?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wish I could use the excuse that they didn't like me, but that didn't appear to be the case, lol. As mentioned, my experience was in between periods, not pre or post game, so perhaps that is more time sensitive when I go, due to the shortened period break.

Don't they charge extra for you to pre-order food or drinks?

I don’t think so, it’s an option you can choose when you go pregame but I’ve never done it before. My buddy did once and he said it was ok.

Taking one of my sons again tonight pregame. Should be fun. Place is always rocking and often see an Oiler alum or sports reporter up there like John Shannon.

Pitcher of beer seems like a good deal, like a buy 3 get one free on the regular beer price. He doesn’t drink and I drive home so I can’t indulge.

Anyways I enjoy it versus going to a nearby restaurant then walking to the game. I like the convenience of eating, hearing the pregame and just walking a short distance to my seats.

Boozers

Mar 18, 2004
Edmonton
I was able to receive theatre box seats to an upcoming hockey game at Rogers Place. Im curious what food items are available in your box? How is the experience?

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
We got the best barn in the whole league, Calgary is jealous as frig that we have it (and the best player).

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We got the best barn in the whole league, Calgary is jealous as frig that we have it (and the best player).

Hate to say it but the best barn is the new arena in Detroit. It is insane in every respect and they spared no expense.

That said the seats are way narrower so much as to be uncomfortable if your a little on the puffy side like me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Went to three games in a row. Sat in 3 different areas. Had zero issue getting booze and going to the bathroom during the intermission. You just need to actually look. So many times the back of the bars had no one in them.

One thing I did notice was it's not that cold anymore in the building. Ice seemed fine as well

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad