Rogers Place:3: the search for perfection

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
The bathrooms are legitimately worse than Rexall.. And they're tiny. I was shocked to walk into one and see only two stalls My elementary school had bigger bathrooms

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sorry , didn't want to burst your bubble, and I really hope things have changed and you have a great time. But when a place is lacking and is then replaced by something else, but by the same people, it leaves one to wonder if there will be much improvement, or if it will lapse into the same issues as the previous model.

For the record, I ate at the curve twice. The first time the food was so bad, we received the meal for free (and the manager who saw our food agreed with us 100 %, and was very good about it). The other time, it was reasonably good, but the appies were the best part of it by far. Getting a drink during intermission required a special type of intervention most times. Sitting at a table and firstly, waiting for a server, and then again, waiting for the drink to arrive, usually took the better part of the break. And if you decided to dive in and go directly to the bar, there were likely only 2 servers and about 30-40 people in front of you waiting to get something. Poorly run, and inadequately staffed. I truly hope they may have learned a thing or 3 about service and quality and incorporate it into the next offering. From what I understand, there are now extra charges offered for things like holding a table for you, etc. Sounds a bit like a money grab to me.

Was awesome. Food was great, a little slow getting us our beers but they were packed. The new ambience rocks, and was packed the entire game and post game. Will see if just an opening night thing but never seen Curve this busy ever and once the game started Curve was deserted. The pre and post game being done live from there really adds to it.

They also don’t charge to hold a table. It’s a package you buy with your dinner that includes drinks pre ordered and waiting at your table along with your choice of food for both intermissions. Can take your beers out with you as well along with popcorn and some candy. Was great really and reasonabley priced. Place was hopping all night. Lots of fun.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
And you are correct.

Thank God. The Oilers will never learn how to do a seasons opener. It was a 7 minute f***ing Ford commercial. Boring with what was another stupid monologue and the skate out of the bridge was laughable. So happy that ridiculous bridge is gone. Next year they will skate out onto a bike lane or an LRT crossing.

However the new goal song (Hell Yeah by Rev Theory) is awesome and what I voted for. Seemed to me they don’t have as many in game commercials with Ryan Jesperson screaming his face off as much. The music was way better, heavy metal and hard rock classics. The Vegas style drum and marching band was meh. Overall a better in game experience than last year. Keep Jesperson muzzled and the heavy metal going and I’m happy.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
We Edmontonians tend to be a bit insecure about our city not being a world-class city. Making a such a big deal out of a tiny, over-cost, over-due bridge isn't a good way to change people's minds on that. Glad its not coming back.

Reactions: guymez and nabob

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Phew. Thank goodness that bridge wasn't going to be permanent eh? It had the potential to ruin our entire season with guys physically skating out from it before every home game.

It would have ruined the entire night for folks after they seen it. Probably lower morale and have the players play worse as well.

What a terrible effect a prop would have on everything.

They could skate out of a fake butt hole for all I care. As long as they play well.

#calmdownFFS

Reactions: madmutter

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We Edmontonians tend to be a bit insecure about our city not being a world-class city. Making a such a big deal out of a tiny, over-cost, over-due bridge isn't a good way to change people's minds on that. Glad its not coming back.

Not to mention that the team had to walk all the way to the back of the arena just to go through it.
Such a lame idea IMO.
I hope its gone...never to be seen again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Oilers saw me compare the bridge to Spinal Taps Stonehenge. Panic ensued, welders got paid OT, and it was a mobile hot dog stand before anybody knew what happened.

Thank me...;)

lol at Koskinen bending over on the skate through under the bridge. I don't think he had too, but it was hilarious seeing that, like he'd been reading online comments..

jk aside but this thing got universally panned. Everybody disliked it. Was it really just going to be for one game?

Guymez mentioned above the team had to walk through a different area to get through this bridge. Is it a case that they constructed the thing and then realized they could not position the damn thing at the usual ice entry? I wonder if that's the answer.

Seems to me odd that you would construct this for one game and dissemble it. Not that I'm unhappy...

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ice? No, not the ice in your drinks. What was with the ice? This was bad slow ice from the start. This seemed to contribute to half the game being scoreless as teams and players had trouble making the kind of plays they were making in Boston just a week ago.

Lots of pucks bouncing but lots of pucks dying too. Try a deke or stickhandling and you just lost the puck. This limited even McGod himself for the majority of the game. It was realy hard to score 5 on 5 in this game and difficult to get separation or first stride acceleration.

You would think they have the icemaking down pat in the new facility by now. The only event has been The Fuhr documentary. No reason for the ice to be this bad.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Ice? No, not the ice in your drinks. What was with the ice? This was bad slow ice from the start. This seemed to contribute to half the game being scoreless as teams and players had trouble making the kind of plays they were making in Boston just a week ago.

Lots of pucks bouncing but lots of pucks dying too. Try a deke or stickhandling and you just lost the puck. This limited even McGod himself for the majority of the game. It was realy hard to score 5 on 5 in this game and difficult to get separation or first stride acceleration.

You would think they have the icemaking down pat in the new facility by now. The only event has been The Fuhr documentary. No reason for the ice to be this bad.

There was a noticeable patch of water behind the Oilers net for the first 5 minutes or so of the second period. I actually pointed it out to my friend during the game.

You're right that that's unacceptable in an NHL rink, especially a brand new one in a city like Edmonton.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The worst (best?) part about the bridge entrance was that it came out of the end-boards and the camera shot was head on, so the main aesthetic features of the bridge--its arch and wires--were barely discernable, not to mention only a small portion of the bridge protruded onto the ice. It looked like the players were simply skating out of a fancy, modern garden arbor. It was ridiculous. If I hadn't known before hand that it was the Walterdale bridge, I wouldn't have known what it was.

No one screws up an already bad idea better than . . .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The Oilers in game entertainment people aren't as bad as the Anaheim in game entertainment people however. For a place that is next door to Disneyland and a team brought in by Disney you'd think they would have that part of it nailed. The in game entertainment and experience is baaaaad, beyond bush league and on the main concourse there are people trying to sell time share condos by the lower bowl entrances and bathroom lineups that boggle the mind. Then there is Barclays Center. Brutal. Phoenix is bad. We dont have it as bad as many want to make out in Rogers.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
To me, the bridge was perfectly innocuous, better than a blowup advertube for the players to skate out from underneath but glad it won't be part of regular game day. For the record, I am glad the derrick didn't move into the new building. The in game entertainment is definitely meh but usually doesn't impact me, though I will say I appreciate the brass band (not for their skill but for the ability to hold a conversation without shouting over some top-40 hit).

In general, the biggest problem is the lack of replays. You have this great screen and you don't get to see why a penalty was called against your team.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
In general, the biggest problem is the lack of replays. You have this great screen and you don't get to see why a penalty was called against your team.

I agree a 100%, it's asinine. Obviously the big screen fan interaction is predetermined. Someone higher up needs to make the call "hey we know its kid Plinko time but lets at least show the reply that 18000 + fans are yearning for"

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wish they would muzzle Ryan Jesperson. I hate getting screamed at by him 5 times a period. Sadly our fans are trained now like Pavlovs Dog and get more excited about a f***ing t shirt toss than a goal.
They had the 7 minute boring Ford commercial to open the game again and apparently try to get the fans excited. Heres an idea. Show the video they show in the 2nd intermission that actually gets people pumped up, with fights, hits, goals and great music.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad