Somewhere on Uranus
previous threads

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2121695&page=40
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2129521

Unread
Yesterday, 11:37 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
I think Garth Brooks is a phenomenal artist, nice, charitable guy, and has set the bar for shows here with 9 consecutive sellouts over a couple weeks. But they shouldn't be putting up a banner for him next to the hockey guys. Ridiculous. Put a big pic of him performing here on one of the many vacant wall spaces and stick a plaque beside it, commemorating his record shows, and leave more spaces available for other big acts who come through. Leave the banners for the primary tenants who are there 9 months/year. If he discovers a cure for cancer, put a statue of him outside city hall.

Unread
Today, 12:03 AM
McPuritania
Kassian for Mayor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
Not really to be honest. Message boards tend to have extreme reactions to little things.
People on message boards also have a tendency to use hyperbole to describe opinions that differ from their own.

btw
Garth Brooks given two cars away made news here in the UK

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And here is the best part of the announcement.

"Garth Brooks and Ticketmaster have been working together for more than twenty years to ensure tickets get into the hands of real fans."
Nothing against Brooks, but, TM getting tickets into the hands of real fans?:laugh::laugh::laugh::shakehead

Excuse me while I ****ing laugh. Guess that's why when a show sells out in 15 minutes, about 10,000 tickets show up immediately after on places like Stubhub for triple the price.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

"Garth Brooks and Ticketmaster have been working together for more than twenty years to ensure tickets get into the hands of real fans."
Nothing against Brooks, but, TM getting tickets into the hands of real fans?:laugh::laugh::laugh::shakehead

Excuse me while I ****ing laugh. Guess that's why when a show sells out in 15 minutes, about 10,000 tickets show up immediately after on places like Stubhub for triple the price.

You mean like how he suppressed his prices and announced 9 ****ing shows here to make sure everyone had a shot and took away some power from the scalpers?

Yeah, he's sure done absolutely nothing to help. Get real.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
In a way, Garth Brooks is OUR 7th fan.

I don't care it they raise a photo of a donkey. Just enjoy the humour of it.

joeyboy15

Jul 5, 2015
Honestly his shows have been louder than any Oiler game in the last 11 years. It's a banner, I don't see anyone complaining about the numerous corporate sponsor logos spread all over the bowls and surface. Give it a rest.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but did Rod Phillips strap on the blades and carry the Oilers to a cup? No, he sat in a booth and called games via radio. Yet because he called Oilers games the banners fine to you all. This arena isn't a building for solely Oilers hockey games, There is 320 other days that need to bring in ticket sales and Garth filled 9 of them when he could have came for 1 and went home.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Honestly his shows have been louder than any Oiler game in the last 11 years. It's a banner, I don't see anyone complaining about the numerous corporate sponsor logos spread all over the bowls and surface. Give it a rest.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but did Rod Phillips strap on the blades and carry the Oilers to a cup? No, he sat in a booth and called games via radio. Yet because he called Oilers games the banners fine to you all. This arena isn't a building for solely Oilers hockey games, There is 320 other days that need to bring in ticket sales and Garth filled 9 of them when he could have came for 1 and went home.

You do know Rod Phillips was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame based on those games he called on the radio while sitting in the booth, right? Using him as an example of other people not deserving banners isn't the right way to go, which, even though you say you're not trying to say, is exactly what you're doing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You do know Rod Phillips was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame based on those games he called on the radio while sitting in the booth, right? Using him as an example of other people not deserving banners isn't the right way to go, which, even though you say you're not trying to say, is exactly what you're doing.

Yeah the Rod Philips comparison just doesn't wash. Rod was and is a part of Oiler history and for many people he was the voice of Oiler hockey for decades.
Selling out 9 concerts...nice week of work but in the overall scheme of things....big whoop.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Nevermind Stubhub. TM had/has it's own resale site & was accused of scalping their own tickets & had to refund people, including myself, when the Eagles were in town in 2007 or 2008.

It's a joke for anybody to say that TM has been doing anything to prevent scalping when the exact opposite is true.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I get the backlash on the banner here, but do people realize that rogers isn't just an oilers facility? The city is using this rink to kick start the city again. Garth Brooks is an iconic music artist, a legend in a few more years I'd bet, selling out 9 shows in one city is huge for Rogers place and the city. Hanging it with the hockey banners is a little odd I'll give you that, but I can imagine it's not the last we will see. Rogers is an entertainment facility the city is going to use this banner as a starter showing that it can pull everyone downtown as an attraction for things other then hockey

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
I get the backlash on the banner here, but do people realize that rogers isn't just an oilers facility? The city is using this rink to kick start the city again. Garth Brooks is an iconic music artist, a legend in a few more years I'd bet, selling out 9 shows in one city is huge for Rogers place and the city. Hanging it with the hockey banners is a little odd I'll give you that, but I can imagine it's not the last we will see. Rogers is an entertainment facility the city is going to use this banner as a starter showing that it can pull everyone downtown as an attraction for things other then hockey

^^^^^^What he said!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

It's not that that ticks me off and many others. It's the fact it's NEXT to the Oilers and Oil Kimgs Championship banners. THAT'S the issue. If it was way in the back in a different location, no one would care. But standing next to a Stanley Cup banner? Come on...:shakehead

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I'm pretty sure there's a banner up in MSG for Billy Joel as well fwiw...

Not really the same because Billy Joel is a permanent resident of MSG. He's been playing monthly shows there for over three years and I don't think he's planning on stopping them any time soon. Not to mention he's also a native New Yorker.

That's a much bigger deal than a guy from Oklahoma coming into town and doing 9 shows over a week.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Looks like we aren't so "Saskatoon" after all.....

MSG banners:
2568993332_895321440b.jpg

Barclay banner:
A-q9aC0CAAEArQ0.jpg

http://boards.****************/topic/103745-rappers-not-rockers-in-unis-and-logo-related-stuff/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not really the same because Billy Joel is a permanent resident of MSG. He's been playing monthly shows there for over three years and I don't think he's planning on stopping them any time soon. Not to mention he's also a native New Yorker.

That's a much bigger deal than a guy from Oklahoma coming into town and doing 9 shows over a week.

Excellent point.

WoolyWhatsIt

Jul 28, 2009
Went to Garth tonight....FWIW The banner Is no where near any of the Oilers banners. It's near the Oil Kings banners closer to centre ice.

News flash: there WILL be more banners going to the rafters. Lots of place beside Garth!

joeyboy15

Jul 5, 2015

Well lets get Matheson and Jones up there too then while were at it. Put a nice little newspaper symbol up there.
Btw read Jones article about it, get off the internet for a while and take a breather. The point was this isn't the Oilers as a hockey teams building. Its the Oilers "Entertainment" Group's, and what do artists provide? That's right, entertainment. I wouldn't expect any less of an arguement from a message board where people talk nothing but hockey in their free time though.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
It's not that that ticks me off and many others. It's the fact it's NEXT to the Oilers and Oil Kimgs Championship banners. THAT'S the issue. If it was way in the back in a different location, no one would care. But standing next to a Stanley Cup banner? Come on...:shakehead

Unless they moved it yesterday, it is nowhere close to the Oilers banners.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The GB banner deserves to be in the new arena. But not with the Oilers HofF and championships. That's not worthy of a feat. It's almost degrading. Maybe in the Ford Hall if its sole purpose to attract more business to the city of Edmonton

Domino1

Aug 5, 2007

Perhaps there should be a Daryl Katz banner....he has done more for downtown than any singular person has in years. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
You mean like how he suppressed his prices and announced 9 ****ing shows here to make sure everyone had a shot and took away some power from the scalpers?

Yeah, he's sure done absolutely nothing to help. Get real.

I am real, but you need to start to learn to read. I said, "nothing against Brooks". It's TM I have the problem with.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah the Rod Philips comparison just doesn't wash. Rod was and is a part of Oiler history and for many people he was the voice of Oiler hockey for decades.
Selling out 9 concerts...nice week of work but in the overall scheme of things....big whoop.

Voice of the Oilers in a time when many of the games weren't available on tv. For many fans he was their only connection to the team.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Voice of the Oilers in a time when many of the games weren't available on tv. For many fans he was their only connection to the team.

Thats so true.
Back in the day a lot of the games weren't televised. I remember being in my first car and driving from Capilano to Strathern so I could park in full view of the skyline and sit (eating my Peanut Buster Parfait :D) and listen to Rod call a game and then John Short afterwards.
It was a good escape for the occasional evening and nobody called a game like Rod. He had a way of drawing you into the game...good memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad