Rogers Place:3: the search for perfection

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Went to three games in a row. Sat in 3 different areas. Had zero issue getting booze and going to the bathroom during the intermission. You just need to actually look. So many times the back of the bars had no one in them.

One thing I did notice was it's not that cold anymore in the building. Ice seemed fine as well

A huge issue people have is not knowing which washrooms are the big ones. I actually go past the closest mens washroom to one further down because it's 3x the size. I'm through and back way faster then if I waited around for the small one by my section.

Agree that I now have no issues using the washroom, getting beer/food, chatting with people I run into and getting back to my seat on time.

I might be in the minority but I would be totally fine with the rink being a bit cold and having good ice. I feel like it's part of the hockey experience but I guess people want comfort.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A huge issue people have is not knowing which washrooms are the big ones. I actually go past the closest mens washroom to one further down because it's 3x the size. I'm through and back way faster then if I waited around for the small one by my section.

Agree that I now have no issues using the washroom, getting beer/food, chatting with people I run into and getting back to my seat on time.

I might be in the minority but I would be totally fine with the rink being a bit cold and having good ice. I feel like it's part of the hockey experience but I guess people want comfort.

But how far are "the big ones" from where a person sits? And if you need to go during intermission, how long will it take you to get to the hallowed place, with about 5000 people to navigate through?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Hate to say it but the best barn is the new arena in Detroit. It is insane in every respect and they spared no expense.

That said the seats are way narrower so much as to be uncomfortable if your a little on the puffy side like me.

I also like Las Vegas's better than Rogers. I have some friends who prefer others as well that are older.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
But how far are "the big ones" from where a person sits? And if you need to go during intermission, how long will it take you to get to the hallowed place, with about 5000 people to navigate through?

You need to check out a few other rinks around the league, most that I have been to are worse than Rogers when it comes to bathroom and concession lines.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I also like Las Vegas's better than Rogers. I have some friends who prefer others as well that are older.

Yeah that is a nice rink as well. Went to one of their playoff games vs San Jose last year and it was nuts, as was the Oilers game I was at down there.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Anyone here been to Studio 99? Going for the first time next week, is the buffet the way to go?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Anyone here been to Studio 99? Going for the first time next week, is the buffet the way to go?

I’ve been there many times and the buffet is the only way to go as they don’t do anything else. It’s pretty good. There are two tables of food, a long main one and a carvery station. Also a dessert table but the offerings there are minimal.

Reactions: Oildrum

Simby

Oct 11, 2016
I’ve been there many times and the buffet is the only way to go as they don’t do anything else. It’s pretty good. There are two tables of food, a long main one and a carvery station. Also a dessert table but the offerings there are minimal.

Everyone I've known that has gone to Studio 99 has only gone once due to the price/value and the quality/selection of the food.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Everyone I've known that has gone to Studio 99 has only gone once due to the price/value and the quality/selection of the food.

I have to admit the last time we went there was about 2 months ago we were pretty disappointed. I went quite a bit earlier in the year prior to January due to convenience which I like and it was always good. It is priced on the high side at $45 per person. We started hitting other restaurants on the way to the game now but I travel a lot in Jan - Mar so I don't go to many games that time of year.

If the Oilers wanted to do it right they need to visit Florida and their Center Ice Club or whatever they call it. Their buffet is out of this world first class. Its included in the ticket price like the Sportsnet Club only you're in the best seats in the house rather than the worst seats in the house and the price is cheaper, and included drinks, including wine, beer, hi balls and cocktails.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I have to admit the last time we went there was about 2 months ago we were pretty disappointed. I went quite a bit earlier in the year prior to January due to convenience which I like and it was always good. It is priced on the high side at $45 per person. We started hitting other restaurants on the way to the game now but I travel a lot in Jan - Mar so I don't go to many games that time of year.

If the Oilers wanted to do it right they need to visit Florida and their Center Ice Club or whatever they call it. Their buffet is out of this world first class. Its included in the ticket price like the Sportsnet Club only you're in the best seats in the house rather than the worst seats in the house and the price is cheaper, and included drinks, including wine, beer, hi balls and cocktails.
Kats and the OEG doesn't give a shit about a quality experience in ANYTHING they do. They simply rape and pillage and extract as much from their clientele as much as they can. Its obvious in everything they do. So good luck with getting the Florida experience.
On another note, I know quite a few people in the construction industry. To a man, they all say that its incredible how much the Oilers cheaped out in virtually everything relating to Rogers place.
I guess you get what you deserve, but its too bad since the taxpayers of Edmonton paid for it.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Kats and the OEG doesn't give a **** about a quality experience in ANYTHING they do. They simply rape and pillage and extract as much from their clientele as much as they can. Its obvious in everything they do. So good luck with getting the Florida experience.
On another note, I know quite a few people in the construction industry. To a man, they all say that its incredible how much the Oilers cheaped out in virtually everything relating to Rogers place.
I guess you get what you deserve, but its too bad since the taxpayers of Edmonton paid for it.
Well they had a budget that's why they cheaped out. There were a lot of things that were scaled back after they the costs started coming in.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Well they had a budget that's why they cheaped out. There were a lot of things that were scaled back after they the costs started coming in.

Exactly this.

The city would only approve this deal if cost could come down to a certain level.

Some of the things that were scrapped due to the cut-backs were the zinc siding, the sky mezzanine, and the quality of the surface flooring on the concourse levels.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Exactly this.

The city would only approve this deal if cost could come down to a certain level.

Some of the things that were scrapped due to the cut-backs were the zinc siding, the sky mezzanine, and the quality of the surface flooring on the concourse levels.
Of course Katz being the defacto owner could have actually ponied up to get these things done, but Katz being Katz at the public trough , no chance he was going to pay for it.

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

Is studio 99 better or worse than the old All-stars at Rexall (for those who knew about that buffet)?

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Personally I find it 100 times better.

Thank you!

I worked at Rexall during the 06/07 season and ended up there helping out with the bartending duties. I thought the spreads there looked pretty good (not that I ate the food - they could be pretty draconian about making sure uneaten food was thrown in the garbage). So I am definitely curious to see what Studio 99 will be like when I go on April 4th with my STH partner.

PS - the people I worked with up there made the overall experience working at Rexall and for the Oilers worth it. Otherwise it was a pretty garbage environment to be involved with.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Thank you!

I worked at Rexall during the 06/07 season and ended up there helping out with the bartending duties. I thought the spreads there looked pretty good (not that I ate the food - they could be pretty draconian about making sure uneaten food was thrown in the garbage). So I am definitely curious to see what Studio 99 will be like when I go on April 4th with my STH partner.

PS - the people I worked with up there made the overall experience working at Rexall and for the Oilers worth it. Otherwise it was a pretty garbage environment to be involved with.

Yep. I remember those days. I worked at Northlands and the boss I had (French guy names Gilbert) made sure that all food extra food was tossed. When one of the co workers suggested giving it to a local homeless shelter--he looked at her like she was nuts

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Thank you!

Why was that??

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Why was that??

A lot of pettiness from staff - both workers and management. One thing they tried to implement was sharing of tips but established workers refused. Then they'd make the new hires do all the little jobs so not to lose out on their precious tips.

A friend asked me to get him a job there and his partner refused to share her bottle opener with just so he could try it out. She wasn't even using it and it was the middle of the period.

Most ofthe alcohol servers loved the help because all their regulars went to them and tipped and everyone who didn't went to the new people.

The money was maybe okay - less so up at All-stars but at least they were good people.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Of course Katz being the defacto owner could have actually ponied up to get these things done, but Katz being Katz at the public trough , no chance he was going to pay for it.
Why did he need to waste money on zinc siding, flooring, sky mezzanine?

I also heard they cheaped out on fixtures in the bathrooms and lights, but how in the hell does that effect anything?

The quality of the experience has nothing to do with them cheaping out on the building. I highly doubt the Florida arena that was built damn near 20 years earlier has better accessories.

It's all about the in game atmosphere that lacks in Edmonton. That has nothing to do with the building itself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad