News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
this is hilarious.
my dad made a facebook group "Bring Back Ron Maclean"

only got 57 members but i guess it worked

Huz416

Jan 30, 2016
Toronto
For some reason, I was expecting another announcement today that they poached some TSN guys, lol.

One can only dream....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe they will stop Americanizing the show. Canada pioneered how hockey games should be broadcast and the idiots at Rogers tried to bastardize us. They tried to steal from US sports and churned out a dud product.

K.I.S.S

Whatever you guys at Rogers tried to do... Turn around and undo it.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Hopefully they dismantle the "puck wall" too and get rid of the pointless and boring stick and goal demonstrations by Kypreos and Hrudey. I'm thrilled Strombo is gone. He just never fit and was a distraction. I'm actually sorry to see Healy go. I didn't always agree with him but at least he wasn't afraid to speak his mind. Millard should go too. I continue to be amazed at how Marek is so under-utilized by Sportsnet.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
So happy that loser Healy is gone. He's a condescending *******. I hope he never gets a job again

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hopefully they dismantle the "puck wall" too and get rid of the pointless and boring stick and goal demonstrations by Kypreos and Hrudey. I'm thrilled Strombo is gone. He just never fit and was a distraction. I'm actually sorry to see Healy go. I didn't always agree with him but at least he wasn't afraid to speak his mind. Millard should go too. I continue to be amazed at how Marek is so under-utilized by Sportsnet.

Exactly! What the heck is that?! Next it's going to be the Tornado camera or camera shake when it gets loud! It's Hockey for crying out loud. What do you honestly have to do to hockey to hype it up?

How to Hockey...

1) Have good Camera angles
2) Have good Cameramen
3) Have informed Host (Ron)
4) Make sure the person(s) calling the game does it with feeling and passion! Scout for new talent (You're running thin!)
5) No flashy walls, just elegant well placed and useful displays
6) Out of town scores! They are still great to see!
7) More clips from around the league focusing on rivals! We love and hate to see this stuff! It brings emotions back to the table.
9) Shot speed mentions
10) Player speed mentions
11) Constructive criticism, less bashing and negative connotations overall!

Give me money for saving your show and fire your consultants and over producers! Go figure the answers to your problems are readily available free in the public domain.

PS. Just because your camera can fly around the arena, it doesn't mean it's a good angle for watching hockey. You could experiment with a wider viewing area so you capture more of the actual play with these new resolutions but that should be tested with... THE MARLIES!

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
They wanna make HNIC special, bring back Joe Bowen for Leafs games. He's a Canadian hockey treasure.

He's a good Leaf fan and PBP guy, but I wouldn't call him a Canadian hockey treasure. Much more local.

Most Leaf things can translate nationally (or farther), but not this.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Millard asks the dumbest questions like he's a 12 year old girl.

Millard interviewing random hockey player: " tell me something about teammate X that nobody would ever know?

Hockey Player: " how the **** would I know Darren, **** off.

How'd he get missed? Surprised also even John Shannon gets to stay.. maybe next round of cuts.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Basically TSN has cornered the market on listenable hockey peeps.

Sportsnet will never be able to compete with them. The best they can do is get Joe Bowen on the play by play with Ralphy quick and hope Ron and Don and calm things down. They need knowledgable hockey coaches or ex players to do the intermission analysis as well. Enough with the newspaper guys.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Sportsnet will never be able to compete with them. The best they can do is get Joe Bowen on the play by play with Ralphy quick and hope Ron and Don and calm things down. They need knowledgable hockey coaches or ex players to do the intermission analysis as well. Enough with the newspaper guys.

Agreed. More guys like Mike Johnson. There's thousands of ex-players out there, I'm sure there's a few more guys who can figure it out.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

Like Kypreos? He's a moron.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
Cox was cardboard, Healy a negative whiner... couldn't stand either one... now if only Darren Dreger would disappear.
However I'd take all of them 24/7 over 30 secs of that waste of existence Steve Simmons any day.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
It's a shame Rogers hasn't reached out and hired Tim Thompson! He was such a big part of HNIC feel with his great montages.

Come on Rogers, hire him back!

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Who were the 8 that got fired

Glenn Healy, P.J. Stock, Billy Jaffe, Chantal Desjardins, Corey Hirsch and Leah Hextall were let go yesterday.

Damien Cox was moved to being McCown's full-time co-host on Prime Time Sports.

And, of course, George Stroumboulopoulos was replaced with Ron MacLean and won't be back.

Given the comments about Strombo leaving to explore new creative opportunities, it's possible that he wasn't fired at all. They may have offered him the chance to stay on in a reduced role but the decided to leave instead.

There were some behind the scenes people let go as well.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's a shame Rogers hasn't reached out and hired Tim Thompson! He was such a big part of HNIC feel with his great montages.

Come on Rogers, hire him back!

I still never understand what made people love those music montages so much. They always seemed like a waste of time to me.

Pete Dunham

Nov 8, 2015
Maybe they will stop Americanizing the show. Canada pioneered how hockey games should be broadcast and the idiots at Rogers tried to bastardize us. They tried to steal from US sports and churned out a dud product.

K.I.S.S

Whatever you guys at Rogers tried to do... Turn around and undo it.

At the end of the day Canadian teams need to start winning.

You can bring back how it used to be but if you ain't winning, ratings will drop.

Huz416

Jan 30, 2016
Toronto

My personal favourite.

Also, did anyone else notice how classy Ron was when they were interviewing him about getting to host again? He made every excuse in the book for Strombo, but that's the kind of guy Ron is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad