News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

ForSpareParts*

Rogers took 4 MASSIVE steps forward replacing Strombo with MacLean, shooting Healy into the sun and getting rid of Damien Cox and PJ Stock. Best moves they could have made, they finally listened to the people watching the games and got rid of the people everyone hated.

They took a few massive steps backwards by getting rid of Mike Johnson, he's the best analyst they had by a mile.

Hopefully they fix the awful camera angles they have been using and get rid of the sky cam.

One big problem they have though is that Jim Hughson is their #1 play by play guy and a lot of people don't like him.. Paul Romanuk is their #2 guy? and he's awful.

They really have no talent calling the games and analysts during the game in the booth.

This made my day.

LOL

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
So many massive change and still a lot of unhappiness on this board. It will be interesting to see if they alienated their core audience enough to keep them away if the Leafs do not show massive improvement. I know I kinda enjoyed going out and doing things on Saturday nights.

Still doubt things will get better if there isn't a major management shuffle at Rogers sports, as well. The best boss I ever had once told me, "Don't get mad at the worker, get mad at the guy who hired him."

Exactorman

Oct 10, 2015
I applaud Rogers effort. Something had to be done to try and stop the bleeding that is a shrinking television audience. ESPN and TSN know all too well the game has changed. If you want to capture the new generation, you have to change the way you deliver your content. I think the powers that be at Rogers know this.

ForSpareParts*

More: Doug Maclean (between periods) and Bob Cole
Less: Jim Hughson

plz

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I applaud Rogers effort. Something had to be done to try and stop the bleeding that is a shrinking television audience. ESPN and TSN know all too well the game has changed. If you want to capture the new generation, you have to change the way you deliver your content. I think the powers that be at Rogers know this.

this is true too. the broadcast has to evolve. But hnic HAS evolved over the years. Just go back 10 years to see how different it was then, or go back even 20 or 30 years - we can all see how it has evolved - but slowly and comfortably.

Not once did it flip upside down overnight like it did 2 years ago. That was a monstrosity of an error. WAY too much change in one single night. The new HNIC looked not at all familiar - not one bit. They destroyed the whole thing in one shot.

What should have happened was a slow, proper transition like it has been doing all these decades. Bring George in for the 2nd intermission so the fans get used to him being around first. Don't just plop him in the main chair and boot out the main host of 30 years - stupidity at its finest. And that's only the tip of the iceberg on what they did.

They have to reverse this mess, put it back where it was, and evolve it season-by-season, not overnight. This way there's no shock to the audience.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Rogers took 4 MASSIVE steps forward replacing Strombo with MacLean, shooting Healy into the sun and getting rid of Damien Cox and PJ Stock. Best moves they could have made, they finally listened to the people watching the games and got rid of the people everyone hated.

They took a few massive steps backwards by getting rid of Mike Johnson, he's the best analyst they had by a mile.

Hopefully they fix the awful camera angles they have been using and get rid of the sky cam.

One big problem they have though is that Jim Hughson is their #1 play by play guy and a lot of people don't like him.. Paul Romanuk is their #2 guy? and he's awful.

They really have no talent calling the games and analysts during the game in the booth.

I like the sky cam...a lot...but only when used properly (on the rush, basically). It feels like you're actually in the arena, as opposed to the steady cams.

It doesn't work well for zonal play and replays, though. They need to scale it back for sure. but it's one of the very few new things that Rogers has implemented since taking over that has been awesome.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If HNIC wanted to groom a younger host they could have gone with Marek & Maclean.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm still bitter that they let Chris Cuthbert go. He was Bob's heir apparent. Now we have Jim ****ing Hughson.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I'm about to bring up something insane...

it's so crazy, but in today's world, I see this as something that could actually be possible:

Years down the line, when a federal election is active: Ron MacClean as Prime Minister?

Now before you guys shoot me to death or fall on the floor laughing: hear this out:

We have Donald Trump as a serious contender for U.S.A. president. So if this is possible, then ANYTHING is possible--- right??? Trump is a comedy act, a joke, and always was. But for him to reach this point as near-President is proof that ANYONE can get there.

Ron MacClean has a shiny, pristine and crystal-clear reputation in Canada- he's the Head of HNIC, and whats even better, he was RE-ELECTED by the Canadian public to be put back in there after he was bumped by George 2 years ago. His stock is so freaking high right now. That is HUGE. Comapred to Trump, or Trudeau, or Harper, MacLean is a GOD in Canada. This should be agreed upon by the masses in general.

So. Later on down the line. A decade maybe.

Could Ron MacClean be so nationally popular that they would put him in there to help attract the majority of votes for whatever party he's part of?? Canada has full faith in this man - I honestly believe this is something he could pull off if the right political party would hire him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this idea has already been looked at.

I understand that this will attract a large amount of funny and insulting replies, and thats cool. But I'll wait for the replies that are mature and insightful. Because if Trump is this close to president- then how can anyone say MacClean couldn't be the same for Canada???

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
???

Your right. Trump's saga does indeed tell me anything is possible. You could have worse candidates. So what are some of the issues and platforms he would run under...

1. "An annual rotating national capital city based on Hockeyville results." Why stay with one boring city as the nerve centre of our nation, let Peterborough or Kamloops pass bills and host world leaders for a change. Or just switch it to Red Deer.

2. Canadian Senators would be made up entirely of former Ottawa Senators hockey players (regardless of their nationality)

3. Don Cherry would be appointed Speaker of the House because nobody could get a word in edgewise anyway.

4. To stop unwanted illegal immigration into the Country, vast seas would be built on 3 sides of the country forcing them out to the south and into America.

5. He would make "Canada Grapes again"

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
There is a commercial on right now with Ron describing how special Saturday nights feel in comparison to weekday games. Its a great commercial. My guess is Rogers saw the complaints about how Saturdays just felt like a normal Wednesday and are possibly trying to change it back. Ron was a nice start.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Hughson has a great voice, but for me he represents the Canucks and their 2011 Cup run. I hate the Canucks and was heavily cheering against them all playoffs.

I think the equivalent for Canucks fans would be if Joe Bowen did the national games.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hey guys long time lurker first time poster.

I think Healy gone is the biggest and best news to come out of this. His smug smarmy leaf hate really made games hard to watch for me. Even on the very rare occasion he had something insightful to say i found myself annoyed just from his voice.

As for Hughson 100% agree with above about leaf hate/canuck love.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
There is a commercial on right now with Ron describing how special Saturday nights feel in comparison to weekday games. Its a great commercial. My guess is Rogers saw the complaints about how Saturdays just felt like a normal Wednesday and are possibly trying to change it back. Ron was a nice start.

do you have a link where we can watch the video? I'd love to see it

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Wait, Mike Johnson is gone? I really liked him, he was a great analyst and easy to listen to.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
The only downside so far of Healy being removed is Craig Simpson now has more time to make his inane points ('confidence', 'hard team to play against', 'the hallmark of a young player' etc)...

He and Hughson pick two or three themes for a game, then harp on them all night long, unless/until one of the teams stages a comeback, then they completely flip and start contradicting themselves for the rest of the night. :help:

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012

it's so crazy, but in today's world, I see this as something that could actually be possible:

Years down the line, when a federal election is active: Ron MacClean as Prime Minister?

Now before you guys shoot me to death or fall on the floor laughing: hear this out:

We have Donald Trump as a serious contender for U.S.A. president. So if this is possible, then ANYTHING is possible--- right??? Trump is a comedy act, a joke, and always was. But for him to reach this point as near-President is proof that ANYONE can get there.

Ron MacClean has a shiny, pristine and crystal-clear reputation in Canada- he's the Head of HNIC, and whats even better, he was RE-ELECTED by the Canadian public to be put back in there after he was bumped by George 2 years ago. His stock is so freaking high right now. That is HUGE. Comapred to Trump, or Trudeau, or Harper, MacLean is a GOD in Canada. This should be agreed upon by the masses in general.

So. Later on down the line. A decade maybe.

Could Ron MacClean be so nationally popular that they would put him in there to help attract the majority of votes for whatever party he's part of?? Canada has full faith in this man - I honestly believe this is something he could pull off if the right political party would hire him. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this idea has already been looked at.

I understand that this will attract a large amount of funny and insulting replies, and thats cool. But I'll wait for the replies that are mature and insightful. Because if Trump is this close to president- then how can anyone say MacClean couldn't be the same for Canada???

Absolutely in the realm of possibilities. Btw, Mac_CLEAN_? :D Politics is largely about popularity and notability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad