News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
It's obvious Rogers was trying to make the transition from HNIC/CBC to Rogers as the defacto home for hockey in the eyes of Canadians. They may one day be successful, however Canadian hockey fans have so far rejected them.

Let's face it. In the eyes of the majority of Canadians, they see Rogers as a giant greedy and untrustworthy company. I'm willing to bet 95% of fans on this site alone also see it that way. If Rogers wasn't in the business of screwing over their customers every time their monthly bill comes in, then maybe it would be different.

And now that they barged in and made a complete mockery of HNIC, their reputation is even worse.

How can they recover from this sort of reputation? No one likes or respects the company at all, simply because of their negative practices with their customer base. It'll take a decade for them to re-gain public trust, and by then their deal will be done.

Run a poll. It'll be easy to find out that their reputation is in the dumpster with most Canadians. This is another reason why they might crash and burn over this whole NHL deal.

Hw about the instrusive and repetitive Rogers ads during every commercial break- it's already bad enough as it is now, they probably run 50 Rogers commercials per broadcast. It's only going to get worse. Man, does it ever just suck that they got the rights.

And oh yeah, just wait for the next 2 years- when they are no longer broadcasting hockey on the CBC.

What will happen with "Hockey Night In Canada"? CBC owns that name, so Rogers won't be using it.

Get ready for "Rogers Saturday Night Hockey"

And no it isn't a joke.. it's a very likely scenario

Things are about to take an even bigger nosedive, folks

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Let's face it. In the eyes of the majority of Canadians, they see Rogers as a giant greedy and untrustworthy company. I'm willing to bet 95% of fans on this site alone also see it that way. If Rogers wasn't in the business of screwing over their customers every time their monthly bill comes in, then maybe it would be different.

And now that they barged in and made a complete mockery of HNIC, their reputation is even worse.

How can they recover from this sort of reputation? No one likes or respects the company at all, simply because of their negative practices with their customer base. It'll take a decade for them to re-gain public trust, and by then their deal will be done.

Run a poll. It'll be easy to find out that their reputation is in the dumpster with most Canadians. This is another reason why they might crash and burn over this whole NHL deal.

Hw about the instrusive and repetitive Rogers ads during every commercial break- it's already bad enough as it is now, they probably run 50 Rogers commercials per broadcast. It's only going to get worse. Man, does it ever just suck that they got the rights.

And oh yeah, just wait for the next 2 years- when they are no longer broadcasting hockey on the CBC.

What will happen with "Hockey Night In Canada"? CBC owns that name, so Rogers won't be using it.

I actually have a bit of faith, not much, but a bit. They along with Bell did give Shanahan the green light to blow it all up, and build it back up again. When they were ruled by the OTPP, there was no chance in hell they would've let that happen.

The CBC is crap. They're government leeches that have put out little to no programming worth watching. When they were called out on having to pay some owed money to the original composer of the HNIC theme song, they just dropped the song and said "too much legal red tape". Low and behold, not even weeks later, TSN paid the individual for the rights to use the song. It wasn't about red tape, the CBC was cheap, and greedy, because they have no idea what they are doing. They rely on government handouts to keep going.

Rogers tried getting more young people to watch hockey, and somehow thought Strombo was a good idea, when all the guy is, is a "yes man". He failed, Ron's back, all is good.

Rogers got the broadcasting rights from the NHL, because they ponied up the dough. They also split ownership of the Leafs with Bell. Of course they're going to run their ads during a prime slot. They've already forked out millions, if not billions, they want to drum up some business.

Is the future golden? Not likely. A lot of this world is going to crap quick. If you're implying they're somehow going to be incredibly worse than the CBC, I think you're taking it a bit too far. The CBC was only as good as it was, because of taxpayer funding. When you cut that, they honestly have no leg to stand on. Other networks have figured out how to pull it off themselves.

247Leafs

Jul 28, 2016
Rogers took 4 MASSIVE steps forward replacing Strombo with MacLean, shooting Healy into the sun and getting rid of Damien Cox and PJ Stock. Best moves they could have made, they finally listened to the people watching the games and got rid of the people everyone hated.

They took a few massive steps backwards by getting rid of Mike Johnson, he's the best analyst they had by a mile.

Hopefully they fix the awful camera angles they have been using and get rid of the sky cam.

One big problem they have though is that Jim Hughson is their #1 play by play guy and a lot of people don't like him.. Paul Romanuk is their #2 guy? and he's awful.

They really have no talent calling the games and analysts during the game in the booth.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rogers took 4 MASSIVE steps forward replacing Strombo with MacLean, shooting Healy into the sun and getting rid of Damien Cox and PJ Stock. Best moves they could have made, they finally listened to the people watching the games and got rid of the people everyone hated.

They took a few massive steps backwards by getting rid of Mike Johnson, he's the best analyst they had by a mile.

Hopefully they fix the awful camera angles they have been using and get rid of the sky cam.

One big problem they have though is that Jim Hughson is their #1 play by play guy and a lot of people don't like him.. Paul Romanuk is their #2 guy? and he's awful.

They really have no talent calling the games and analysts during the game in the booth.

The problem is clearly at the top. The decision maker at Rogers Sports (his name escapes me, heck they might have even replaced him) is one of the biggest idiots out there still living in the 80's.

The_Puck_Hog

Oct 30, 2003
Visit site

I agree. Jim Hughson is a huge homer ! Perhaps being a homer wouldn't be as bad if he was a Leaf homer instead of a Canucks homer. His dislike for the Leafs is evident during most broadcasts, especially when we play Vancouver. He cuts up Leaf play whenever he gets the chance, although last year wasn't quite as bad as previous years. However, I do have to admit, I do like when a nice goal is scored and he says, "Beauty !"

I'm not sure who they could get to replace Hughson, but I have never been much of a fan of the, "Sedin Twin lover." Healy on the other hand seem to improve last year over the previous year.

One of the best play by play announcers, even though he is a HUGE homer, is Rick Jeanneret (WGR AM 550). He is funny and highly entertaining.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGhTszcS3s

Macman

May 15, 2004
The CBC is crap. They're government leeches that have put out little to no programming worth watching. When they were called out on having to pay some owed money to the original composer of the HNIC theme song, they just dropped the song and said "too much legal red tape". Low and behold, not even weeks later, TSN paid the individual for the rights to use the song. It wasn't about red tape, the CBC was cheap, and greedy, because they have no idea what they are doing. They rely on government handouts to keep going.

You call the CBC government leeches, then call them cheap for not spending more of that government money on the HNIC theme song. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wait I must have missed that. How does Mike Johnson get let go - but they keep Paul Romanuck?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You call the CBC government leeches, then call them cheap for not spending more of that government money on the HNIC theme song. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

:laugh:

not to mention, that's not what happened. in the slightest. but it's okay.
Canadian Gold was a great replacement anyway.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007

The original deal was for Rogers to broadcast games on CBC via HNIC for the first 4 years. And I don't believe that has changed (yet). With that said, it would not surprise me if that was extended past 4 years. The original reason Rogers wanted CBC in the picture was because they can reach more viewers in the country than Rogers over the air/non-cable station (City TV). Unless City TV's reach has improved drastically I would not expect to see CBC out of the picture. It would be suicidal for ratings for Rogers to cut them off.

Wendel17

Aug 21, 2007
Wait I must have missed that. How does Mike Johnson get let go - but they keep Paul Romanuck?

I don't get that either. Who did he peeve off? Because that's the only thing I can think of as to why he is gone. He was their best colour man. I'm sure TSN will gladly pick him up. I'd love to hear him and Chris Cuthbert call all Leafs games on TSN next year.

Macman

May 15, 2004

Johnson's departure makes no sense to me either. I like him, but maybe it wasn't Sportnet's choice. He also works for the NHL Network. Maybe his role is expanding there or maybe he just wanted too much from Sportsnet.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Johnson's departure makes no sense to me either. I like him, but maybe it wasn't Sportnet's choice. He also works for the NHL Network. Maybe his role is expanding there or maybe he just wanted too much from Sportsnet.

maaaybeee. but i know that the NHL Network kind of just.. uses everyone (not in a bad sense, but like Bob, Craig etc also work for the NHL network) - i don't know specifically what they do but maybe they just service the USA side of hockey and that's why i don't know if the role expanded.

but really, that sucks. I liked him and much better than Gally.

which means we're having Romanuck and Gally for like all the games? :(
if i could handle the delay i'd video + radio it, but i can't.

BuSaPuNk

Jan 21, 2010
maaaybeee. but i know that the NHL Network kind of just.. uses everyone (not in a bad sense, but like Bob, Craig etc also work for the NHL network) - i don't know specifically what they do but maybe they just service the USA side of hockey and that's why i don't know if the role expanded.

but really, that sucks. I liked him and much better than Gally.

which means we're having Romanuck and Gally for like all the games? :(
if i could handle the delay i'd video + radio it, but i can't.

Yeah wish they would find a way to delay the radio and have the option for the radio call with the video on like NHL GC.

I can't stand have the play by play guys. Give me Bowen back :popcorn:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
how about they just give us back what we had 3 years ago before this whole mess even started ;)

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
one thing is for certain, and it's that the fans don't want any sensationalism in the broadcasts. No hyper-swoosh-sound effects when words/graphics come up on the screen, None of this "movie voice guy" in the opening montages (which are also horrible by the way- they have to re-hire the crew that were doing those on the CBC). No bright blue floors, guys holding hockey sticks, or gimmicky camera angles - it all became very cheap and foreign, and drove out fans in big numbers, including myself. I'll watch again if it feels like they've returned to the roots or even returned to the basic format of a few years ago. If not, then my attention won't hold.

Simplicity is what won the fans over and kept them there. Less is more in hockey. It felt real. And it felt very important on the CBC. Coast-to-coast was the feeling, like a very important event was taking place. Even though it was just another Saturday night. But they did it well. Watching hockey on a U.S. broadcast seems phony and fake in comparison. Especially their intermission shows where a few guys sit at the desk; it seems like we're watching football or something. The hosts don't seem like hockey guys at all. Much like George became.

KISS. Keep it simple stupid. It's what the fans want and let's hope it returns to normal this fall. Looking forward to it.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

Rogers tried getting more young people to watch hockey, and somehow thought Strombo was a good idea, when all the guy is, is a "yes man". He failed, Ron's back, all is good.

We must remember that the guy that didn't save the HNIC theme for CBC is the same guy that is now running all that great sports broadcasting we've come to hate from Rogers, Scott Moore. He was the head of CBC Sports when CBC lost the theme. Interestingly, the guy he lost the theme to at TSN was Rick Brace who is now Moore's boss at Rogers.TV Sports makes strange bedfellows.

Btw, I thought CBC did an admirable job at the Olympics. Y'know why? They didn't get in the way of the competition.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
IIRC, Johnson's contract was up and either he was asking for too much or Rogers wasn't giving enough.

The only time I watch the analyst on Sportsnet is after the 2nd period of Sat's game. That's only time they tell me something that I don't know. If only they can get better analysts that can analyze game plan or tactics then I will watch more. I don't need meaningless platitudes about will, determination or heart. I already know this ****.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm thrilled with the changes made, but it'll take a while to rid of the Rogers stain from the past two seasons.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

$400-$500 per game to use the song, while generating how many millions in ad revenue during the game(s)? Also the whole ringtone sales ordeal that they failed to compensate the composer for? They cheaped out plain and simple.

What did the contest winner get for the new theme? I think it was $100k, and half of the lifetime royalites. Comparatively, he's getting pennies while some bigwigs laugh all the way to the bank.

They make brilliant programming decisions like relying solely on Dragon's Den and (lol) Coronation Street for ratings, and do nothing to fix the glaring holes in the rest of their lineup.

They could've done it right, and kept the theme the way it was. But their sheer incompetence in managing their network prevented that.

Some people are worried how "Roger's is out of touch", but the CBC has been insane for years now.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I agree. Jim Hughson is a huge homer ! Perhaps being a homer wouldn't be as bad if he was a Leaf homer instead of a Canucks homer. His dislike for the Leafs is evident during most broadcasts, especially when we play Vancouver. He cuts up Leaf play whenever he gets the chance, although last year wasn't quite as bad as previous years. However, I do have to admit, I do like when a nice goal is scored and he says, "Beauty !"

I'm not sure who they could get to replace Hughson, but I have never been much of a fan of the, "Sedin Twin lover." Healy on the other hand seem to improve last year over the previous year.

One of the best play by play announcers, even though he is a HUGE homer, is Rick Jeanneret (WGR AM 550). He is funny and highly entertaining.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGhTszcS3s

I don't even care that he's a 'Nucks fan. What bothers me is that he spends the vast majority of the game criticizing the Maple Leafs for being a bad team. We all know that already, how about he try to make it interesting for the viewer instead of piling on.

The Leafs drive the ratings and he craps all over the team for the entirety of the 60 minutes. It's no wonder we all stopped watching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad