News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
https://www.thestar.com/sports/hock...trombo-on-hockey-night-in-canada-feschuk.html

Can this summer get any better!?!?!

“We want to get a new breed of Canadian fans that get passionate about the games,” Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties, told reporters after Stroumboulopoulos’s hiring was announced in 2014. “I think George does that.”

Apparently the Leafs got him fired? Ummm, I don't think so.

Whether or not Stroumboulopoulos succeeded in luring in younger viewers, his presence didn’t do much for the show’s overall ratings, which have been lagging since he arrived. The reasons for that trend, of course, can hardly be laid at the feet of one on-air personality. It hasn’t helped that the ratings-driving Maple Leafs have struggled through a couple of seasons in which they finished 27th and 30th in the 30-team league, nor that this spring marked just the second time in the century-plus history of the NHL a Canadian team didn’t make the playoffs.

With his penchant for skinny suits
- There's the reason.

But now on to Ron & Don:

The imminent re-emergence of MacLean, an avowed hockey junkie with a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of NHLers and their various family members, is hardly the broadcaster’s first recommitment to older ways. Earlier this month it was announced that Cherry, the 82-year-old star of Coach’s Corner, had signed a new multi-year contract. In the early days of the Rogers deal, Cherry wasn’t shy about complaining that his show had been marginalized. “You gotta pay attention to me, because I don’t get much time,” he complained on his show in November 2014.

strombo.JPG

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
First of many major changes apparently.

Replacing MacLean never made sense.

You want to attract younger viewers, so you take away the face they grew up seeing the most on Hockey Night?

buttman*

Never liked watching hockey with Strombo. He was better late night. He just wasn't appealing. It was clear he had little passion for the game and less knowledge. Ron loves hockey and that shows.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So they're (Rogers) realizing that they didn't have to re-invent the wheel and stray too far away from what the CBC was doing? How nice, maybe they could give Tim Thompson his job back as well.

I actually don't mind Strombo, but Maclean is just a different calibre.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Great news. Never thought Strombo fit very well in the hockey world.

Still got morons in Kypreos, Healy and MacLean though.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
They should re-hire the guy that made the pregame videos/montages (Tim Thompson) and hire the guy that did CHL/Memorial cup play by play.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
First of many major changes apparently.

Replacing MacLean never made sense.

You want to attract younger viewers, so you take away the face they grew up seeing the most on Hockey Night?

Agreed:

One insider cautioned that, at a time of transition for the broadcaster — in April, Hockey Night in Canada production head Gord Cutler was let go and Rob Corte was put in charge — plans could change. In an email message on Sunday, Moore dismissed talk of next season’s lineup as “simply speculation.â€

“(We) have not finalized our plans for next season as the current one is not over,†Moore wrote. “Once we have solidified our plans, I will be happy to comment.â€

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rogers are not making the right moves. Strombo wasn't the problem at all. They keep hiring idiotic people like Kypreos, Healy, Cox and MacLean to headline their sports desk. How the hell can you justify changing the host when you're hiring some of the worst commentators and analysts in the sport?

I thought Strombo was fine. He's just a host. You're not going to attract more viewers by changing the host back.

Get better content. Get better analysts. Get better commentators. Stop with the lazy narratives. Promote the actual talent like Johnston, Johnson, Marek and Friedman. Put Cox and Kypreos in small roles. Fire MacLean and Healy into the sun.

Last edited:

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
Rogers are not making the right moves. Strombo wasn't the problem at all. They keep hiring idiotic people like Kypreos, Healy and MacLean to headline their sports desk. How the hell can you justify changing the host when you're hiring some of the worst commentators and analysts in the sport?

I thought Strombo was fine. He's just a host. You're not going to attract more viewers by changing the host back.

It's the fact he replaced Ron Maclean - I'd be fine with a non-skinny pantsed Strombo hosting alongside Maclean, but Rogers has so much tunnel vision they can see straight up to the back of their teeth. If he was brought in as an extra person to help the show along I'd probably even like him by now.... but to me, he was always stealing Ron Maclean's chair who imo is the most valuable sports personality to Canada alongside Don.

They are not done either.. I bet our poll will give a good representation on who is next.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently MacLean replacing Strombo was the "small part" of what is expected to happen to the on-air staff.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
YYZ Sports Media Also Reporting The Following

- This isn't about cost or money, Rogers is apparently "panicking" about the viewership, and overall response to the broadcasts and the personalities.

- The changes being made won't be officially until after the draft, so the current on-air staff will be running the draft, with the changes being made to take effect for the World Cup.

- Also reports a big overhaul behind the scenes at every level will be happening.

This goes along with Ron MacLean returning as host being the "small" part of the changes.

Looks like a complete overhaul could be coming.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Great news. Never thought Strombo fit very well in the hockey world.

Still got morons in Kypreos, Healy and MacLean though.

I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I actually like Healy. You need someone there to play that part. Where the issue comes is when all Sportsnet boys are also saying ridiculous stuff, then you just get inundated with all ********.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Good news!

Though Strombo I thought was fine as the "host" part - he was fine at interviewing people. It's the hacks like Healey, Cox, Kypreos that made it unwatchable.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I actually like Healy. You need someone there to play that part. Where the issue comes is when all Sportsnet boys are also saying ridiculous stuff, then you just get inundated with all ********.

Play what part... the idiot that makes no sense?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Didn't mind Strombo really. Wasn't a fan, but he also didn't bother me too much.

Healy is the one that has to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad