News Article: Rogers must be watching - Ron Maclean replaces Strombo + big changes (Healy is gone!)

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
I thought PJ was gone a while ago... :laugh:

I'm for all of the moves so far, except for Strombo. Would still like to see him do interviews with players and management. Oh well, his CBC radio show is still one of the best around.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Rob Longley @longleysunsport

Rogers announces revamped HNIC. Leaner Saturday panel, Ron MacLean back, of course, David Amber hosts Game 2. Daren Millard Wed. only now.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
the fact that he totally mocked Legends Row, a few days after Keon went up, by calling it Losers Row

:amazed: He did that on a broadcast?! Holy cow!

Hopefully moving back to a two-person play-by-play team will allow some atmosphere to soak through, as I've previously whined about.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
Reporters and broadcasters are supposed to be as unbiased and unopinionated (not even sure that's a word) as humanly possible.

everything that left Healys mouth was a biased, negative opinion.
one of those people that when you hear them speak you just roll your eyes and tune them out. like physical pain to hear their words spoken.

brutal it took so long.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Now Fox in the NHL Broadcasting Streaming

Fox, NHL agree to in-market streaming deal, starting in fall

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/fox...on.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

On the heels of getting agreements with MLB and the NBA to stream local games in-market, Fox has now gotten the green light to begin streaming NHL games to local fans next season. John Ourand of Sports Business Journal reports that after five years of talks, Fox and the NHL reached an agreement that allows in-market streams of the 12 teams to which it owns the rights.

Ourand writes that no contracts have been signed, but the agreement in-principle allows Fox to start streaming to authenticated users in the 2016-17 season. Those who want to watch the games will have to subscribe to a cable or satellite provider.

Fox now has in-market streaming deals with all of the three leagues to which it owns local rights. Three years ago, the NBA came to an agreement with Fox. Then earlier this year, it was MLB and now it has the NHL in-market streaming rights.

NBC Sports Group which is the other large cable rightsholder with the NHL has not made a deal for its teams nor does it have one in place for MLB.

So for the fans in the markets of the 12 teams of which Fox owns the rights, Anaheim, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis and Tampa Bay, they’ll be able to access the games online as long as they have a cable or satellite subscription.

It’s been a long time in coming and the NHL’s fans who are known to be very tech-savvy, this could be very well worth the wait.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
:amazed: He did that on a broadcast?! Holy cow!

Hopefully moving back to a two-person play-by-play team will allow some atmosphere to soak through, as I've previously whined about.

no he did it on a time out - but some streams have a "naked view" - meaning you can hear what is being said during t.v. time outs and all that jazz. I want to say it was vs. Vancouver, because Hughson and Simpson are carving up Desjardins and how he's not putting up the right match ups after time outs which is stupid. Sparks is playing relatively well - and Healy cracks, "Hah! they're going to build him up a statue to match everyone else up on Loser's Row aren't they." and then insert another dumb leafs fans. joke and a jab at the organization.

Hughson and Simpon did the "suck teeth" thing like.... "eessshh" and went on to talking about Desjardins. but like i said this is RIGHT after Keon got put up so it's like. really? REALLY?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Rob Longley @longleysunsport

Rogers announces revamped HNIC. Leaner Saturday panel, Ron MacLean back, of course, David Amber hosts Game 2. Daren Millard Wed. only now.

You know.
i can deal with Millard on Wednesday - because we have Ron on Saturday.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ron-maclean-host-hockey-night-canada-david-amber/

"Panelists Elliotte Friedman, Kelly Hrudey, and Nick Kypreos join MacLean and Amber in-studio Saturday nights. Daren Millard continues to host Scotiabank Wednesday Night Hockey, alongside panelists Friedman and Doug MacLean."

I'm hesitant to bite the hand that just gave the finger to Healy, but how are they reducing the number of analysts and still keeping Doug MacLean around? And how is MacLean seen as an suitable fit for Elliotte? They're like dirty oil and holy water.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
no he did it on a time out - but some streams have a "naked view" - meaning you can hear what is being said during t.v. time outs and all that jazz. I want to say it was vs. Vancouver, because Hughson and Simpson are carving up Desjardins and how he's not putting up the right match ups after time outs which is stupid. Sparks is playing relatively well - and Healy cracks, "Hah! they're going to build him up a statue to match everyone else up on Loser's Row aren't they." and then insert another dumb leafs fans. joke and a jab at the organization.

Hughson and Simpon did the "suck teeth" thing like.... "eessshh" and went on to talking about Desjardins. but like i said this is RIGHT after Keon got put up so it's like. really? REALLY?

Ah, got it, thanks for the info. That's like when Ray Ferraro was making fun of Phaneuf's high pitched voice going for a line change..."Somebody ****ing GO!" :laugh: That was on a "naked view" stream also. :naughty:

Anyway, glad Heals is out. He should do a podcast or something, so we can choose to not listen.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
These changes are pretty solid from top to bottom.

Kypreos is the only one that jumps out as questionable. I think he would be better suited on Wednesdays, but if he scales it back not believing he is the lead guy, and with MacLean now guiding him through, he should be fine.

Nice to see Amber get more face time as I've always enjoyed him. He, along with Marek, were the two talents that were underutilized. Was hopeful the latter would have a place on the Saturday broadcasts, but it is also wise to have him carving a niche on Fridays with the CHL broadcasts.

Now if Rogers can get their broadcasts so that HNiC is separate from Wednesday nights which are separate from Hometown Hockey and CHL Fridays, then I'll give them credit for doing a great job in revamping their programming. Build each night/program into its own distinct brand, as opposed to streamlining them as if we are watching the same thing each night.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
More moves in the right direction. David Amber - a friendly and clean-cut, non-biased personality - perfect for game #2. He isn't about flash or controversy - a down-to-earth and always smiling dude, I'm looking forward to it. Congrats to Dave!!

Healy and Cox gone - no worries. Good to see them get the boot, they'll do fine elsewhere. PJ Stock I was able to handle - kind of liked his humor but no big deal.

Millard and Maclean (the other Maclean) - back to Wednesdays - again, perfect. It's where they were before this whole mess. Now we know that when we see them, it's a weeknight game, a "primer" for Saturday nights.

Now all they gotta do is re-vamp the visuals, so the weeknight games have their own style and feel, and Saturday nights will also have their own style and feel. Weeknights can feel a little "cheaper" and more regional - the way it always was. But they need to invest more into Saturday nights so they look more special and important - just review the old CBC HNIC tapes from 3 years ago and backwards to see what they need to do to bring back that cozy, wintery Saturday night look.

Last - buy/lease the "Canadian Gold" theme from the CBC and get that back on there. Re-hire the production crew from the CBC or at least some of them to get back what we lost in this whole fiasco.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think Kyperos can be okay (they are probably going to wait to see how he does with Ron - he can "calm" people down). if he's good.. they keep him if not he might get the snip

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
yeah Kypreos is good too - he was always able to keep things clean for the most part. I think he was the best of the bunch to keep on the broadcasts. But having him alongside Millard made it feel like a cheap weeknight game or something, which was fine, but not for a Saturday night.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
I'm hesitant to bite the hand that just gave the finger to Healy, but how are they reducing the number of analysts and still keeping Doug MacLean around? And how is MacLean seen as an suitable fit for Elliotte? They're like dirty oil and holy water.

Agreed. There's easily a few options that I would much prefer as alternatives to Doug MacLean.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Healey just came across as vile and nasty to anyone who even remotely disagreed with him - particularly anyone trying to point to stats to prove their point.

Not a huge fan of Kypreos either, but he's nowhere near as bad as Cox.

Almost a pity they couldn't poach some of the TSN talent.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
HEALY IS OUT! HEALY IS OUTTTTT!!!! OH HAPPY DAYS! :jump:

Amazing news. I can get behind these recent changes to HNIC. I'll certainly never accuse Rogers of not being willing to make changes to the program. Looking forward to having Ron back hosting, and the rest of the cast is great to tolerable, so I'm satisfied overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad