Robin Lehner, Thomas Griess predictions/“The Korn Effect”

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Welp, we are 12 games in and both guys are in top 15 GAA & top 10 in save %.

So early but this is beyond my wildest dreams.

Find the person who thinks that coaching doesn't matter (or that capuano or weight were good ones) and you've found a person who doesn't know what they're talking about.

Period.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Snow and Weight I agree. Still think Cappy was not as bad as people made him out to be. If Snow responded to the situation of the team and gave him more pieces, Cappy would have won more.

That said, I am thrilled with the current front office and coaching staff

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Snow and Weight I agree. Still think Cappy was not as bad as people made him out to be. If Snow responded to the situation of the team and gave him more pieces, Cappy would have won more.

That said, I am thrilled with the current front office and coaching staff
Capuano’s teams underperformed for their talent level. Could you imagine the 14-16 teams with Trotz coaching?

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Capuano’s teams underperformed for their talent level. Could you imagine the 14-16 teams with Trotz coaching?

Maybe but that is giving Snow too much credit. Maybe a little bit of both then but Cappy knew what he was doing, more than the criticism he still receives on these boards. Snow was one of the worst GMs in managing the roster and reacting to trade deadlines ever and never will be forgiven or trusting JT.

Reactions: periferal

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
We base such thoughts on last season.

Can't speak for a very hapless Buffalo team, but the amount of shots Greiss often faced last season was ridonculous. Granted, he lost a few games on his own (i.e. that 6-5 home loss to the Senators was a disgrace, and he was terribly weak on 4 of those goals against).

But take the 2016-17 version of both and it's a much different story:
Greiss = 2.69 GAA, .913 SV%, 26-18-5
Lehner = 2.68 GAA, .920 SV%, 23-26-8

Korn only needs to get these guys to do what they've done before.

If he does, that could have us in playoff contention right on up to the deadline.
Halak also faced a ton of shots and fared much better last season.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Sure it's the Snow effect.
Snow run Nabokov to the ground.
Then Snow hated Halak and treated him bad to make Halak look bad, even sent him to B'port only because of Snow's ego. Look how good Halak is now.
Snow signed the backup Greiss for too much and then started him more than any other goalie in the NHL, run him to the ground too. It takes time to recover from it and this is Greiss now.

Still much time to make decisions for the future. I would extend Greiss for little $$$. With the salary inflation we see now not easy to decide. I would sign Greiss for 2-2.5M if he would sign for less even better, do it now.
I wouldn't sign any goalie for more than 5M. If Lehner is looking for much money I would think about trading him at the deadline depending on how his value is, doesn't make sense to trade him for peanuts. If Lehner likes LI and would sign for reasonable money kind of hometown discount I could imagine to sign him long term even I hate long term for goalies.
Best would be to develop goalies and once they have value to trade them. This was impossible before because Snow didn't have the Know-How.

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
There have been arguments pertaining to the relevance of coaching in every major sport for years now. I often see people who disregard it for the most part. While I think that there is a level of truth to that when you consider a team full of several talented players in their primes. The coaching aspect is underrated when it comes to teams that are marginally talented.

I don't think any of us believe the Islanders are going to make a Golden Knight's run a la last year. With that said. There is enough talent on this roster, where good coaching and a disciplined approach night in and night out could possibly get this team into the playoffs with the chance to surprise in a round or two.

Look at the Patriots in the NFL. I think it's fair to say that they have not had the most talented roster every year for the past decade plus. While talent has played a significant role, coaching is what has made them a perennial contender.

It's harder than we think, to get people on the same page. Great communicators are able to get a team to buy in. These are all skilled athletes at the highest level, and confidence can often breed success.

Greiss and Lehner are goalies who given a disciplined system in front of them in addition to competent coaching can have success. Once they experience that success it can breed confidence and allow them to play at a level which is capable enough to push the Islanders into legitimate playoff consideration.

ebergeist

Apr 29, 2018
Finnland
Nice to see Greiss bouncing back from a very difficult last season, he seems to have his confidence back and as stated above, good coaching and an actual system sure can do miracles on the psyche. I hope this trend keeps going.

Reactions: dood

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
Not sure about the Korn effect but I am sure about the 'Not allowing five odd-man rushes each period" effect. Seems to be working. Both goalies have been excellent.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Still much time to make decisions for the future. I would extend Greiss for little $$$. With the salary inflation we see now not easy to decide. I would sign Greiss for 2-2.5M if he would sign for less even better, do it now.

Greiss cannot get extended, not until July 1st as he signed for another season.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
We're also seeing the importance of good position and assistant coaching

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Halak played well last year after he was sent down to the AHL. But Before that he was a disaster. For the year in whole he was much better than Greiss who was dreadful. The majority of fans on this board gave up on Greiss last season including myself. Wasn' t a crazy debate about Weights system affecting Greiss or Halaks play. The blame on Weight was always secondary. Lehner wasn't that good in Buffalo on a team that struggled mightily. Give Korn and Trotz credit but blaming Snow a GM and Weight for bad goalie play is ridiculous. Saying a goalies numbers are skewed because of the system and bad coaching is another thing.
Who gets the credit for Greiss, Halaks, and Lehners bounce back years this season?
Is it coaching or the players themselves?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Halak played well last year after he was sent down to the AHL. But Before that he was a disaster. For the year in whole he was much better than Greiss who was dreadful. The majority of fans on this board gave up on Greiss last season including myself. Wasn' t a crazy debate about Weights system affecting Greiss or Halaks play. The blame on Weight was always secondary. Lehner wasn't that good in Buffalo on a team that struggled mightily. Give Korn and Trotz credit but blaming Snow a GM and Weight for bad goalie play is ridiculous. Saying a goalies numbers are skewed because of the system and bad coaching is another thing.
Who gets the credit for Greiss, Halaks, and Lehners bounce back years this season?
Is it coaching or the players themselves?
I’m not calling it a bounce back year for either Greiss or Lehner after just 11 games.

I don’t care for either goalie. One was signed long term because Snow saw 30 good games out of him and the other is here on a 1 year prove-it deal. If they do well, great. It’s a huge help to our team, and give all the credit to Greiss, Lehner, Mitch Korn and Piero Greco for the work they put in. I hope they succeed. I just don’t see Greiss or Lehner as long term solutions here.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Sure it's the Snow effect.
Snow run Nabokov to the ground.
Then Snow hated Halak and treated him bad to make Halak look bad, even sent him to B'port only because of Snow's ego. Look how good Halak is now.
Snow signed the backup Greiss for too much and then started him more than any other goalie in the NHL, run him to the ground too. It takes time to recover from it and this is Greiss now.

I wouldn't sign any goalie for more than 5M. If Lehner is looking for much money I would think about trading him at the deadline depending on how his value is, doesn't make sense to trade him for peanuts. If Lehner likes LI and would sign for reasonable money kind of hometown discount I could imagine to sign him long term even I hate long term for goalies.
Best would be to develop goalies and once they have value to trade them. This was impossible before because Snow didn't have the Know-How.

I don't think the money was the problem with Greiss rather term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad