News: Robin Lehner and Isles far apart in contract talks, departure looks very likely

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They have Mitch Korn. No matter what goalie they sign, they'll be fine.

For how long, though? Mitch Korn was already mostly retired nearly 2 years ago and came back to help Trotz.

I don't think that's a good long-term solution to trust, at all. They need a good goalie still.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
For how long, though? Mitch Korn was already mostly retired nearly 2 years ago and came back to help Trotz.

I don't think that's a good long-term solution to trust, at all. They need a good goalie still.

Piero Greco seemed to do a very nice job as the day to day guy for the goalies. Korn is part time anyway and this arrangement seems like a good set up for all involved. But yeah, that set up isn't going to work long term...

Reactions: Stubu

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Wow. Imagine if both Lee another captain, and Lehner, a Vezina finalist and someone who overcame great adversity, depart from the organization...

It will say a lot about Johnny Tavares' decision to leave.
Tavares decided to leave. If Lehner and Lee are not on the roster next year, it's because the org (Lou) decided to let them go. Big difference there

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Piero Greco seemed to do a very nice job as the day to day guy for the goalies. Korn is part time anyway and this arrangement seems like a good set up for all involved. But yeah, that set up isn't going to work long term...

Everything worked out quite nicely in Washington when Korn was still around, too. Even in a part-time role. The wheels fell off pretty quickly after he wasn't anymore. I get what you are saying though, but i'd say you need to wait until he's really gone to see the effects of that departure. Whenever he is around, even partially, he's still very much in charge and everything is done exactly how he wants.

Reactions: Stubu

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
NYI basically saved his life. I highly doubt they would be at total odds with each other. I call BS.

Bullshit. Him making the call to step away from his teammates in Buffalo and seek help saved his own life. We gave him a job.

I love Lehner and really f***ing want him back but lets not act like he or the Isles owe each other anything.

Reactions: Weast and DaveG

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Surprised Lou is playing hardball with members of the 2018-2019 NY Islanders dream team.

While Lehner has a nice story and good attitude, goalies are a dime a dozen. Say they don't sign Bob or Lehner their is still Varlamov(who I wouldn't be surprised if he is a close 3rd on their list), and Talbot and Mzarek

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Arthur Staple recently retweeted a parody acct like it was legitimate hockey news. He had inside info at one point, but those days are over.

He's still a decent read for his opinions, but take any inside info he might offer with a gigantic grain of salt.

Reactions: IslandersFan17

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If he walks, where the hell does he go?

Buffalo isn't an option.

Colorado has 2 goalies on NHL deals.

Calgary or Edmonton make sense but IDK

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Lehner evidently visited with the Panthers today. Makes your wonder if Panarin/Bob going to NYI is more likely than everyone thought. I don’t think the Panthers or Lehner would meet up before 7/1 if there wasn’t some feeling on each end the other deal wasn't happening

BrassCompels

Jun 27, 2019
Lehner’s success this year probably went to his head. History has shown that this guy is too unpredictable to invest in long term. His success was more a product of Trotz than anything else. I wouldn’t give him more than a 2 year contract. 14M/2 years would be my offer. Isles are doing themselves a favour by letting him walk. Goaltending is overrated anyway.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can see Lou going hard after Bob, but if rumors are true that Bob/Panarin want to go to the same team, that's probably costing you 20-22 million long term. That's risky....any goalie at 10+mil is a risky move.

Lou never met a vet he wouldnt give a contract to

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Lehner evidently visited with the Panthers today. Makes your wonder if Panarin/Bob going to NYI is more likely than everyone thought. I don’t think the Panthers or Lehner would meet up before 7/1 if there wasn’t some feeling on each end the other deal wasn't happening

Im curious to know where you heard that from, because there is literally zero reports from Panthers camp regarding a meeting with Lehner, or from anyone in the NHL news community for that matter. I kinda have an idea, but Id like to hear your source.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Im curious to know where you heard that from, because there is literally zero reports from Panthers camp regarding a meeting with Lehner, or from anyone in the NHL news community for that matter. I kinda have an idea, but Id like to hear your source.

Panthers reporter tweeted he was there and said although he wasn’t told by the team they met with him one would logically assume that’s what he was doing down in south Florida

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Edmonton would be one heck of a place to play Robin. Think about how cool it would be to be the answer to the team's goaltending issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad