News: Robin Lehner and Isles far apart in contract talks, departure looks very likely

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wow. Imagine if both Lee another captain, and Lehner, a Vezina finalist and someone who overcame great adversity, depart from the organization...

It will say a lot about Johnny Tavares' decision to leave.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Well this sucks. I see Carolina offering Lehner a huge contract.

Carolina has a 23 year old recent AHL goaltender of the year in Alex Nedeljkovic and just drafted 20 year old top goalie prospect Pyotr Kochetkov with an early 2nd round pick. I don't think the Canes are interested in more than a 2-3 year term for any goalie.

Maybe Lehner would accept higher $$ for lower term. Something like $5-6 million x 2-3 years might work.

Reactions: DaveG

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Carolina has a 23 year old recent AHL goaltender of the year in Alex Nedeljkovic and just drafted 20 year old top goalie prospect Pyotr Kochetkov with an early 2nd round pick. I don't think the Canes are interested in more than a 2-3 year term for any goalie.

Maybe Lehner would accept higher $$ for lower term. Something like $5-6 million x 2-3 years might work.

Yeah I don’t see him going to carolina if they want a long deal. He will probably end up in Columbus or Calgary or maybe Florida if the Isles end up with Bob

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
WTF?
Lou must get Lehner exstended.
He is an good goalie and in combination with greiss they are a great goalie tandem.
They brought succesfull goal sharing back into the league.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I wrote this in The Athletic comments:

What part of Trotz's and LL's public pronouncements did so many readers not get? 'We need more pop', 'This season is to assess the organization', etc., . . why is this is such a surprise? This team got EVERYTHING they were going to get out of this current group of players and it still get swept in the second round by a team with inferior goaltenders, but superior team speed.

This is the path going forward to WIN A CUP, which too many are forgetting is what this is all about. Eberle and Nelson GOT IT, and signed reasonable deals to help with the ULTIMATE GOAL, while Lee and Lehner have not. And if you look carefully at what the strategy seems to be, it's simple. Players will sign for what LL seems is their value or they WON'T be signed!

LL is likely willing to take a step back this year if necessary if he can't sign Panarin. If Bobrovsky is the price to get Panarin then LL has a budget price in mind . . . we'll see if he gets it done abut EITHER WAY there is a path to a Cup down the line.

Dobson will be given every chance to make the team and if he does there might well be an October trade of Mayfield, who will command a decent asset given his performance and contract. Wahlstrom will be given the chance to play in the NHL sooner rather than later, and unlike Ho-Sang, seems to get what is necessary to STAY in the NHL. He's a hockey version of a gym rat and that is music to BT's and LL's ears. If Panarin/Bob does not sign here you find a stop gap . . JUST LIKE LAST YEAR, which worked out fine, and Sorokin will be ready to come over and compete. You look at fixing the bottom 6, which is necessary since Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck etc., are going to start to show their age and the 3rd line needs a scorer too. Connolly or Donskoi for that.

Loyalty works both ways. We gave Lehner what he needed and now we need to see if he'll reciprocate with the type of contract Lou is comfortable with or will he try to max out the great season. We don't control that decision.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Staple was also WAY off on Eberle too, so I personally am not putting too much cred into this, honestly the guys on Sirius (The Fourth Period folks) have been nailing Isles news since last year and have been undercutting our own beat/insiders. They 100% have a legitimate Isles source.

Could be an agent trying to get leverage.

Hasn't Staple always been the go to guy in terms of credibility for Islanders news?

Sometimes your sources are wrong. If he is right more often then not, then that is pretty good.

Jan 21, 2018
Loyalty works both ways. We gave Lehner what he needed and now we need to see if he'll reciprocate with the type of contract Lou is comfortable with or will he try to max out the great season. We don't control that decision.

Lehner gave you a 0.930 sv% and helped carry you to the second round of the playoffs. He gave the isles what they needed and now it's time to see if LL will reciprocate.

Try taking off the homer goggles, loyalty is a two way street.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Wow. Imagine if both Lee another captain, and Lehner, a Vezina finalist and someone who overcame great adversity, depart from the organization...

It will say a lot about Johnny Tavares' decision to leave.

What would it say about JT? Both Lee and Lehner are on record saying they want to return to the Islanders but Lou isn't giving into contract demands, at least yet. So, the complete opposite of the JT situation where the Islanders clearly offered him a contract plenty of times, and reportedly more than the Leafs offered, but Tavares wanted to play elsewhere.

It's actually amazing how polar opposite the two situations are despite your attempt to liken them.

Reactions: Axe Man and Stubu

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
either clearing the decks for 2020 sorokin arrival by going with Greiss and another 1B for 2019-20 on a cheap deal or chips are all in on Bob .

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lehner gave you a 0.930 sv% and helped carry you to the second round of the playoffs. He gave the isles what they needed and now it's time to see if LL will reciprocate.

Try taking off the homer goggles, loyalty is a two way street.

I didn't say it was one-way, that's your projection of what I wrote. I said Lou has a price/value in mind, Nelson and Eberle accepted that and so far Lehner and Lee have not. I doubt you'd think that 6 years at $8 million per is appropriate for Lehner and we have no idea what his asking price is, hence the number Lou is comfortable with.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Staple was also WAY off on Eberle too, so I personally am not putting too much cred into this, honestly the guys on Sirius (The Fourth Period folks) have been nailing Isles news since last year and have been undercutting our own beat/insiders. They 100% have a legitimate Isles source.

Could be an agent trying to get leverage.
giphy.gif

You can close the thread now until the Isles make an announcement.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I can see Lou going hard after Bob, but if rumors are true that Bob/Panarin want to go to the same team, that's probably costing you 20-22 million long term. That's risky....any goalie at 10+mil is a risky move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad