News: Robin Lehner and Isles far apart in contract talks, departure looks very likely

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Lehner didn’t become a true starter until he arrived in Buffalo in 2015 but your point still stands. It’ll be interesting to see if he can replicate his career year if he does move on. Last season was absolutely an outlier though. Until we see it more than once, I don’t think it’s accurate to assume differently. I love the player and am happy for him. As someone with a connection to him I’m glad everything happened the way it did for him. But I’m still weary. One year hasn’t sold me. We’ll see.

Starter was wrong wording by me. I meant NHL regular.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't Staple the guy who tweeted "doesn't look too good for the Isles losing prospect Durandeau by not signing him" like two hours before he signed his contract? Staples is washed up, he has no good connections to the Islanders brass.

Reactions: SI90

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wasn't Staple considered legit and well connected during the Duchene saga? And now he's a hack? Is it just because in one situation he catered to the Islanders and in the other he's not doing that?

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Wasn't Staple considered legit and well connected during the Duchene saga? And now he's a hack? Is it just because in one situation he catered to the Islanders and in the other he's not doing that?
I don't really remember the duchene saga but Staples doesn't have any insiders on the team anymore. Lou probably fired them or threw them in the docks with concrete boots or whatever.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
More like Staple had sources during Snow's regime and now he doesn't under Lou's. Pretty simple really.

Way to kill it with logic and reason! I was enjoying the roll they were getting on up until that point.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
WTF is they? It's a legit question. Careful on that high horse of yours .

“They” is gender neutral. I don’t know what you are.

Not a high horse... You’re question was wrapped around a narrative that was far off from the very simple reality. The juxtaposition of the two was funny to me.

Moreover, I oddly had images of the scene from “Animal House” Specifically, “was it over when the Germans bombed...” hence the use of the term “roll.”

We have lots of ridiculous and inside jokes on the Islanders board. I forget that doesn’t transfer over well to the main boards.

To that point I edited out a reference to “Dippin’ Dots.”

There take that for what you will.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
WTF is they? It's a legit question. Careful on that high horse of yours .
I personally like Staple and actually feel a little bad for him as its becoming more and more evident that he really doesn't have any access to the team's inner thoughts. He's been posting a lot of conjecture and speculation but he's usually careful to label it appropriately. This Lehner take is beyond his usual recent speculation and seems to be indicating he has some info. If he does, its more than likely not from the Islanders and is probably from Lehner's camp. Being that's the case, there is likely some intent behind the leak, for whatever that's worth.

Maybe he's on the ball here, maybe he isn't. But since Lou has taken over, Staple's information flow has been reduced to a dribble.

Reactions: Ivan13

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lehner is 27. Korpisalo and Elvis are both 25.

By the way are you a Columbus fan?

Not trying to be snarky in the least... But I don’t follow your point. Is it just that they are not that much different in age?

The few Columbus threads I have read I was predominantly left with the impression that fans wanted to fill the position internally. I guess I understood that to mean Columbus values their current goalies as starter material. Is that not so?

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
Honestly I'd be fine with Lehner leaving if they can sign another decent goalie (i.e. Varlamov) for a reasonable (3-3.5/year) 3-year deal. Lehner/Greiss won the Jennings behind such solid team defense I'm not concerned about the goalie's name as long as he's a proven NHL goalie to split w/ Greiss. Sign a solid guy for reasonable 3 years, plan on Sorokin coming over in one more year, hopefully Soderstrom comes back and looks like a pro in the AHL, one of those 2 guys splits w/ the new guy (again, Varlamov?) when ready and if they both work out then they can split in the NHL. Only need to sign a stop-gap guy for after next season or w/e if necessary (or another solid guy in Greiss/Varly mold - .915+ career save %, etc). If Trotz is coaching we'd be set for a while. Lehner's not a key cog despite the narrative.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
By the way are you a Columbus fan?

Not trying to be snarky in the least... But I don’t follow your point. Is it just that they are not that much different in age?

The few Columbus threads I have read I was predominantly left with the impression that fans wanted to fill the position internally. I guess I understood that to mean Columbus values their current goalies as starter material. Is that not so?

The plan going into the offseason was going with Korpi and Elvis as a tandem but if Lehner is available the Jackets would be wise to add him. Lehner would be more of a sure thing vs either Korpi or Elvis.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The plan going into the offseason was going with Korpi and Elvis as a tandem but if Lehner is available the Jackets would be wise to add him. Lehner would be more of a sure thing vs either Korpi or Elvis.
Anyone with goalie uncertainty would want Lehner. Thing is - what type of commitment would you feel comfortable making? Would you commit 5 years at $6m AAV?

To me, the only team that should feel comfortable committing long term to Lehner should be the Islanders. After all, they've lived with him day in/day out over the past year and have seen what strides he's made in the mental health area. That's a daily struggle and they are the only team that has that insight. There are so many variables and uncertainties that go along with long term deals. I can't imagine another team would come in and drop serious coin over a long term on a player that has been so public with his struggles. To me, his value is greatest to the Islanders. Its much more preferable to stay in a stable situation where he's shown he can succeed. Starting afresh in a new city/new locker room presents a lot of unknowns.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Wasn't Staple the guy who tweeted "doesn't look too good for the Isles losing prospect Durandeau by not signing him" like two hours before he signed his contract? Staples is washed up, he has no good connections to the Islanders brass.

He was as on top of thing as anyone up until Weight and Snow were around. I wouldn't say washe dup, but yeah, he's not getting 20% fof what he was getting from Isles brass as he did 2 years ago. I mean, logic tells you that Lee and Lehner are likely gone simply because it is 3 days before UFA and there seems to be no traction. I undertand that UFA's sometimes say shit that isn't true, but Lehner said a lot in the last couple weeks. He could have gave a canned answer to the media about how he hopes it works out, yada yada, but he came out and flat out said he doesn't care about term, he doesn't care about salary, that he just wants to be here no matter what. OF COURSE thats not a 100% true. He won't take 2 years 6 million and he shouldn't, but Arthur is basically saying that Lehner wants north of 5 mil a year and 5 + years. If that's really what he wants, which base don his comments, and his career history, makes little sense, IDK why they can't find common ground at 4 years at 5 or 5 and 4.5 or something like that.

This reeks of Lou putting all his eggs in the Bob/Panarin double basket. Regardless, point remains that Staple's word means half or less than that of what it did 1-2 years ago.

Who is giving Lehner 5x 5? I just don't see it. I know he is coming off an amazing year, but he still only played half a regular season of games and has 1 year out of many in his career that hasnt been totally erratic.

We'll see. No clue why Lou cann't offer 7 x 11-12 to Panarin and still bring back Lee and Lehner. They have 21.5 mil in cap space, 2 LTIR candidates in Ladd/Clutterbucks who will likely not be ready on opening day. Of course they need to look forward with Barzal/Toews/Pulock as RFA's after next season, but you have moveable contracts in Leddy/Bailey and some expirings next year.

We'll see what happens. Big game hunting can end up bad, usually does for the Isles

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

Got it, thanks.

All things considered, Columbus seems the best fit after the Isles (only because the Isles/Lehner are a known entity). Coaching and structured defensive style etc..

Also, I always had the impression that Tortorella and Trotz are friendly and respect each other. Gotta think if the Isles do move from Lehner, Trotz would appraise and advocate both Tortorella and Lehner to each other. I can’t see him putting in a bad word about either of them.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I personally like Staple and actually feel a little bad for him as its becoming more and more evident that he really doesn't have any access to the team's inner thoughts. He's been posting a lot of conjecture and speculation but he's usually careful to label it appropriately. This Lehner take is beyond his usual recent speculation and seems to be indicating he has some info. If he does, its more than likely not from the Islanders and is probably from Lehner's camp. Being that's the case, there is likely some intent behind the leak, for whatever that's worth.

Maybe he's on the ball here, maybe he isn't. But since Lou has taken over, Staple's information flow has been reduced to a dribble.

I still love Staple, excellent guy.

Even on the Eberle front, it's been clear watching Ebs, Nelson, Lehner and Lee that Lou made offers to all just like he said and that two are more comfortable with the team and life that they took the team friendly deals. If Eberle wanted to go 6x6 it would have been with another team, Lou got him for 5.5x5. Seems like Lehner isn't into the 3x5 deal, which is fine. Same for Lee. But I don't think many predicted Nelson or Eberle to accept those deals. Hayes got 50 million from the Flyers. Nelson easily could have done the same and no one would have been mad at him for it.

Point is, I know Staple is getting ragged on for the Eberle prediction and signing but I think it was surprising for all.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Ufa’s want a ton of money and most of the contracts carry term no one wants the back half of.

Common sense is probably going on in NY.

Either that or a ruse.

Considering Lou’s approaches to goal (Brodeur/Schneider) I doubt he’ll let a Vezina finalist walk/hope he doesn’t.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's hard not to pull for Lehner. He had a great season and seems like a nice guy with a good story.

But I'd be wary of signing him long-term for big cap too. Let's remember, while he looked good and put up great numbers, he was only one-half of a good tandem and he's never been a clear-cut starter before (alright, maybe it's a bit of an arbitrary cut-off, but he's never played more than 60 Games in a season).
It doesn't surprise me that a deal isn't done yet.

Reactions: dano16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad