Confirmed with Link: Robert Hagg Signs Two Year Extension ($1.6AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Who indeed.

So Hextall came in with us at cap hell and terrible contracts and no prospects . Spent a few years getting us out from underneath those shitty contracts loaded us with prospects and giving us cap space . Fletch came in and spent the cap space ( Hayes Niskanen and Braun ) is enjoying our prospects Hextall aquired and replaced the coach .

The only thing Fletch has done is fire Haktard , that has put us where we are but the rest was Hextall .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Seriously. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. Five prime years of those guys completely pissed away. Five years and not one substantial trade for the NHL roster save for Gudas. Bob Clarke immediately came in and hit on the LeClair-Desjardins trade. Traded for Petr Svoboda, Kevin Haller, Karl Dykhuis. Fletcher comes in and trades for Niskanen and Braun in his first offseason. What the hell was Hextall doing for five years aside from stockpiling draft picks (missing on some big ones) and spying on the players?

Uh, how could he fit a player under the cap? He had to dump Hartnell for a 4th rd pick to make cap room.
And one or two trades wouldn't make a difference, there were no top 4 defenseman (unless you count 39 year old Timmo and 37 year old Streit), Mason, and basically 2 lines.

He might have mortgaged the future to squeeze into the playoffs, like 2013-14, but he managed to make the playoffs twice while rebuilding - but other than trading draft picks (and then finding cap room) what was he going to trade?

Hextall did move Rinaldo (3rd), McGinn (3rd), Coburn (1st and 3rd), Kimmo (2 2nds), Streit (4th and Filppula), Schenn & Vinnie (3rd & Weal), Grossman & Pronger (3rd and Gagner).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Uh, how could he fit a player under the cap? He had to dump Hartnell for a 4th rd pick to make cap room.
And one or two trades wouldn't make a difference, there were no top 4 defenseman (unless you count 39 year old Timmo and 37 year old Streit), Mason, and basically 2 lines.

He might have mortgaged the future to squeeze into the playoffs, like 2013-14, but he managed to make the playoffs twice while rebuilding - but other than trading draft picks (and then finding cap room) what was he going to trade?

Hextall did move Rinaldo (3rd), McGinn (3rd), Coburn (1st and 3rd), Kimmo (2 2nds), Streit (4th and Filppula), Schenn & Vinnie (3rd & Weal), Grossman & Pronger (3rd and Gagner).
I would hope he could make the playoffs a couple of times in 5 years after inheriting Voracek at 25, Giroux at 26, Simmonds at 26, Couturier at 21, Schenn at 23, and Raffl at 25. Let alone the aging, but still good, Timonen and Streit.

I explicitly said that Hextall did some good things with unloading contracts. But you don't get to be under .500 and 2nd to last in your entire conference in the FIFTH season of your grand plan without repercussions. His NHL-level talent evaluations were terrible. And, as I said, if you can fit Dale Weise at $2.35M per for 4 seasons, you should be able to finagle a trade if you are a talented GM. Hextall is a fraud.

Reactions: tucson83

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
source.gif

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just to pre-empt the inevitable strawmen, I'd just like to be clear that my official stance is:

Hakstol can go **** himself
Hextall can go **** himself
AV can go **** himself
Fletcher can go **** himself
Holmgren can go **** himself
Scott can go **** himself

Gordon lover! Crying cause Gordon got demoted back to the AHL instead of the full time job? Is that why you hate AV so much?

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
People pining for Hextall while hating on Hagg when Hagg's role was much bigger in the Hextall/Hakstol era is actual irony.
Pushing back a little on this, since you've alluded to it at least twice in this thread, but the chronology matters for evaluation. We should want younger players to be given a little more leash hoping the extra experience leads to faster gains, helps stabilize their confidence and reinforces that mistakes don't automatically mean benching. Seeing no improvement over years, though, the line should be pulled in.

Sanheim, conversely, wasn't given the chance his play suggested, and a fresh voice said 'hey guys, wtf are we doing here? Let Sanny eat!'. It does kinda fit together.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hogg brings the argh SIIIIIIIIZE that coaches like Honkstink and AV love. Thank God he'll be gone when the expansion draft rolls around. The Flyers don't need to put more trash in the lineup. There's enough of it here already.

iu

"Save us, Sam Morin. You're our only hope!"

(Yeah, not bloody likely. But ...)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep, 180 lb mobile defensemen are the wave of the future, fortunately for Cooper, it's today, not tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad