Confirmed with Link: Robert Hagg Signs Two Year Extension ($1.6AAV)

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
schenn and simmonds as well.
Good point. Hextall inherited Voracek at 25, Giroux at 26, Simmonds at 26, Couturier at 21, Schenn at 23, and Ghost at 21. Hell, Raffl at 25 isn't a bad depth piece to inherit, either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Agree completely, if you think AV isn't better than Hak, its more gimmick then opinion.

AV was pure trash in the playoffs, but Honk was pure trash 24/7
Nope, it's consistency and objectivity.

If Hak was still here and had the exact year AV just had, you'd be freaking out and saying he needed to be fired, along with the GM.

The only thing AV did better than Hak in the regular season was the system. Meanwhile he made all the other same mistakes, plus a lot of things wrong that even Hak didn't do.
Then in the playoffs, he made all the same mistakes again, plus many more, and he also got rid of the only thing he did well in the regular season.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Hak was pure trash in every season. I just can't comprehend how people have forgotten how bad Hak was and still currently is in TO.

I was on the Hak Hate train from the get go tho, so maybe I am not a fair jury on him.

I wanted to like him cause he was different, but he became my most hated Flyer of all time

I haven't lost an iota of hate for that f***er, believe me - it's not in my nature. Just saying, French Hak is Original Hak in French. Because if he can't coach in the playoffs - and apparently he can't - then there is no point, no matter what he does in the regular season. Same shell, same coward.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Would you rather have Braun for last year, or the next 5 years with Nick Robertson?
Braun was a good pick up. Accomplished what they needed to. Simple as that. You don't like the deal. Oh well.

So you know for certain who the flyers would have taken with those picks?

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He flat out pissed away their years here.
Seriously. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. Five prime years of those guys completely pissed away. Five years and not one substantial trade for the NHL roster save for Gudas. Bob Clarke immediately came in and hit on the LeClair-Desjardins trade. Traded for Petr Svoboda, Kevin Haller, Karl Dykhuis. Fletcher comes in and trades for Niskanen and Braun in his first offseason. What the hell was Hextall doing for five years aside from stockpiling draft picks (missing on some big ones) and spying on the players?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't lost an iota of hate for that f***er, believe me - it's not in my nature. Just saying, French Hak is Original Hak in French. Because if he can't coach in the playoffs - and apparently he can't - then there is no point, no matter what he does in the regular season. Same shell, same coward.

I'm willing to give AV another shot before writing him off for a few reasons.

1 - He's taken his last 2 teams to the Cup and could have won either if not for insanely hot goaltending on the other side (Thomas and Quick).

2 - The 4 month break between regular season and Covid Cup hockey. The team didnt play the same and he didnt coach the same. They were all off collectively.

If he does the same thing next season, i'm out.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Braun was a good pick up. Accomplished what they needed to. Simple as that. You don't like the deal. Oh well.

So you know for certain who the flyers would have taken with those picks?
I don’t dislike Braun. But, I did think it was an overpayment.

I have no idea who they would have selected, probably not Robertson, but I know I would have.

The point isn’t about the player vs player. The point is about wasting assets, or at the very least misevaluating those assets.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The 2nd round pick traded for Braun, #41, ended up being Kaedan Korczak. Decent prospect, no world beater by any means. The Flyers simply could not afford another non-playoff season after five years of mediocrity under Hextall. They lost fans under Hextall, and you better believe bottom-lines matter to the corporate overlords. It's not a video game where you can turn off the firing option, be 2nd to last in your conference in year 5, and stay in charge. There are people above you whose jobs are on the line, as well.

Nick Robertson went 12 picks later at 53. Hey, I'm a fan. I selected him in the mock draft at 37. But the Flyers made their move for Brink, anyway. Who knows whom the Flyers would have picked at 41. But people forget there's an NHL product. And the Flyers' NHL product had been too bad for too long, and the owners were feeling the repercussions. You can't always just sit back and hope 2nd round picks turn into stars 5 years down the line. More end up duds than studs.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
I don’t dislike Braun. But, I did think it was an overpayment.

I have no idea who they would have selected, probably not Robertson, but I know I would have.

The point isn’t about the player vs player. The point is about wasting assets, or at the very least misevaluating those assets.
Well it is your opinion they wasted assets. I bet if you can ask the young Dman they may just may say differently. Ask the organization if it was wasted. My opinion is it wasn't wasting assets as the D needed help; has for years. That was the price they had to pay for said help. It was reported others were in on Braun and that was the cost.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Are you talking specifically Hagg, Grant and Thompson?

If so, yeah, I agree. I understand the Hagg situation moreso than Grant and Thompson. There was no reason to NOT scratch at least one of them and try something else, much like AV's willingness to scratch Farabee, JVR, Ghost, NAK, etc.

Outside of that, though, I'm mostly satisfied with how they've brought the young guys along. They've gotten their chances, and the good ones eventually stick.

They tend to only stick when the team has no other choice, unfortunately, and it is routine for guys to earn roles but not be rewarded. Which is bad for the team overall.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seriously. I'm getting angry just thinking about it. Five prime years of those guys completely pissed away. Five years and not one substantial trade for the NHL roster save for Gudas. Bob Clarke immediately came in and hit on the LeClair-Desjardins trade. Traded for Petr Svoboda, Kevin Haller, Karl Dykhuis. Fletcher comes in and trades for Niskanen and Braun in his first offseason. What the hell was Hextall doing for five years aside from stockpiling draft picks (missing on some big ones) and spying on the players?

Micromanaging their diets.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think he assumed he would be traded by then for not scoring enough and just not fitting well with his linemates
tenor.gif

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Well it is your opinion they wasted assets. I bet if you can ask the young Dman they may just may say differently. Ask the organization if it was wasted. My opinion is it wasn't wasting assets as the D needed help; has for years. That was the price they had to pay for said help. It was reported others were in on Braun and that was the cost.
Then, maybe don’t go after Braun and look somewhere else?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The 2nd round pick traded for Braun, #41, ended up being Kaedan Korczak. Decent prospect, no world beater by any means. The Flyers simply could not afford another non-playoff season after five years of mediocrity under Hextall. They lost fans under Hextall, and you better believe bottom-lines matter to the corporate overlords. It's not a video game where you can turn off the firing option, be 2nd to last in your conference in year 5, and stay in charge. There are people above you whose jobs are on the line, as well.

Nick Robertson went 12 picks later at 53. Hey, I'm a fan. I selected him in the mock draft at 37. But the Flyers made their move for Brink, anyway. Who knows whom the Flyers would have picked at 41. But people forget there's an NHL product. And the Flyers' NHL product had been too bad for too long, and the owners were feeling the repercussions. You can't always just sit back and hope 2nd round picks turn into stars 5 years down the line. More end up duds than studs.
I had Robertson at 18 fwiw.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I had Robertson at 18 fwiw.
I can't recall where I had Robertson on my list, other than I considered him a first-round talent. I took Jakob Pelletier at 22, but had Robertson close and was hoping he'd fall to my next pick at 37, which he did.

Reactions: VladDrag

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That's a bit like saying Tampa's roster and coaching staff only managed to get knocked out of the first round in last years playoffs to an 8 seed.

There is context

A great team can still lose a best of 7 game series in hockey. That's what happened to the 18-19 Lightning.

The 18-19 Flyers under Hexy and Hak were a dumpster fire for a third of a season, and had no discernible plan for how to get out of it. Not the same thing at all. They more than earned their pink slips.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad