Confirmed with Link: Robert Hagg Signs Two Year Extension ($1.6AAV)

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
I’ll never forgive Dave Hakstol for giving Hagg the start against the LA Kings that Sam Morin earned in training camp in 2017.

Having said that, I see no problem with contributing to Oscar Lindblom’s well being by having his best friend here for 2 years at that salary. Heck I think Oscar’s salary is too low by the amount of Hagg’s new deal.

And to be fair, He doesn’t make a lot of mistakes, he misses a lot of opportunities, but it’s easier for coaches to correct a mistake than create an opportunity.

also the reason Ghost didn’t work well with Braun is because Hagg forced him to be the offensive play driver on the pair and Braun couldn’t adjust to the stay at home role with ghost quick enough. If we keep Ghost, a third pair of Ghost and Hagg may work.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’ll never forgive Dave Hakstol for giving Hagg the start against the LA Kings that Sam Morin earned in training camp in 2017.

That was game 2 of the 17-18 season, and Hagg already started game 1 versus SJ.

Philadelphia Flyers Schedule

Morin was only on the roster as injury cover for Ghost. Hextall wanted Hagg and Sanheim in the NHL, and Morin in the AHL. As soon as they got home, Morin was sent down by the GM.

2017-10-11

Samuel Morin (D)

Lehigh Valley

ADD
Loaned from Philadelphia (NHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
My mistake. In San Jose then. How could Morin be on the team for injury cover for ghost when Hagg was in the lineup spot that Morin clearly outplayed Hagg for in training camp that year?
If Hagg is the worst defensemen in the nhl advanced stat wise, how could replacing him with Morin be worse? How could all the anger and vitriol directed at Hagg For the last two years turn to support when it’s suggested that replacing him with anyone who has the slighted chance at having more upside Is worse than having the worst advanced stats defenseman for most of his career in your top 6?

and don’t forget that Brandon Manning was on the team at the time also so being the worst defenseman on our team let alone the league was stiff competition. Andrew Macdonald was an option as well as radko gudas. Good thing we didn’t risk a couple losses in order to get a first round pick some experience instead of running Gudas, Macdonald, Manning, and Hagg out on the back end.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I agree Morin was ready that year and should've been given a chance. I was at the Rookie camp game vs NYI and he looked like an NHLer playing amongst a bunch of prospects to me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That was game 2 of the 17-18 season, and Hagg already started game 1 versus SJ.

Philadelphia Flyers Schedule

Morin was only on the roster as injury cover for Ghost. Hextall wanted Hagg and Sanheim in the NHL, and Morin in the AHL. As soon as they got home, Morin was sent down by the GM.

2017-10-11

Samuel Morin (D)

Lehigh Valley

ADD
[TD]Loaned from Philadelphia (NHL)
[TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[TBODY]
[/TBODY]
[/TD] [/TBODY]

Actually, Hextall had said he wanted all three to play, Hagg beat out Morin b/c he could play both sides, Morin was strictly a LHD.
Morin's opportunity opened up with an injury, unfortunately for him, he had blown out his knee.
Crap happens.

And Morin was no lock, he has always struggled with puck handling (they were trying to teach him to not look down at the puck on his stick), for all we know, he might have been exposed under pressure at the NHL level.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Actually, Hextall had said he wanted all three to play, Hagg beat out Morin b/c he could play both sides, Morin was strictly a LHD.
Morin's opportunity opened up with an injury, unfortunately for him, he had blown out his knee.
Crap happens.

And Morin was no lock, he has always struggled with puck handling (they were trying to teach him to not look down at the puck on his stick), for all we know, he might have been exposed under pressure at the NHL level.
Thank god we didn’t risk Robert Hagg’s development to find out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thank god we didn’t risk Robert Hagg’s development to find out.

It wasn't some conspiracy to keep Morin down, they didn't want to have one rookie in the pressbox.
Hagg was first up b/c of his ability to play RHD on a team with more LHDs. Gudas was the only true RHD on the team.

Manning actually had a solid season in 2017-18 as the 4th D-man paired with Gudas,
CF 50.65%, xGF 48.81% overall
CF 52.09%, xGF 49.95% with Gudas
AMac, Hagg and Sanheim filled out the third pair
Sanheim played with both Gudas and AMac
Hagg with Ghost and Provorov with AMac

In fact, Manning, despite his predilection for bad mistakes, had a solid 2016-17 as well. CF 51.17%, xGF 48.13%.
They were then smart enough to let him walk and he went straight downhill.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
But why did the brain trust go with Hagg when Morin clearly outplayed both Manning and Hagg in training camp?
And this isn’t directed at you deadhead but why is that we see pages upon pages of complaints and stats and eye tests and anything else anyone can think of regarding Hagg and his play, but when someone suggests Morin should have been given the chance he earned, everyone knows that however bad Hagg is, it would have been impossible for Morin to have better results.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My mistake. In San Jose then. How could Morin be on the team for injury cover for ghost when Hagg was in the lineup spot that Morin clearly outplayed Hagg for in training camp that year?

You should ask Hextall. He's the one who put Hagg on the roster and sent Morin down on 10/11/2017.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Someone decided to have more than one of you? Bold
giphy.gif

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Crap happens.

It was also when hakstol moved ghost to the left. So Sanheim and Morin could only play left. And hagg was the only of the three that could play right.

and Morin didn’t blow his knee till the ahl playoffs. Sorry facts are facts

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was also when hakstol moved ghost to the left. So Sanheim and Morin could only play left. And hagg was the only of the three that could play right.

and Morin didn’t blow his knee till the ahl playoffs. Sorry facts are facts

He had some injury, because another Dman went down for 10 games and Morin blew his opportunity to come up and replace him. It's been a few years and I don't care enough to look it up.

Point is Morin was never blocked, he just couldn't stay healthy and "Wally Pipp" anyone.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
He had some injury, because another Dman went down for 10 games and Morin blew his opportunity to come up and replace him. It's been a few years and I don't care enough to look it up.

Point is Morin was never blocked, he just couldn't stay healthy and "Wally Pipp" anyone.
He was playing in the ahl. Was called up and hextall flipped out. I want to say groin. Was sent back and that when all the talk about Morin trying to come up and go on injured reserve at the nhl.

seemed pretty clear that’s what hexy freaked about. Either he was playing through an injury. Then he stopped playing. For almost the whole year. Right before the ahl playoffs. He started playing more. Or maybe in the playoffs. Him and another player. We’re not playing and hexy said players need to learn to play through things in the playoffs. Next game he blew his knee.

either way hexy flipped about hiding an injury so he did what hexy want and was sat till healthy. Then when called out for not playing through injury. It was really strange and made no sense.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

Actually he was blocked. Follow along

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad