Robert Hagg Re-signs with the Flyers (report: 2 years at $1.15 million cap hit per season)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
But Hagg doesn't even have the skill/smarts to play on the third pairing. I don't have high expectations for a 5/6 D, but he doesn't even meet those.

He does nothing at a high level and, even if he did, his complete inability to move the puck is unacceptable for an NHL defensemen. There's a baseline that should be required and he's below that.

That's why Ghost is so damn great, even though he isn't strong, he's a smart player and incredible at moving the puck. When he's on the ice he's probably going to help in taking that puck out of the defensive zone, which is the best possible way to prevent a goal. Hagg will likely be in the defensive zone the entire time, unless a teammate saves him.

I'm 100% on board with the mentality of being patient with players in their first few NHL seasons, but Hagg isn't someone that just needs to adjust and get experience... he has the exact same flaws as he showed at lower levels and there's not much chance he can magically fix that against the hardest competition. Best case scenario for him would be to get carried by an elite player so his damage is minimized, but we don't want our stars to have to carry an anchor around on their back.

I know we will never agree on the Hagg topic. I will say one more thing though. The end of the year comparisons of Hagg's play vs other 3rd pairing defenders showed he played on par with other team's 3rd pairs (which includes his CF% which is crazy since how bad it was) (also this obviously means there were worse players than him and alot better players). Now, I can understand saying one wants one of the better 3rd pairings in the NHL, but overall his play showed he was middle of the pack with many other players doing worse than he did in his role. And many of those players didnt have the face 1st/2nd lines, instead 3rd/4th lines.

Honestly, I don't know what else can be said about Hagg. Scouting reports of when he was drafted, comments from people who watched him from SHL, WJC, AHL, & NHL, direct comparison reports of his play showing CF, CA, QUALCOMP, have all been used. At this point I think we are all going to stand our ground on this subject until we see how he performs this season. Hopefully we can all look at the coming season unbiasly. Because I know in my case, if he sucks, I will be ready to get rid of him.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Much of the hatred Hägg received here is linked to the circumstances that led to Sanheim being sent to LV. As if it was Hägg´s own fault.
Hägg is as well a young player who might or might not improve in certain aspects of the game as Sanheim is or many others are.

No matter how many times you say this, it doesn’t mean you speak for other people. You might as well get yourself a red HAGG hat.

This kind of, “The people who disagree with me just aren’t objective,” crap is devoid of substance and a sign you can’t make an actual argument. What an absolute joke of a stance.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I know we will never agree on the Hagg topic. I will say one more thing though. The end of the year comparisons of Hagg's play vs other 3rd pairing defenders showed he played on par with other team's 3rd pairs (which includes his CF% which is crazy since how bad it was) (also this obviously means there were worse players than him and alot better players). Now, I can understand saying one wants one of the better 3rd pairings in the NHL, but overall his play showed he was middle of the pack with many other players doing worse than he did in his role. And many of those players didnt have the face 1st/2nd lines, instead 3rd/4th lines.

Honestly, I don't know what else can be said about Hagg. Scouting reports of when he was drafted, comments from people who watched him from SHL, WJC, AHL, & NHL, direct comparison reports of his play showing CF, CA, QUALCOMP, have all been used. At this point I think we are all going to stand our ground on this subject until we see how he performs this season. Hopefully we can all look at the coming season unbiasly. Because I know in my case, if he sucks, I will be ready to get rid of him.
After multiple soul-crushing years of watching Hagg, I’m nearly 100% convinced I’m right here.

That said, I certainly have no issue with you disagreeing and waiting to see more.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
From Feb 1 to the end of the season Hagg ranked 7th among Flyers defensemen in ES TOI/g.

He only played in 2 of 6 playoff games, averaging only 11:50 TOI in those games.

He was healthy scratched at both the end of the regular season & playoffs.

He was played like a #4 at times, but that stopped.

And over the course of the season Hagg & Manning’s ES TOI was virtually identical (16:27 v 16:25) so they were interchangeable as 4 & 5.

And look at the D on the roster. You’re talking about a corps that after Provorov & Ghost at 1 & 2 had AMac, Manning, Hagg, Gudas, & Sanheim available for 3-7. Deck chairs on the Titanic. Gudas showed in the playoffs why they didn’t trust him this season, & when Sanheim played better after his recall, he got more time than Hagg.

So acting like Hagg was used as the team’s clear 4 throughout the season & will be again now that he’s signed is not accurate.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Yes

Yes

At least Weise had a chance of being helpful when the contract was signed. Turned out bad, but at least that one wasn't an obvious loss from day 1.

Clearly you're set against the guy. I disagree, he's perfectly adequate as a bottom pairing guy. You won't change your mind, i won't waste my time trying.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Clearly you're set against the guy. I disagree, he's perfectly adequate as a bottom pairing guy. You won't change your mind, i won't waste my time trying.
You’re right, I don’t like horrible players and I don’t see why I’d suddenly start.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
You’re right, I don’t like horrible players and I don’t see why I’d suddenly start.
k3wIaNU.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Meaning I don't say he sucks because I dislike him. I dislike him because he sucks.

I'm very consistent. Every player I hate is a piece of trash, all the ones I like are good. There's nothing else to it. All I care about is who helps the team win.

hrocks66

Nov 22, 2015
Meaning I don't say he sucks because I dislike him. I dislike him because he sucks.

I'm very consistent. Every player I hate is a piece of trash, all the ones I like are good. There's nothing else to it. All I care about is who helps the team win.

not sure how to phrase this so i will just be myself
Dude did Hagg Fu*k your girl???? this hate is way more than hockey​

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He would play for Gallant and Trotz right now and every other team easy.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He would play for Gallant and Trotz right now and every other team easy.
No kidding. People need to have some perspective and some patience. We drafted a good young all-around Dman, urged him to skip a Swedish apprenticeship and come to AHL early - when he could still have played Jr. over there. He does everything the team asks, works on his game in the A and finally gets a chance to play. He has a solid rookie year, staying within his role and providing a valuable service by being one of the only Dmen providing any physical presence at all on a soft team. He showed signs of being able to contribute more offensively too.

For most teams, this kind of progress and development would be applauded and fans would have hopes that he can continue to improve with more NHL experience. But not for Flyers' fans, no, he sucks on some fancy stats so let's get rid of him. What a dumb attitude, especially as concerns a team with several steaming piles of garbage in the lineup (Macdonald, Weise, Lehtera, Elliott, Neuvirth) and behind the bench. Instead, everyone is obsessing about a rookie Dman we should be happy to have, as most teams would be.

I like Hagg, I respect his commitment, attitude, professionalism and effort, and I wish him well in the upcoming season. If it turns out we eventually have too many good young D to keep him, so be it. We can trade him then or offer him up in the Expansion Draft. He's going to have a nice, long, successful NHL career. Please pass the bread and water. LOL!

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
No kidding. People need to have some perspective and some patience. We drafted a good young all-around Dman, urged him to skip a Swedish apprenticeship and come to AHL early - when he could still have played Jr. over there. He does everything the team asks, works on his game in the A and finally gets a chance to play. He has a solid rookie year, staying within his role and providing a valuable service by being one of the only Dmen providing any physical presence at all on a soft team. He showed signs of being able to contribute more offensively too.

For most teams, this kind of progress and development would be applauded and fans would have hopes that he can continue to improve with more NHL experience. But not for Flyers' fans, no, he sucks on some fancy stats so let's get rid of him. What a dumb attitude, especially as concerns a team with several steaming piles of garbage in the lineup (Macdonald, Weise, Lehtera, Elliott, Neuvirth) and behind the bench. Instead, everyone is obsessing about a rookie Dman we should be happy to have, as most teams would be.

I like Hagg, I respect his commitment, attitude, professionalism and effort, and I wish him well in the upcoming season. If it turns out we eventually have too many good young D to keep him, so be it. We can trade him then or offer him up in the Expansion Draft. He's going to have a nice, long, successful NHL career. Please pass the bread and water. LOL!

couldn't agree more...the Hagg hate on this board is over the top. I get it that they want Sanheim and other higher upside guys to play...as do I. Is Hagg perfect or will he be a top pairing defender? no but he's a young kid still developing. Give me guys like him over the Shultz's of the world any day....

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Uhhhhh........... what player are you talking about here?

The red text is not a description of Haggs development path.

The blue is not a description of Haggs performance.

So I assume I'm missing something and you're talking about a different player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg played like a 6th defenseman, who do you think is the average 6th defenseman? Luke Schenn? Phaneuf? Orpik? Ceci? Boychuk? Bieksa? Fleury?
Out of the 162 defensemen who played 800 minutes 5x5 (10 minutes a game), there were at least 10 who had worse seasons statistically than Hagg.
Probably 40 or 50 who had worse seasons than MacDonald.

Or you could go with Corsica player ratings:
NHL Player Ratings, NHL Player Rankings
Hagg #201 of 228
Ghost #19
Provorov #45
MacDonald #114
Gudas #119
Sanheim #134
Manning #157
Folin #172

But if you accept them to lower Hagg's value, you also have to accept MacDonald was our 3rd best defenseman by a wide margin over Sanheim and Manning.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
No matter how many times you say this, it doesn’t mean you speak for other people. You might as well get yourself a red HAGG hat.

This kind of, “The people who disagree with me just aren’t objective,” crap is devoid of substance and a sign you can’t make an actual argument. What an absolute joke of a stance.

You being so emotional, didactical and aggressive about it seems to be some sort of proof that I was right though. Never have even said I was an admirer of Hägg. Just defended him against over-the-top criticizm like "This deal is worse than the one with Weise".

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Striiker is at heart a fundamentalist, there is good and evil, and nothing in between, and I know the good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad